AxelB's running, lifting and kicking log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by axelb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Another MAP challenge - These are getting to be fun...

Travess

Knee Rider, Xue Sheng and axelb like this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I used to do that routine and similar ones from Ross Enamait twice a week for 30 minutes on the heavy bag. A real intense workout, but that was in my 20s.

I'll save this for my once a month HIIT type workout. Since all my lung problems I'll keeping the majority of my workouts in the medium HR zones, but I do enjoy the challenge from this!

Xue Sheng likes this.
  3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

That front kick at 2:11 looked sharp!

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

cheers :)
    I'm trying to sort out a slow motion video to highlight my flaws. Trying to make this shadow boxing into a regular habit (I always do it whilst waiting for the kettle to boil, or food to cook).

Thursday evening
    Kickboxing.
    Standard warmup and stretching.
    Mostly padwork - starting punch combo's.
    Moved on to punch kick combo's

Got the mats out and worked on jab cross, duck to take down.
    Kick only drills in line, then with the kick paddles.
    Did a drill in a circle with people around the circle, you had to kick whichever pad made the noise.

late dinner again, so after training I didn't do any extra workout.

Friday

Chest feeling nice and clear, 2C out on the car thermometer, so wrapped up and went for the usual long run.
    It's been a while since I upped the tempo, working mostly in the mid HR range, so after the first half of the run, I moved into the next HR zone - 164 to 182 bpm. I mostly sat between 165 and 170 for the second half.

8.7 miles 1h23min 9'33" min/mi avg pace 167bpm average HR 1403 kcal.

I actually planned for just over 9 mile, but I calculated wrong.

It felt good to get some pace up, and also a lot easier without any heavy lifts :D
    I've estimated that over 8mile run, on deload week I can usually run ~1min/mi faster with the same relative effort.
    Usually over the course of run focused training I will loose 1-1.5 stone (5-7kg) which takes ~1min/mi off my pace.

Average weight this week 91kg (not much change from last week)

5. Travess

I've got a lot of time for these 'trigger' drills, regardless of the 'ask' (response required) as it can be very telling, even for the hardest hitting and/or fittest practitioners.

That is a very respectable pace at that distance, which you should be pretty happy about. (and I'm sure you are.)

Travess

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

I've done these drills at a few different clubs, my kungfu club did them a lot - I like the challenge in having to focus all around and strike from whichever angle direction. The one at my kungfu club was a counter to a straight attack (straight kick, or straight punch).

In all instances I noticed the coach likes to speed things up closer to the end of the round for extra pressure.

thanks, I am happy with it with my current weight :D I usually run at just over 80kg on races.

7. Travess

Does your weight fluctuate a lot?

81-82kg is my everyday walking around weight (he says like he has any oher kind of weight) and that is where it has pretty much stayed, regardless of diet or exercise, for the best part of a decade...

Travess

8. axelb

In winter I concentrate on strength training, so the associate eating and muscle growth adds weight, most years it will go up to 95kg ish, and in most of summer it is about 83kg, or less if I have a race coming up.

I'll only every intentionally put on weight November to February, the rest of the year keep it steady.

Nachi likes this.
  9. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

This is a bit silly remark, but I am quite envious that you can just add or take away 10 kg and more as you please :D I wish I had that ability! :D

axelb likes this.
  10. axelb

I know people who style l struggle with weight (mainly struggle to lose it) for all my other health issues I certainly have no issue losing weight/fat, which is quite a usefully attribute which I feel gifted with in a way.
    I used to find it hard to put on weight until I hit my 30s. I still have to eat about 5000-6000kcal daily with weight training to put muscle, I could possibly put more on, but I don't like to neglect cardio or martial arts training.

Nachi likes this.
  11. Nachi

I should have never asked :D 5000-6000 kcal? For real? Can a human even do that? :D My app tells me I need to eat 1200 kcal daily to lose weight, which I find just as impossible. So I exercise like crazy to be actaully able to eat around 1800 and wouldn't need to dine carrot, but there must be some mistakes somewhere as the results do come, but at a pace that people like you probably wouldn't be able to understand :D Dang, I really am envious now :D

Travess likes this.
  12. axelb

I someone's use my fitness Pal to track it:
    without exercise it says I need 2500 to break even. After exercise with HR monitor it comes to about 3500-4000 to break even, and knowing what my metabolism is like I need at least another 1000kcal of good food on top to make muscle growth. During my race training phase it will be 2200 on rest days and 3000-4000 on run days, which comes to about 2000-2500 net intake.

I know a few friends who are the polar opposite, but they can look at a dumbells and put muscle on.

I have people I run with and at martial arts ask how I eat to lose weight, but I don't say as I think it's not a good example for most people.

I do have some kyptonites, which will pile weight on, but it's bad weight (like beer ;) ) I don't drink much these days anyway, at most one a week.

Often it's a case of having double portion of a what I cook for the rest of the family, and having a smoothie with protien between meals, it adds up pretty quickly :)

Nachi likes this.
  13. axelb

I rested most of the weekend -active rest with household work.

Sunday
    45 minutes trigger point roller - always less painful as my muscles are a lot more relaxed on deload week.

Monday
    My son slept well the last 2 nights, maybe something changed? I feel full of energy not having to get up in the night and again at 5-6am ish :)

Deadlift.
    Back to the normal routine. Volume week.
    warmup. 60kgx5, 80kg x5, 100kg x5, 120kg x5, 135kg x5, 145kg x2.

working-set:
    7 Sets of 150kg x3.
    Last set AMRAP 150kg x5.

My HR dropped well and I was ready to go within 3minutes for each set (I wait until 5mins to make sure). Grip was going on the last 2 sets.

Bent over row 60kg 3x8
    hanging grip with calf raises 60kg 3x10.
    Really felt the grip on the hanging grip.

barbell Lunges - 20kg 3x10.

Usually I feel "destroyed" at the end of deadlift volume, but felt really good - I'm not sure what I did right this week, but I hope it lasts :)

Knee Rider and Nachi like this.
  14. Nachi

I really don't like people like you! :mad: I bet you are taking the slimming luck from the rest of us :D
    Although... when reading the rest, it must be quite expensive to feed you :D As a saying goes: "You are cheaper to dress than feed." :)

I will say this with a bit of a mental struggle on my part, but still I wish you good luck with losing or gaining weight as you plan right now. Although it is probably not necesary :(

axelb likes this.
  15. axelb

you're not the only one ;) I am despised by many as they watch me eat my 2-3 portions for a meal. and 2 pudding portions. Even when I used to fight I was in the under 75kg and eating the same. I think it's worse watching a skinny guy eat that much.

It can be costly, but I plan it well, so it doesn't cost so much, things like milk and whey protein are relatively cheap per portion. These days I could be called a "flexitarian" as I don't eat much meat (once or twice a week), which is usually the expensive part. My protein sources consist mostly fish, quorn, milk, whey protein, beans and soya.

When we were tighter on cash I a lot of meals based around whole milk, and tinned tuna which is very cheap, but gets boring quick.

I would probably not like me also if I couldn't lose weight that easily :D

Nachi likes this.
  16. Nachi

Ugh, I don't even want to hear anymore XD You glutton! I had a friend like that too. She (!) was very, like very slim and ate 5 pieces of bread for breakfast, while I was full after one... it was hard even watching it :D

I see. Milk is good. I was also thinking about getting some protein like that so that I can mix it into my oat flakes for breakfast or my new usual snack (home made white yoghurt with something). I will look it up perhaps :) I do eat meal more or less daily, but my app says I could usually use some more protein.

I am glad you understand :D (sorry)

axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

It's great for things like that when you need a bit more protien. On training days I add some to my oats in the morning :D

I think it works well in a routine for me when I change to a calorie deficit, I can remove the protien from my mid meal shakes, and switch to skimmed milk, or even just a fruit and water mix. It means
    I still have the same eating habits, but the nutritional content changes which feels easier to me to deal with rather than removing the "meal".

18. axelb

Tuesday

Bench day.
    Warm-up with 2 minutes light shadow boxing.
    Warm-up sets: 20kgx5, 40kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx5, 80kgx5.
    working 7 sets of 92.5kgx3.
    Last set AMRAP 92.5kgx5
    My HR dropped between sets quickly for me again within 2 minute it was 80bpm, which is what I consider enough to go again. I added extra minute for the latter sets.

Checked my plan and realised I miscalculated and should have been 87.5kg, but it felt ok, so hopefully I don't get megaDOMS™

curls 3x12 20kg
    Push-ups 2x15.

I ran out of time, but following @Travess example, I made time.
    So whilst I was cooking dinner;
    Finger push-ups only 1 set of 15;
    My grip is suffering, so I didn't want to over do it.

Avg HR 99bpm. Max 147bpm 250kcal. 55min session.

I plan rest tomorrow, but I'm itching to get back on the bag, so I may do a light short session.

Travess likes this.
  19. Travess

Oh man, and I'm cooking dinner tonight too... #noexcuses

Travess

axelb likes this.
  20. axelb

:D

I didn't think it thought though, trying to grate and mix after each set felt like an extra workout!