Ba Gua applications video

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Considered, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Considered

Considered New Member

Hello everyone internal style :) and anyone else for that matter...

Here's a Ba Gua application video, I was suprised by it because you don't often see so much of it going this speed. Does anyone know of any other similar videos?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgu0ZZUM8qE"]Ba Gua applications[/ame]

Also, does it take a long time to get that diversity of applications in Ba Gua?

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

It may not be the way I prefer to fight but that guy has some nice movement.

3. Considered

Considered New Member

I think that some Wing Chun skills would cross-over into that awesomely!

I love the spinning elbows they do too...

I did a little bit of training with a Ba Gua teacher outside of his class a while back. I was very impressed. He was asking me to demonstrate power with palm strikes, and able to subtly redirect on contact resulting in no transference of energy whatsoever....

It's cool stuff. If I was more patient I'd do it without any hesitation.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Well I'm sold, er when do I learn to air bend..? :D

5. Considered

Considered New Member

Perhaps this will help:
    Learn to be an Airbender

6. sensei_dez

sensei_dez Valued Member

I loved it! that was an awesome ba gua video,

most of the other videos I've seen do almost all pushes and palms, this was the best

7. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

That's some cool stuff. Very unusual.

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

nothing as flashy as warren's stuff (i love the way that guy moves, very fluid), but this bloke has some pretty nice videos up:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPLi2ArpFfk"]bagua ba mu zhang - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCSSxZOXWBA"]Ba gua applications-single palm change -3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoHD7-FdtC0"]ba gua applications - YouTube[/ame]

10. Considered

Considered New Member

They're certainly a lot more informative - thanks very much for those!

He comes across as someone who'd make an excellent teacher.

Is this representative of what someone would actually learn in a Ba Gua class?

It's amazing what inspiration can come from just walking around in circles properly ;) It reminds me of a section in this book:

[​IMG]

The author talks about a discussion he had with Cheng Man-ch'ing, something like this, he asked "what is the best practice in Tai Chi?" to which Cheng replied "the standing postures", the author asked him "why don't we just do that then", Cheng replied "because no-one would come to class".

...getting back to the point though; actually those videos express the same type of stuff that I learned in Jun Fan, but his movement is so much more, in terms of angles, fluidity and completeness of movement - this is why Ba Gua is so interesting to me... I was just mentioning that to Sketco, and others, in another thread.

I wish he had a class just down the road, I go straight down there and say "look, look, I can do some of this stuff... can you teach me to go round in circles with it :)" lol, joking aside I really would.

Sorry, just babbling away there, too excited to see a kindred spirit - so to speak!

What I was really interested in is whether this is anything like what I might expect to find in a regular Ba Gau class?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  11. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

You would be very lucky to have a teacher who has these sort of details, and this is certainly where the real skill and control lies. It is very rare in IMA. I would also say the other ba gua vids/practitioners posted do not know this level of detail. Only my opinion of course, but the real stuff does not look as flashy and is a lot more economical like the vids Fish posted. Another factor is how quick control is established and ideally this should be total and from the first contact point.

If I remember correctly the guy in Fish's vids is Paul Rogers and is based and teaching somewhere in the UK, I would definitely check him out if I had an opportunity.

12. Considered

Considered New Member

Thanks InTheSpirit. I certainly recognize his application of the energies, this is the type of input I need to progress I believe. I think you are correct in your assessment of his level. Unfortunately he couldn't be further away from me in the country. He's obviously had some very direct exposure to the master(s).

It's disappointing that it's not common...

Never mind, I'll get there eventually :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  13. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

No worries. I think this is his link :

www.taijitogether.co.uk/id23.html

Seems he is based is Somerset, hopefully he will be doing more seminars, I know he had one in Berlin not too long ago, but that's kinda out of the way.

If you get a chance to train with him, do report back please.

14. Considered

Considered New Member

I've got no way of making that happen at the moment, and it's a loooong way from here (certainly beyond walking distance).

If it ever does happen I'll be sure to post something here in the Internal Arts section. I think I'll send an email across and enquire about seminars.

Thanks again!

15. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Yeah, I know what you mean, life tends to get in the way unfortunately.

If your ever down in London give us a shout, we have a very similar approach in I Liq Chuan, maybe you'll find it interesting too.

16. Considered

Considered New Member

Cool... will do :)

17. kwaichang

kwaichang New Member

where is the video referred to?

I don't see a link...