AxelB's running, lifting and kicking log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by axelb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Friday

Rest, despite a relatively sedentary day at work, I still burned 2800 kcal.
    I often tidy/ clean the house on my breaks, so I think that added to it.

Saturday/ Sunday

My sons birthday, spent the weekend away staying overnight at legoland. Plenty of walking in the day, and all you can eat buffet which I have use of.

Monday

Woke with a sore throat (wife has a cold for a few weeks, so my body is also dealing with it).
    It cleared up quickly though, so I was on track for training.

BJJ - 1 hour

Another great session, I got my tatami Gi with fresh creases to roll out on the mat.
    Warmup running round, then breakfall, shrimp, and similar.

Before first drill we rolled started from side control or under. Person to submit or obtain mount stays on and starts under.

Next we drilled an escape from under side control, bridge and towards getting them into your guard.
    Worked this slowly and tried to get the movement smooth, I seemed to keep getting my inside foot stuck bringing it through.
    Built resistance up, then onto sparring starting from side control and switching each time.

Next worked another escape from before they get to side control, inside hand in head and elbow into chest to create space before they get to side control, then bridge in and move out to back control.

Worked the drill up and then tried either in sparring.

Plenty to work on, but I quickly realised that I cannot work out of position from someone on my back or moving to my back, but I guess this and other items will come in time working on it.

The lesson times suit me well, so I plan to go 2-3 times a week from now.

Going to ease back into lifting and running whilst I get back into rolling, I can feel some soreness as my body is not conditioned to moves like bridging.

2. axelb

Tuesday

Felt I bit rough in the morning, bunged up nose. This cleared by mid morning.

Went for a run midday

3.5 miles 38 minutes. 152bpm avg HR.
    The first run for a few weeks, kept it slow and short.

6 minutes light bag work - punches only. 152bpm Avg HR.

10 minutes light stretching.

Late afternoon bench press.
    Keeping it light, so I though 60kg 3x10 would be about right.

20kgx10, 40kgx10, 50kgx10
    60kgx8 (I felt the strain at 7 so stopped at 8 as it's meant to be light).
    60kgx5, 60kgx5.

Pushup superset with kneeling ab wheel rollout:
    5, 5.

Finished this prompt as I heard my son had hurt his head and came back from hospital.
    He seems ok, ran into a racket being swung and wanted to carry on playing.
    Reminds me a lot of myself at that age o_O

No training tomorrow as I'll keep an eye on him.

3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I don't think that this means what you think it means!
    That sucks, but as you say, that's kids playing - Hope he's okay.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

Wednesday

rest

Thursday

BJJ - 1 hour

Usual warmup, light jog, followed by breakfalls, shrimps etc.
    added shoot drills (I'm glad I worked on lunges recently).
    First drill -
    double leg, the setup from just outside grip. The bring the trailing leg round.
    Drilled this for a while, then onto the next part, scooping the legs whilst leaning head/body into theirs to takedown sideways.
    After drilling this further, we added the front shoot leg to come up bring the takedown to the side more.
    Once we finished drilling that my quads were again thankful for the lunges I'd been doing recently :D otherwise I think my legs would have been jelly.

ground work drill:
    sweep from butterfly - a sweep we drilled previously.
    My partner went up to high on one sweep and caught my head funny. My neck went crunch but I rolled it over - feels fine today (my neck goes crunch whenever there is any pressure on it).

we worked this, then added an escape for the person being sweeped.
    Roll with it and come round to back mount.
    After we finished this drill, went onto sparring - I rolled with a blue belt who was very helpful with pointers as I tapped out to a few things.
    Next with another white belt with 3 stripes, I felt I could progress some positions, but I still have a lot or work to go :)
    was great fun, and I remembered how much I had forgot since I last rolled :D

5. axelb

Friday - Sunday
    Rest

A house full of ill worn out people.
    I had a blocked/ runny nose so I avoided any training. There was plenty of housework to keep me active.

6. axelb

Monday

Feeling my nose was a lot more clear today. I didn't do any training in the day (although I wanted to run!).

BJJ - 1 hour

Warmup with a light jog, breakfalls, shrimps etc.
    Drilling passing guard from standing, partner on back with guard up. moving one leg across an trapping both on one hip.
    Progressed drill to pushing legs to ground, then further progression of moving round to side control.

Drill based sparring starting one person standing, other on floor in guard - once you passed you stayed on, or if they got you in closed guard you went out.
    Next stage, start from closed guard and attempt pass or submit.

Another enjoyable session, I'm sticking with the twice a week until the kids are settled in school, then I'll try add a midday session.

Tuesday

Deadlift
    easing back into things:
    60kgx5, 60kgx10, 80kgx10, 90kgx5, 100kg 3x5.

Barbell lunges
    20kg 3x10

Stretching 10 minutes.

generally I feel my routine is a bit up in the air until I know how my body will deal with the BJJ classes, so next week or the week after I will restructure lifting or medium/long running days after, and light running/bag work earlier in the day on class days.
    Probably need to get another Gi if I'm doing 3 days a week as I'm not sure it'll dry in time.

Travess likes this.
  7. axelb

Wednesday

Bench
    keeping it light for another 2 weeks I think.
    20kgx10, 40kgx10, 50kgx10, 60kgx8, 65kg 3x5

Ab wheel kneeling rollout 5,5,5
    pushups 2x10.

Travess likes this.
  8. axelb

Thursday

I planned a short run, but had not factored in that my son starting school this week only had a half day.

BJJ 1 hour
    Turned up a bit late due to kids bed time not going to plan, and struggled to find parking space :(
    Warmup with rolls and escapes.
    First drill: setup for a double leg take from grip, drilled this a few times, then added double leg, trying to finish in half guard. I noted a few times if I didn't shoot close enough then I would land in half far out with their knee by the groin, so made sure to shoot in close.

Next drill was passing de la riva guard from standing. The last part was a similar drill which we did previously from half, finishing in side control.

Then sparring from knees. I felt like I was in bottom position less, and able to make better transitions.
    Prior to today I watched a few closed guard pass options which I tried out also with some success.

No bleeding today, I'm sure I'll find random bruising as i do most days. The wife pointed out a large bruise on my hamstring yesterday, which I can't figure out when that happened.

9. axelb

Friday - Sunday

Weekend camping, recovery, although plenty of heavy carrying, a few walks, but I was ready to drop after the kids went to sleep, so I got 2 nights of 9 hours uninterrupted sleep :)

HR report was good, showing I needed that sleep.

Monday

BJJ - 1 hour

The usual warmup.
    Drilled transition from side control to knee on belly/ chest.
    This was great as I've never trained knee on belly.

Followed up with 2 transitions; one to kimura, other to arm bar.

Sparring starting from side control. I attempted to transition to knee on belly a few times, I need more work on that.
    From under side control i feel improvement bridging to make space to move to guard or half guard.

Tuesday
    Daughters birthday so no training sessions planned; Rest day :)

10. axelb

Wednesday

BJJ - 1 hour.
    warmup then drill on sweep from half guard, followed by an alternative and an escape.
    sparred starting 1 from half guard, then sparred from knees.
    Another good session, ears are a little sore and plenty of random bruises so I finished with an ice bath.

Travess likes this.
  11. Travess

Is the 'Honeymoon period' still going strong? Gotta admit BJJ is one of those arts that seems to get more appealing, as the months/years roll by.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  12. axelb

Oh yes, lucky for me the times fit well with my work/ family. I wanted to get back to grappling in the past, but I stopped it all after having our first child (a lot more complicated than I expected).
    I found that there is a lot going on in my head around ground work techniques, I've tried to reign it in with some meditation so I don't over think it.

There is a reasonable amount that is coming back to me, but I have lost the sensitivity/ conditioning and reaction time to execute it.

My son is keen to start TKD this week, so him and the 10 year old will both be going there once a week :D

Morik, Travess and Xue Sheng like this.
  13. Travess

That sounds brilliant mate, minus the cluttered headspace of course (all to familier with that!) so if you find any exercises that specifically help 'calm the waters' I'd really appreciate hearing about them.

Best of luck for your son's 1st TKD class.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

Thursday

BJJ - 1 hour
    Warmup included shooting, as we moved onto drilling the double leg takedown.
    My right knee was twinging a bit, so I stuck with shooting mostly on the left leg - I could feel the muscle knotted in the quad, so I'll get the foam roller on that later.
    My double leg still sucks (always has) but the regular drilling should help me get it up to speed better.
    Added some resistance moving with our partner to help time the shoot best.

Next worked defending the half guard and moving the aggressor across to get them in kimura. Drilled this a few times, then worked this with the partner following the kimura round to attempt to arm bar, but instead following them round to continue kimura from side control or a sort of north south mount.

Onto sparring after this - I partnered with one of same from yesterdays (blue belt) who I couldn't tell if they were going easier on me, or if I managed to make a bit more space in their crushing side mount, to almost move to half guard, rather then being pinned like a tail on a donkey :Do_O
    I feel I'm spending a little less time on my back and working better and some escapes, but many more sessions of practice needed.

Feeling achey today in various places, hands, shoulder area, neck and quads; it's unlikely I will have time for a proper workout due to other commitments, which might be for the best if my body needs the rest. If I get a short break I'll add another light lifting session.

Travess likes this.
  15. axelb

Monday

BJJ 1 hour

Warm-up then into a drill starting from standing headlock, dropping down back to bring them into side control.
    The next part of the drill was 2 escape from scarf hold.

Next sparring from side control, to move to mount or submit and stay out of guard. I felt less gassed today and i managed to transition better.

Tuesday

Bench
    As i won't make any other lessons this week i took the opportunity to restart the routine.
    20kgx10, 40kgx10, 50kgx10, 60kg 5x10

Ab wheel rollout from knees, superset with mashups
    3x5.

5 mins shadow boxing cool down.

I'm going to reassess my routine and plan it out to fit in with 2xBJJ lessons a week and an and optional 3x BJJ week for when i can make extra sessions.

16. Travess

The importance of time management is an underated skill, and one that has caused me more missed training sessions, when done poorly, than I care to remember.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

I gave myself some leeway last 2 weeks, but I felt I was missing too much. So I'll plan a 3-6 month plan, strength focused with cardio secondary; low pace running and bag work.

I think the tricky bit will be scheduling around lessons with recovery time.
    I'll structure a skeleton routine based on realistic recovery, then fill it in with which training session is realistic.

I reset my lifting values 60% so that there is plenty of recovery space, when it comes to deadlift and squat is usually where I feel it impact my body/recovery the most.

Xue Sheng and Travess like this.
  18. axelb

Wednesday

Running - 4 miles
    The plan was to keep HR between 140-150bpm - I put my watch dash on just HR and elapsed time to avoid looking at the pace.

43 mins,
    4.06 mi,
    148 bpm AVG HR
    Max 165 | Min 83 HR
    633 kcal

Took it very easy, I thought it would be colder, so I was overdressed, but it was compression wear which made it bearable.

finished with 5 minutes shadow boxing and 15 minutes moderate stretching.

Nachi likes this.
  19. axelb

Thursday

rest; watching the kids so no BJJ today.

Friday

Deadlift
    20kgx10, 60kgx10, 80kg 5x10
    high bar squat:
    20kgx10, 30kgx10, 40kg 2x10 (it was going to be 3x10, but my quads started cramping on the start of set 2).

10 minutes shadow boxing

10minutes stretching.

Saturday

active rest, mostly involved helping the wife sort rooms for painting, and some painting. I came prepared with my filter mask to reduce the chance of chest infection.

Sunday

More painting, then some work in the allotment tidying up.

Sunday night was a complete disaster, I was looking forward to a long recovering sleep, but my son was sick every hour until 4am, so we were all awake through the night. He recovered well by Monday afternoon, but I missed BJJ in case we had a repeat in the night.

Tuesday

Bench
    20kgx10, 40kgx10, 50kgx10, 60kgx10, 67.5kg 2x10, 67.5kgx12 (a cautious AMRAP)

curl 20kg 2x12

kneeling ab wheel with pushup: 6, 8
    felt I could do a fair amount more, but taking it cautiously as I ease back into it.

5 minutes shadow boxing.

Wednesday

rest

Nachi and Travess like this.
  20. axelb

Thursday

I realised that my weeks routine had got muddled up with busy work (missing lunch breaks :( ) and my sons illness, so I hadn't run yesterday or Monday, today I don't plan running as my legs can't handle it with bjj, instead I squeezed in ~ 8 minutes bag work at lunch time.
    3x 2m30s rounds with 30s break, keeping it light (HR 130bpm ish).