AxelB's running, lifting and kicking log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by axelb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Wednesday

planned a bit of bag work/shadow boxing - chest had not improved much, so I went for the very light activity.

15 minutes taichi/qigong - mostly the 24 step Yang form (twice).

Thursday

Felt a big improvement today, sleep HR shows improvement (down to 56bpm instead of ~60bpm) chest was pretty much cleared.

My son has been a handful at bed time the last few weeks, this and the combination of potential traffic issues, I anticipated that I would not make it to class tonight so I planned a lunch workout instead.

1.75mile trail run around the lake (lovely views :) ) 16minutes 156bpm Avg HR 259kcal.

5 minutes stretching

~20 minute double end bag work, sticking with the formula 2min30s rounds, with 30s rest. (7 rounds)
    worked hands only for the first 4 rounds, the last 2 rounds was punch and kick combinations.
    Once the rounds were up I worked on punch/dummy to spinning back kick combination for 20 hits (i.e. I only counted every time I hit, instead of missing or losing balance).

after this 3 minute shadow boxing, followed by 20 minutes stretching.
    Felt very sore today, I think my body's repair has been on go slow this week whilst it deals with other things.
    6 minutes passive stretching on the wall side splits stretch, followed by 2 minutes lunge/lizard stretch, followed by 1xfront split stretch each side, 4x2 minute side split stretching from standing.

Side split down to ~5 inches from ground at the end of the stretch.

Kickboxing/TKD

Late again 10 minutes as my son was inevitable trouble at bed time, but no traffic problems at least.
    The coach is easy about my lateness fortunately, he said it doesn't matter as he knows what kids are like, as long as I get there in one piece :)

A pad work focused session, working kick combinations with pad feeder static to start, then moving back and forwards to practice timing kicks as people come in.

side kick to spinning back kick, to spinning back kick was one that I seemed to get on okay with, maybe as I'd been drilling the side and spinning back kick on the same day.
    It was hot! I probably lost half a stone in fluid o_O
    Near the end we worked a turning kick, dummy tornado into spinning hook, which seemed to be a good set up drill for a 540 hook kick.
    I think I'll work on that a bit without a pad as trying to do all that and land on the pad I found myself hesitating not to overshoot and hit the pad holder :confused:

2. axelb

Wednesday

planned a bit of bag work/shadow boxing - chest had not improved much, so I went for the very light activity.

15 minutes taichi/qigong - mostly the 24 step Yang form (twice).

Thursday

Felt a big improvement today, sleep HR shows improvement (down to 56bpm instead of ~60bpm) chest was pretty much cleared.

My son has been a handful at bed time the last few weeks, this and the combination of potential traffic issues, I anticipated that I would not make it to class tonight so I planned a lunch workout instead.

1.75mile trail run around the lake (lovely views :) ) 16minutes 156bpm Avg HR 259kcal.

5 minutes stretching

~20 minute double end bag work, sticking with the formula 2min30s rounds, with 30s rest. (7 rounds)
    worked hands only for the first 4 rounds, the last 2 rounds was punch and kick combinations.
    Once the rounds were up I worked on punch/dummy to spinning back kick combination for 20 hits (i.e. I only counted every time I hit, instead of missing or losing balance).

after this 3 minute shadow boxing, followed by 20 minutes stretching.
    Felt very sore today, I think my body's repair has been on go slow this week whilst it deals with other things.
    6 minutes passive stretching on the wall side splits stretch, followed by 2 minutes lunge/lizard stretch, followed by 1xfront split stretch each side, 4x2 minute side split stretching from standing.

Side split down to ~5 inches from ground at the end of the stretch.

Kickboxing/TKD

Late again 10 minutes as my son was inevitable trouble at bed time, but no traffic problems at least.
    The coach is easy about my lateness fortunately, he said it doesn't matter as he knows what kids are like, as long as I get there in one piece :)

A pad work focused session, working kick combinations with pad feeder static to start, then moving back and forwards to practice timing kicks as people come in.

side kick to spinning back kick, to spinning back kick was one that I seemed to get on okay with, maybe as I'd been drilling the side and spinning back kick on the same day.
    It was hot! I probably lost half a stone in fluid o_O
    Near the end we worked a turning kick, dummy tornado into spinning hook, which seemed to be a good set up drill for a 540 hook kick.
    I think I'll work on that a bit without a pad as trying to do all that and land on the pad I found myself hesitating not to overshoot and hit the pad holder :confused:

3. axelb

I remembered to record the bag work, but a lot of it was out of shot o_O

This was a medium intensity round, tried to keep close and work the hands/defence keeping the pace up but power down

things I definitely need to work on, partly due to fatigue, others just because I haven't reviewed it in a while, but still I need to consciously work on.
    I keep standing up straight, so my head/chin comes up more

guard drops down - I think this is partly due to the bag position, so I am guarding as if the persons head is that height - I find that I spar more frequently with people shorter than me - do other people have this issue when working with people shorter than you on a regular basis?

my hooks look more like uppers, with the elbow not in line with the punch.
    I occasionally work on switching during punching, but a few times it looks more like a hop than a switch.

Simon and Travess like this.
  4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Thats enough 'work-on-points' for 1 video, so here is a positive observation - The covering elbows, on the bags return are really smooth, which flow nicely from, and into your strikes.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I thought the video was good and a marked improvement in skills since the last one.

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
    I'm going to schedule at least 1 bag session a week, pushing to 2 to a week where possible.

7. axelb

Friday

Another short lunch, so I crammed what I could in for 25 minutes.
    Squat (high bar).
    20kgx10, 40x10, 50x10, 60x8
    65kg 5x10.

superset barbell row with incline pushups on the barbell.
    40kg 8,10,10
    pushups, 8, 10, 10.

8. axelb

Saturday

active recovery
    out shopping/ allotment work
    legs felt pretty sore from the squat

Sunday

bench
    40kgx10, 50kgx10, 60kgx10, 65kgx5
    72.5kg 3x10, 60kgx10, 40kgx10

curl
    20kgx10, 30kg 3x10, 20kgx10

ab wheel, superset with pushups
    kneeling ab wheel x6
    standing ab wheel rollout 3x3
    pushups 3x12

5minutes light stretch.

Monday 2nd July

deadlift
    60kgx5, 60kgx10, 80kgx8, 90kgx8, 100kgx5, 105kgx5
    107.5kg 3x10 : AMRAP on last set for 12.

barbell lunge superset with calf raise:
    lunge 40kg 3x10
    calf raise 40kg 3x10

stretching 15 minutes.

Tuesday

I was hoping for a short run followed by bag work session. I felt tired and very sore, partly felt like I should do nothing.
    instead I stuck with a light bag work session keeping as technical focused as possible.

7x 2min30s rounds with 30s break.
    for the break I planned to just stand on stance with guard up. I managed for most rounds except after 3 and my shoulders felt very sore from the hook work.
    worked hands only for all rounds.
    round 1: general hand work.
    round 2: jab cross only, keeping on stance and hands back to guard as the focus.
    3: working hooks, keeping elbow in line for contact.
    4: jab cross hook combination variations
    5: working switch variations, switch with punch and without
    6: punching from static- no combinations, just firing as quickly from guard and back to guard.
    7: a mixture of all the previous rounds.

5 minutes stretching.

felt pretty tired so had a nap later in the day with helped me refresh a bit.

Travess likes this.
  9. axelb

Wednesday 4th July

checked my peak flow, all seems to be ok, so went for a run
    4.5 miles 41 minutes 739kcal 165bpm avg HR.
    went for a fartlek type run, so a few short pace runs when I felt like it without burning out.

2 mins stretch
    10 pushups, 3x10 clap pushups
    struggled on the last set to get the height, so I only counted the ones high enough for a clap (12 altogether with 2 missed claps).

10. axelb

Thursday 5th

5 minutes hands only light shadow boxing, followed by 5minutes stretching.

kickboxing - 1 hour
    arrived on time for a change.
    a mixture of pad work finished with some takedown drills

Friday

adding a few plyometrics into my workouts.
    started with barbell squat to warm up
    20kgx10, 40x10, 50x10

lunge/split jump 3x10
    bbq squat 65kgx 10,10,11
    40kgx10, 20x10.

I needed to do the daily watering at the allotment, so doubled up with a bit of extra leg work. lunges with 2 full watering cans 14, 18, 18, 10.

Saturday

active recovery
    garden work and school summer fare with the kids.

Sunday

bench
    20kgx10, 40x10, 50x10
    clap pushups 3x10
    bench
    60kgx10
    75kg 5x8 (AMRAP for 10on the last set).
    40kgx10, 20kgx10
    curl 30kg 3x10
    abwheel
    kneeling x6
    standing 3x3

3 mins light shadow boxing.

Monday 9th

a few bad nights sleep partly due to my son waking in the night and early. other half also not well so was waking when to help when I could.

started the day tired which made me feel lethargic and no motivation to lift, but it was on the calendar so I got on with it.

deadlift
    60kgx10, 80kgx10, 90kgx10
    for whatever reason this really picked me up and I was full of energy and lifting felt easier than I anticipated.
    100kg 5x8 - AMRAP on the last set for 12.

lunges superset with calf raise 40kg
    10, 12, 14, 12, 10.

stretching for about 20 minutes;
    2 minutes lunge/lizard stretch
    3 mins side splits on wall.
    2 mins front split stretch each side.
    3x2 mins side split from standing
    finished at about 5 inches from ground. I think I'll start working it with the weighted vest again.

2 minute shadow boxing.

I think I'm going to feel it tomorrow. Running may be a big slow :eek::D

Travess likes this.
  11. axelb

Tuesday

went to meet a group of friends I hadn't seen for a while, but also had a run planned so I did both :D

3.8 miles 36 minutes 575kcal avg HR 157, max HR 168.
    mostly fartlek again, and mostly sore in the glutes and hams.
    9'37" min/mi avg. a few steady 10min/mi seconds and a few 6'30" min mile paces.

1 hour rest

3 mile run back 29'25" 476kcal avg HR 159 max HR 188.
    fartlek again, so the pace varies between 10'30" min mile, to 4min/mi at the end (for about 10 seconds) 9'47" min/mi avg

going back I felt heavy legs, but towards the last 1/2 miles they loosened up.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Xue Sheng and Travess like this.
  12. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I often incorporated the idea of 'speed play' in my running, but never knew that it was an actual thing, that had it's own name (had to look it up...)

When it comes to average pace, I'd only ever really monitored the end (average) result, never really thinking about the 'hot and cold' spots of each individual mile.

My distance running days are behind me, but I'll certainly still be keeping this in mind on the shorter ones.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  13. axelb

when I'm not training for a race I like to do more speed play, it feels a bit more natural, and fun not to restrict myself to a steady pace if I feel like busting a fast pace.

14. axelb

Wednesday

bag work ~20 minutes
    started with a light stretch.

7x 2 minute rounds with 1minute break.
    4 rounds of punching only.
    first 90s medium intensity, 30s high intensity (165-175 hr).
    last 3 rounds kick work:
    round 5, front kick off back for 10, then switch to front for 10 kicks off the other leg for 2mins.
    round 6, roundhouse off back for 10, then switch roundhouse off the other leg for 10. repeat for 2mins
    rounds 7; mix of front, round, or fake front to round- 3times then switch to other leg for 2 mins.

avg HR 144bpm. max 177bpm.
    315kcal.

2 minutes stretch.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  15. axelb

Thursday

during the day 3x1 minute side stretch.
    2x1 min light shadow boxing.

kickboxing 1 hour.
    various pad work drills.
    towards the end worked some circle drills:
    kick or punch when 1 of the 4 people surrounding hits their pad. every 30s the teacher shouts a command for them all the rush in and attack, and you cover/ evade without leaving the area.

Friday

squats
    20kgx10, 40x10, 50x10, 60x8
    70kg 5x10 - AMRAP for 18 reps on the last.
    60kgx8, 40x10, 20x10

I completely forgot to do plyo before the working set of squats so did it after.

10 box jumps onto a chair (about 10inches high?)
    3x10 box jump onto garden table (about 20inch high).

3x 1 minute light shadow boxing.

average weight 84kg bf ~10%

weight has stayed about the same and body fat dropped a bit.
    carrying on with the same diet/ workout plan for the next few weeks. I feel that I'm noir fatigued as often recently, so I'm keeping the progression minimal.

16. axelb

Saturday

recovery day

Sunday

pushups
    10, 12, 14
    elevated pushups
    10, 12, 14
    bench
    20kgx10, 40x10, 60x8, 70x8
    80kg 3x8 (AMRAP on last rep 10)
    60kgx8, 40kgx8, 20x8

curl 3x10 30kg

ab wheel
    kneeling; 6
    standing; 3, 4, 4

Xue Sheng likes this.
  17. axelb

Monday 16th July

Deadlifts
    60kg x5, 60kgx10, 80x10, 90x8, 100x8, 105x6.
    112.5kg 3x8 - AMRAP on the last set for 12
    80kgx8, 60x8

barbell lunges superset with calf raises;

40kgx 10, 12, 14, 12, 10.

stretching ~20 minutes:
    lizard stretch 1 min each side
    wall side split 3minutes
    front split stretch 2x1 min each side
    side splits 3x2 minutes down to ~4inches from ground. run out of time for weighted splits.

Tuesday

2 min stretch
    bag work, split into 2 sections. first 7 rounds keeping HR 120-140, second 7 rounds 140-160bpm
    7x 2'30" rounds 30sec rest.
    kept it light and the pace down working technique, turning the hip into strikes and on the rest keep in guard position with hands up.
    2 minute rest at the end of the first section, then another 7x2'30" rounds with 30s rest.
    more kick work involved, firstly just kicks, then punch kick combinations.

5 minute stretching.

Wednesday

4 mile run 42'55" HR kept at about 150 bpm.
    legs felt very fatigued even though the pace was kept down.

18. axelb

Thursday

kickboxing
    kid bedtime issues again so was 15 minutes late :(

sparring attack/ defence drills, followed by free sparring.

Friday

high bar squat (warm up)
    20kgx10, 40x10, 50x10, 60x10

box jumps
    onto chair ~10 inch?
    onto table ~25-30 inch?
    10, 10, 10, 12.
    made sure not to swing the arms into the jump so I engaged the legs mostly.

high bar squat
    70kgx8, 8, 12
    60x8, 40x8, 20x10.

10 minutes cool down shadow boxing. keeping HR 130-140bpm
    focused on footwork;
    in out movement, kick shuffle, lunge slide, pendulum.

added some counter attacks with the foot work after 3 minutes.
    sideways foot work, and circle footwork.
    3 minutes stretch.

avg weight 82.5kg, bf ~9.5%

19. axelb

I'm getting a bit lax on the logging.

Saturday
    rest

Sunday
    Bench press
    20kgx10, 40x10, 50x10, 60x10.

Incline clap pushups
    10, 10
    clap pushups

bench
    67.6kg 5x10
    curl 30kg 3x10
    Ab wheel
    kneeling rollout: 8
    standing rollout: 3, 4, 5

Monday

7.6 mile steady run 155bpm avg HR, 1292kcal, 10'48"min/mi avg pace.
    5 min stretch

Tuesday
    Deadlift
    60kgx5, 60x10, 80x10, 90x10
    100kg 5x10

Barbell lunge 40kgx10, 45kg 4x10
    Calf raise 45kg 5x10

20minute stretching

Wednesday

Did some bag work whilst my daughter was running
    6x 2'30" round 30s rest 139bpm avg HR

Travess likes this.
  20. axelb

Thursday

I had things that need doing before i went away. I saw a message that the "kickboxing" class would be doing forms.
    The last 2 lessons this consisted of doing just that: no drills, no "bunkai", or anything else, just the same pattern over and over.

This has made me consider looking elsewhere again if i can fit something in with the kids bedtime.

So i didn't go, and sorted out some packing.

a few days away, no gym access and a funny back problem.

The usually funny back pain from carrying luggage around. A reoccurring thing from car crashes.
    Sunday \Monday
    A few days swimming, Yang 24 step form monday for 30 minutes, stretching gently for 20 minutes in the pool.

Tuesday
    4.4 mile run 50mins, my route was off so i went up hill a bit, nice view, but in 36c heat it was hard work.

Cooled down with 10min swim.

Later in the day i felt a weird back/hamstring pain whenever i bent over, which became unbearable.
    I figured out it was coming from my glutes mostly, and my back was adding to it with an old injury inflaming in my scapula.

Wednesday
    " Swimming", and more of the 24 step Yang form, this time in the pool.

A few days on from minimal exercise and self massage, it's getting better. I'll keep off the running until it's cleared up.

Swimming most days consists of standing in the pool,making sure the kids don't drown themselves :D

Travess and Nachi like this.