AxelB's running, lifting and kicking log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by axelb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The hardest thing is that martial arts are year long there is no off season, most sport make the gains off season and drop volume of both strength and conditioning in season and maintain levels, if your chosen sport has no off season your options are limited.

But it's not all doom and gloom most people are at best intermediate lifters with average conditioning in fact most of us are beginners if we are honest, which means gains can come quickly on relatively low volume and low frequency. Problem is most want to think they are advanced and thus need a heavy and high volume approach (I'm guilty of this too) and simply train too much and burn out or get frustrated.

1) Plan your training around rest days, at least two full rest days,
    2) try to limit your hard days to two or three at most, if that means you lift on your hard MMA day so be it, reduce volume accordingly, if it means you only have time for one hard fully body session in the weight room so be it.
    3) make your other training days recovery based, easy conditioning, bw or isolation exercises. Prehab work and so on.

Realize as martial artists we cant follow 5,3,1, west side or 5x5 and expect the results someone not doing MAs would get, but also realise it doesn't matter a little is better than nothing when your starting point is low

Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

well put :) At my peak I'm only in the intermediate stage for power lifting standards for deadlift and low bar squat, which quickly changes when I put on weight. Since getting back into martial arts classes I've found it a whole lot more challenging to get it all in and progress, but even a little progress is good progress.

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep my best comp lifts always put me last in national meets for my weight category and I never improved at the same rate my team mates did, they lifted two three times a week and that was it, I lifted the same and did MMA or grappling two three times a week as well, it just doesn't work like that the body can only handle so much stress

Knee Rider, Travess and axelb like this.
  4. axelb

Wednesday 10th Jan
    Mostly rest. Throughout the day I did 3x2 minutes shadow boxing.
    3x 90s side split stretching
    20 minutes trigger point roller, this helped loosen up my calves which were feeling tight.
    Little to no pain in my heel area, certainly pain free after the roller.

Thursday

Checked my peak flow before going: 680, which is within normal range for me. Anything below 650 I will take action on, anything under 600 is rest time.

Kickboxing 1 hour

General with warm-up with some running, so I kept my trainers on as it's in a school hall with hard floor (my feet/legs do not do barefoot running!)
    We did about 3 minutes plank, which I managed to hold for most of it; the extra day rest from deadlift made a difference.
    Push-ups holding up and down to a count, didn't do so well on this, could feel the bench work slowing me.

Worked some basics, front kick, turning kick, side kick, back fist's.

Onto pad work continuous on each side then swap front kick of each side, turning kick, axe kick. After I few warmups I sped the drill up and felt out of breath quickly compared to normal. I think my extra weight is contributing to this.

Next spinning back kick drills, which I need practise at as stuck (Along with all spinning kicks).
    5 each side then swapped with partner.
    I took it slow to get my focus for the first go, then sped up to full speed.
    Landed about 4/5 on the focus paddle when executing full speed.

Hand combo next in focus mitt
    Rear uppercut, lead hook, cross, 2 knees on each side.

The elbow combo: lead hooking elbow, rear down elbow, back to lead elbow and upward back elbow.

When I got home I did some more stretching (2x2min) and kicking
    2 sets of 10 continuous head height kicks each side
    Turning kick,
    Hook kick
    Side kick

10 minutes on the trigger point roller.

Morik and Knee Rider like this.
  5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Kudos sir!

As much time as I try to dedicate to my addiction, um, I mean training, I have never once continued on after class...

Travess

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

haha, addiction definitely. I don't get much class time these days, so whilst my body is warmed up I usually have time for a bit extra whilst I'm making my post workout smoothy :D

Friday

Peak flow measure 670 before I started.
    7.9 miles 1h24mins 10'45" min/mi 158 avg HR 1319kcal burnt.
    I felt like I had more energy than last week. The extra weight is adding to my HR unsurprisingly.
    Legs felt taxed, but not problems with my calves.

After I finished, I did a bit of stretching and 2 minutes shadow boxing, followed by 2x2min side split stretch.

Finished with an ice bath. They feel so much worse in the winter, but it relieved a lot of the dull ache I was feeling.

Nachi likes this.
  7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

What goes into this mate? My post workout nutrition is shocking and I always wake up ruined after a training day.

8. axelb

It's usually a mix of whatever fruit I have around, often it's;

Semi skimmed milk (about half a pint),
    Half a banana,
    a scoop (I think 25g) of chocolate flavored protein powder (from my protien),
    under tablespoon of peanut butter
    A small handful of spinach,
    sometimes a small handful of blueberries.

Usually it takes a while to blend the spinach and blueberries in, so I let it sit a few times before blasting it.

Knee Rider likes this.
  9. axelb

Friday evening I joined in with my daughter at Kickboxing. 1 hour starting with loads of running and bouncing, so I kept my trainers in and minimised the jumping/running.
    Finished the warm-up with 50 push-ups and 50 sit-ups continuous, only managed 20 Push-ups before I cramped, so went to kneeling push-ups for the last 30. (My 9 year old daughter finished before me :D)
    The rest of the class was mostly kids syllabus, hand drills and finished with a tag style game.

Saturday
    Rest, a dull ache by my left heel, I'll do some rehab/stretching later.

Knee Rider likes this.
  10. axelb

Sunday 14th January

Mostly active rest. A hectic and stressful day, about 5 hours bad sleep, woken by the little one, who then misbehaved all day. I felt drained by the end of the day.

Less than 5 minutes stretching all over, 20 minutes light trigger point work.

Went through Yang 24 step form twice and finished with 5 minutes of zhan zhuang breathing to clear my head.

Monday

Deadlift. Some singles moving up near max.
    I had this planned, but I felt tentative/anxious about doing it as another poor nights sleep. Regardless I went head first as I often do.

Warm-up: 60kgx5, 80x5, 90x5, 100x5, 115x3, 135x2, 142.5x1, 152.5kgx1

working sets, singles to test to at least 172.5kg;
    162.5kg, 172.5kg- form felt good, relatively not too hard, I felt I could do another 10kg, so I did 182.5kg (current personal best).
    It was a slow grind, but I got it without any form break down. I felt I could have got another 2.5-5kg on, but a chance my form may broke down, so left it at that for this month.

Bent row, superset with calf raise whilst gripping.

60kg 3x5 bent row
    60kg 3x8 calf raise

2 minute shadow box, 2 minute stretch.

I planned more but I ran out of time.

Chest felt a bit rough this afternoon, and tickle in the throat, depending if they changes I may not do anything tomorrow and shift bench a day across.

During lifting;
    HR
    Avg 116bpm
    Min 86bpm
    Max 156bpm
    454kcal burnt in 54 mins.

Nachi and Knee Rider like this.
  11. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Wow! That's.... a lot! :O From my point of view at the very least. Congrats on your personal record! :) What was your previous one?

axelb likes this.
  12. axelb

same as my previous, I deadlifted that last year, I was about 95kg then (90kg today), and it was harder, so I definitely feel I can lift more. Resetting my lifting plan for another go next month :D

I'm aiming 190kg ish

Nachi likes this.
  13. axelb

Travess likes this.
  14. Travess

Cool...!!!

Here's what I got :oops:

images-1.jpg

Travess

axelb likes this.
  15. axelb

Tuesday
    Bench workout during lunch break.
    2 minute shadow boxing
    Warm-up 20kgx5, 40x6, 60x5, 70x3, 80x2, 90x1.

Singles; 97.5kg, 102.5kg (no problems so far)
    so I plan to go up 5kg a time, but I had to get back quick, I decided to go 110kg, down to chest then slowly back to 3/4 the way before failing. Rested up, then dropped down to 105kg, 1 rep with more in the tank, so I went 3 reps, and didn't risk more.

2x10 push-ups,
    2x10 push-ups on fingers.

2 minute shadow boxing, 2 minute stretch.

My chest felt rough again this afternoon, tomorrow will be a full rest day as planned.

Nachi and Knee Rider like this.
  16. Knee Rider

Finger pressups?? Hats off to you, Bruce ;)!

axelb and Travess like this.
  17. Travess

Just tried 3 of these (no, not 3 sets, 3 reps!)
    and it took me a few seconds longer than it should have, just to be able to fully clench my fists again afterwards...

Travess

Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  18. axelb

They're good for extra grip strength to help deadlift, also I get a little deeper on the pushups :D

19. Knee Rider

Actually I just did a few and they weren't as bad as I thought! Absolutely zero chance I could do 3x10 at this point but I might mix them in a bit during my home workouts! It'll be like the shaolin temple up in these logs before long!

axelb and Travess like this.
  20. Travess

I draw the line at shaving my head, or making a vow celibacy...

Travess

axelb, Knee Rider and Nachi like this.