Ba Gua vs Hsing-I

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Sheyja, Jul 18, 2005.

1. JACKOFALLTRADES

JACKOFALLTRADES Banned Banned

internal martial arts are fake why dont you guys do yoga or somthing.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

[​IMG]

3. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

I guess as the namesake implies, your a Jack of all trades .... except common sense

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

he clearly doesn't underdstand, the hidden deadly powers of yoga :D

5. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Oh did you get hit in a pressure point or something hehehe

7. Jon1983uk

Jon1983uk Valued Member

Lol I wasn't a firm believer in internal arts and chi when I first started, then I got a chi strike from a red belt and went flying. That made me believe! lol

Internals arts are better for the body anyway, that's why I like 'em. :)

From watching Ba Gua, I'd like to think the Hsing I guy has a chance, but my Sifu teaches Bag Gua to advanced Hsing I pupils anyway. :)

8. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Firstly, it's more the artist than the art, but I'd say that in the case of two equally skilled opponents, the arts even out.

I would, however, put my money on a xingyi beginner over a bagua beginner. Xingyi's just so simple and direct at first, it puts the beginner at an advantage.

Of course, I'm a xingyi beginner, so I might be biased.

9. Jon1983uk

Jon1983uk Valued Member

Thought I'd raise my n00b hand here as I've noticed 'xingyi' on several ocassions, is this the actual Chinese spelling of Hsing-I or something? :)

10. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Same thing under different romanization rules.

Hsing I is the Wade-Giles spelling xingyi is the pinyin spelling. Regardless they're both pronounced roughly "Sheeng EE".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade-Giles

11. Jon1983uk

Jon1983uk Valued Member

12. robertowinchung

robertowinchung New Member

somebody practice Ba mei

hello if am practice winchung and also something else i like practice kunfu and my opinion is kufu is more about internal energy and internal peace please if any body know about pa mei this kunfu is hard to find is and is not simliar than pa kua
    this is different kunfu that i try to reach but i dont know if somebody have any idea about this system
    thanks

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

14. polecat63

polecat63 Valued Member

Actually I was just hit by a Ki ball from a DBZ playa!

Oh, and Xing Yi rules!

15. DAT

DAT Valued Member

"When Ba Gua practitioners fight against Hsing-I practitioners, the result is virtually certain. Ba Gua wins."

Wow, I thought we all had evolved beyond such statements :confused:

16. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Actually, it's traditionally agreed that it'd be a stalemate (look at ur IMA history).

IMHO, I like bagua better but I think hsing-i would usually beat it because it takes a lot more skill to be good at bagua.

Just like I love IMA but it's clear that someone who has learned muay thai for three years will whup someone who has been doing IMA for three years.

17. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Hello,

Let me jump in.

The best fighter is the one with the highest neigong level as well as martial art skill. Hence they will explore all internal styles not just one.

Namaste.

18. xNejix

xNejix New Member

I totally agree on a stalemate opinion and think it’s the most logical choice when thinking of the two styles, Xing Yi and Ba Gua, going head to head. At different stages of fighting level though it’s hard to tell which style would over come the other …. and even then it wouldn’t really matter given the potential of full ability is not there yet. For example it took me 2 months to get the two palm changes right with Ba Gua and three months (right on the dot) to do the Wood Element of Xhing Yi right. Now keep in mind when I say “the right way” I mean as close to right as I could possible be at tree months ….. like riding a bike for the first time you need to ride on the grass so you land on grass when you fall of. The next step is to be able to ride on pavement for lets say a block. When you get to that level it’s the closest thing to riding a bike that you’ve ever done. Although that’s not the greatest analogy I hope you can still see my point. For everyone, learning is different and can depend on all sorts of circumstances.

I do have something to say about the movements of both arts and how they correlate with each other, and would like to get everyone’s opinion on it. Best put on another thread.

One more thing, I think that there really isn’t a best style like most Kung Fu movies teach us ….. only favorites. To see a thread about Opsing moves that would be cool, and maby a little more progressive. :Angel:

- neji

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005