AxelB's running, lifting and kicking log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by axelb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Monday 1 hour Bjj
    Working escapes from side control.
    Afternoon 15 mins run

Tuesday
    Morning barbell row, curls, shoulder press
    Evening 1 hour Bjj
    Escapes from side control. Definitely need to practice this more.
    Can pull it off sometimes, but a lighter brown belt completely shut down my escapes even though it felt like perfect setup.

Wednesday
    Bench press, shoulder press, curl, pushups

Evening 90 mins BJJ. 1543 calories burnt.
    Single leg X entry from butterfly sweep and 2 sweeps. Great to drill this as I've been working on this entry a lot.

Thursday 10 minutes lifting
    Shoulder press, squat, curl.
    Evening 30 minutes stretching.

Friday 15 minutes run.

Weight down to ~83kg, 13st2lbs.

Mitch, Travess and Nachi like this.
  2. axelb

Monday 1 hour BJJ 951calories AVG HR 130bpm
    Drilled far side arm bar from side control, and using far arm for straight arm lock.
    3 rounds of sparring

Afternoon 12min treadmill run. 1 mile. 197cal AVG HR 144bpm

Tuesday morning lifting, 10 mins
    Evening BJJ 1 hour 964cal HR AVG 133bpm

Drilled closed guard cross choke with lapel.
    Positional sparring from 50/50 and back control, followed by 2 rounds of sparring.

Wednesday morning 15 minutes lifting
    Evening 90 mins BJJ 1594 cal AVG HR 145bpm.

From standing, pulling to single leg X, then X guard. 2 different sweeps from X guard.
    This got my HR up, with my partner we added various resistance.

5 rounds of sparring. We had a group getting ready for competition, so sparring has been more intense, and those competing really have upped their game which is great to see. As their skill levels go up, the rest of us training also up the level.
    At the end of this we did a rope climb which goes up to 10 foot (rough guess). Hands only climb, so you cannot use legs to grip. I managed to just get up to the target point.

Thursday morning 40 minutes bench and other lifting. 30 minutes stretching

Afternoon 20 minutes treadmill
    My watch crashed twice trying to record, so no idea on the stats, but was about my usual pace.

Weight 13st, 82.5kg, bf ~13%

Nachi likes this.
  3. axelb

Pretty much been following the same routine.

BJJ Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
    Run and morning small lift on Monday, Thursday, Friday
    Bigger lift morning Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday

Weekend no planned workout, usually walking 1 hour a day.

Weight still hanging around 13st 2lb, depending on the day.

Had my flu vaccination last Thursday, so I took out Fridays workout ready for the usual fatigue. Back to normal by Saturday/Sunday.

Mitch and Nachi like this.
  4. axelb

Week after flu vaccination, no problems, back to the same routine.

This week things didn't go to plan, son was off school so I couldn't train Monday. Other half was away so no evening training.
    I managed to get 1 lunch BJJ session in this week, and worked in extra treadmill running which was all I had time for.
    Lifting routine stayed the same.

Today I had COVID vaccination (booster I guess it's the same thing).
    Next week I can only get in 2bjj sessions so I'll add extra cardio again in Tuesday.

Weight has stayed much the same despite eating more and burning less through training. I suspect I'll get the usual 1 week weight change delay which usually happens.

Xue Sheng, Mitch, Nachi and 1 other person like this.
  5. axelb

Well training Monday, Tuesday Wednesday was going well. Last week things turned a corner, a lot came together well, then Wednesday 2nd round my right knee went pop.
    Feels like my MCL, not as bad as my left one in April, but still going to set me back a few weeks.

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Sorry to hear this mate - Take is easy and rest up, there will be plenty more corners to turn in 2023'

axelb likes this.
  7. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Yes, so sorry to hear this. Hopefully you will be able to recover soon. :( Fingers crossed.

axelb likes this.
  8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

wishing you a speedy comeback mate

axelb likes this.
  9. axelb

Able to walk around without issues.

Running slowly in a straight line is ok.
    I went to class this week, did the warm up that I could and some drills, but no sparring for a few weeks.
    No problem with bench or pull-ups, so that's my workout this week

Travess likes this.
  10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Ouch dude, I hope it's something simple.

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

Things are progressing well.

Training Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm able to do the warm-up without issues and drilling.

Avoiding any sparring for at least another week.

Today 1 hour BJJ.

Drilling defense from closed guard when they setup a stack pass.
    Going to knee shield and scissor sweep, various other attack options also.

Lifting bench, dumbbell shoulder press, push-ups and squats (no weight)
    12 minute run on treadmill without issues.

Travess and Nachi like this.
  12. axelb

Training Monday, Tuesday Wednesday BJJ
    On Tuesday and Wednesday I had 1 round of steady sparring. No issues with my knee.

Body weight squats and stretching every day are progressing well.
    I had a few long walks at the weekend and the knee is a bit stiff so I'm avoiding any running this week.

Nachi likes this.
  13. Nachi

It's great you are able to train with the injury!

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

Changed training up a bit, so it's more spread out to Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

I've been able to spar without issues most times and changed my default knee cut pass to work more on over under so there is less risk to knee when under pressure.

It's worked out pretty well to check variations of the pass which I didn't really do much since white belt. This pass I focused on most of white belt.

Nachi and Jaydub like this.
  15. axelb

Still on it. 2 times a week is guarantee, 3 is a bonus.

Hayfever is killing my asthma, keeping my asthma protocol really tight, so I can keep training.

Kitchen renovation is going on, so gym out of access. I'm doing a lot of ad hoc workouts on days in not at BJJ. I can't do any serious workouts on BJJ days as my asthma has been bad for a few weeks.
    That being said, arm bar seems to be my favourite sub, hitting it a lot for some reason.
    Mcl tear is in the forgotten realm.
    So with your my next 3 month plan will probably be back to knee cut variations, other items to be considered.

Nachi likes this.
  16. axelb

Last few weeks with kitchen renovation meant I have been getting 1 lesson a week in BJJ.
    Every weekend is DIY related activity so I haven't had much "rest days".

This week looked like back to 3 a week.
    Monday was my usual but couldn't due to delayed kitchen work.
    Tuesday 1 hour BJJ back control.
    Wednesday was ready to go and class was cancelled. Went for a 1.5 mile run instead.

Today I tidied up, getting things back into the kitchen, so I could get to 2 dumbbells to do 20mins, then some pushups.

Next 3 months I will go back to some butterfly guard focus.
    Some concepts I'm working on is overhead sweeps from standing or guard. Most of my sweep game is backwards or to the side,I realised a lot of people defend this as it is common, so sacrifice throws and other similar sweeps like balloon sweep I've been working on.
    Yoko sumei gaeshi seems to be one I hit the most against standing, ties up nicely with o uchi gari.
    Often I've been able to "wrestle up" from sitting guard to either of these sweeps.

Passing from head quarters will be my main passing focus. Forcing the position is straight forward, just working on passing sequences, knee cut/leg weave, folding pass, over under. I have a few knee cut variations I'm working on which open options to fold and go round the back.

Frodocious and Nachi like this.
  17. axelb

Saturday. 2 hours BJJ
    A few rounds of positional sparring
    Drilled half guard passing.
    Free sparring rounds, and open mat which I worked on omoplata sweeps subs and variations.

Frodocious likes this.
  18. axelb

Monday 1 hour BJJ
    North South escapes and positional sparring from side control.

Tuesday 1 hour BJJ
    Started with positional sparring.

Drilled a takedown of our choice. I drilled Yoko sumai gaeshi. My head was not in it, nothing was coming together, mats were busy also, so I kept bailing on the throw as the was someone to the side.

Drilled half guard passing.

One of those session where I came away feeling like nothing was working. Which means I've got a lot to work with.
    Also felt run down, so that adds to the brain fog.

Wednesday
    Light lifting, finally can get you the gym again,
    Shoulder press, curl, pushups, sit-ups, squats. Medium intensity.

Thursday 2.4 mile easy run.

Friday
    More lifting, same routine with a bit extra volume.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    Nachi and Frodocious like this.
  19. Nachi

Oh, I never rrealissed some of the BJJ techniques had Japanese names! Is it because they are taken from Judo/Aikido or something like that?

20. axelb

It's often a Mish mash of naming conventions. If they are predominantly moves from judo they often are referred to using Japanese terms.
    There are various moves named after athletes that used them most, or in a significant event.
    Some moves use the catch wrestling terms.

There really isn't any global standard to it, for most throws I learnt in judo only know the Japanese term. For ages I'd refer to a lot of ground moves with the Japanese term, but adapted to whatever other term most use for ease of training.