AxelB's running, lifting and kicking log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by axelb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Whenever I've had a cramp when running, I know I'm unable to push the pace so I have enough energy to kick once the cramp goes.
    The family were cheering at 400m from the end, so that's all I needed to start accelerating :)

2. axelb

the rest of Sunday and Monday I have rested, and eaten plenty without keeping track.
    Before that my weight was 83kg, bf 10%,
    I will be aiming to maintain weight (or allow little gain) the next week or 2 (instead of lose).

My legs feel sore, but I was itching to do something today so I did an easy lifting session:

Bench
    20kgx5, 40kgx10, 50kgx10,
    60kg 3x10
    Curl 20kg 15,16,16
    Push-ups 2x10
    3 minutes light shadow boxing

If my legs feel up for it tomorrow, I will do a might squat/deadlift session.
    Otherwise I plan no more running until next week.

Nachi likes this.
  3. axelb

Wednesday

planned some deadlift/squats in the day, but cancelled as I potentially had to take my wife to the doctor.

In the evening I had a new tattoo, so no training in the evening.

I'm still not logging my food intake until next week I think as I have eaten a lot!

Nachi likes this.
  4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

What tattoo? :)

5. axelb

I have Chinese character for snake, as my son was born in the year of the snake.
    In line with my previous ones for the rest of the family :)

Nachi and Travess like this.
  6. Nachi

Awww, that's nice! :)

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

Thursday
    Kickboxing/TKD -1 hour

I was a bit late due to kids being daft going to bed.
    The class was solely about learning a TKD form/poomse sa jang.

I'm not keen on forms, but went with it, another to add to my 15 other forms floating around my head.

8. axelb

Friday

A lighter than normal lifting session to get my body back to lifting
    Deadlift
    60kgx8, 80kgx8, 90kgx6, 100kgx5, 110kgx5

high bar squat
    20kgx10, 40kgx8, 50kgx5, 60kgx5

quads cramped a bit so finished on the squats
    Lunges
    20kgx 10- quads still cramping so finished at 10

calf raises 40kg 3x16.

Saturday

Bench
    20kgx10, 40kgx10, 50kgx10
    6 sets of 60kgx10
    AMRAP on the last set for 19 reps.

curl
    30kg 3x10

kneeling ab wheel 5, 8
    Standing ab wheel 2x3

Push ups 2x10.

Sunday
    Recovery (garden work)

I'm trying to think I of the best setup with squat, bench, deadlift and running without impacting on Thursdays kickboxing.
    Until then I'll stick with my previous routine.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Nachi likes this.
  9. axelb

Monday

recovery day - I pretty much sat on the sofa doing not much of anything.

Tuesday

My daughter wanted to do some treadmill running again, so whilst she did that I worked on legs/back

Deadlift
    60kgx5, 80kgx8, 5 sets of 95kgx10 AMRAP on last set for 15.

Barbell row 3 superset with calf raise at 60kg
    row 7,6,5
    calf raise 3x10

Lunges 40kg 3x10

Stetching 30 minutes - side split down to 7inches from the ground, I found my left abductor kept cramping, so I didn't spend too much time on it. 4x2min in side split, 3x1 minute from split stretch each side (didn't measure distance on front from floor). Wall split for 5 minutes (I find that easier when my legs are cramping). Finished with stair stetching, from kick, side kick each leg (I lost track of count, but it was about 10 minutes).

Wednesday

rest

Thursday

30 minutes technical bag work (daughter went on the treadmill again :D ).
    8x2min30s rounds with 30 second break
    First few rounds was hands only, last 4 rounds was hand/kick combinations, particularly dummy front to turning head kick.
    After the rounds finished I worked on spinning back kick, 5 each side until my daughter finished.

Kickboxing - 1 hour (or just under as I was late again :( )

The usual warm-up with calisthenics, then some basic combinations in line.

Kick paddle work, the focus was mostly on lead leg kicks - slide side kick, front turning kick, progressed to side, turning off the same leg, then tornado kick.

Stretched for a few minutes, then worked similar drills, but focus on keeping the kicks high (to the head)
    added in spinning hook kick (I still suck at anything spinning), I'm not sure why but I really could not get the turning speed today for it, maybe I am fatigued (sore abs and hip flexor).

Partner drill with one person doing a lunge punch and the other does a set of movements (side step, block, takedown), the coach said I could work on the same drill or any of my own drills - I switched between 2 drills, one was general move to the inside block backfist, cross, clinch and knee, the other was slightly outside, arm drag to suplex position (just so I could practice the arm drag which I haven't done for a long time!)

The last drill was 3 person drill - one person uses their belt to hold you back, and the other has focus mitts - you have to move forward jab cross whilst the partner resists.
    Some pushups and squats in between to add to the fun/chaos :D

When I got home I worked a little bit on stretching and kicking from chamber to finish my legs off.
    10 times each kick each side staying in chamber with each kick. Turning kick, hook kick, side kick.

I did this twice and was well and truly finished after that.

I haven't started logging my diet again yet, but it's been fairly well behaved. Feeling sore today which is expected as it's the first week back in the lifting routine.

10. axelb

Friday.

1 mile easy jog on the day with my daughter who was on her scooter.

Evening;
    High bar squats
    20kgx5, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5
    65kg 5x10 AMRAP on the last set for 15.

Quads really felt it, I had to rest 3 minutes between sets as I felt a bit of cramp in the quads.
    I had planned some assistance and plyo (possibly pistol squats) but I was finished after that.
    3 minutes stretching.

Travess likes this.
  11. axelb

been feeling a bit "meh" about training recently, and obviously lacking any updates here, mostly feeling lethargic, no obvious signs of illness though:
    so I'll summarize the last 2 weeks.

Sunday 3rd June:
    Bench press warm up set to 70kg 3x10 (AMRAP 12)
    cut very short by kids mucking around at bed time, so I ended up doing elevated pushups to finish 3x15
    Monday 4th
    warmup deadlifts, working set 107.5kg x10 (AMRAP 14)
    rows 60kg 3x 5
    calf raises 60kg 3x10
    Barbell lung 40kg 3x10

Tuesday
    planned rest

Wed 6th
    3.2 mile trail run (got to break in the trail shoes) - first proper run since the race mid may. Felt very hard work.

10 minutes shadow boxing and 15 minutes stretching after.

Thursday 7th
    Kickboxing 1 hour

Friday
    Squat and bench
    warmup then squat 75kg 3x10 (AMRAP 14)
    Bench progressing up to 77.5kg x11
    curls 20kg 3x10

didn't have time for much as we were going away for the weekend camping.

Saturday/Sunday morning
    relatively active, and electricity free camping weekend, nice to feel disconnected from the internet/work for a while :)

Sunday 10th
    Got back from camping and the better half went for a run, so I joined for a light bag work session 32 minutes of 2min30s rounds (30s break)
    first few rounds was hand work focus. Then the last few rounds I worked on kick combinations from punching, and the last 2 rounds I worked the spinning back kick mostly.
    Kept it very light and was focusing on the technique for the rounds.

Monday 11th

Deadlift warmup working up to 120kg for AMRAP (12)
    bent row 60kg 3x6
    calf raise 60kg 10, 12, 12
    barbell lunge 40kg 3x10

ab wheel on knees 5, 6
    ab wheel standing rollout 3, 5, 3 (still feeling that now! o_O)

Tuesday

5.8 mile run 56 minutes 156bpm avg HR - first road run, I planned 6.5, but my pace was too slow to get the distance in during my lunch break, so cut it short. Mostly felt sore in the legs, unsurprisingly from the lifts.

Wednesday 13th

Bag work 30 minutes - 2 minute rounds with 1 minute breaks, kept it very technical focused again, keeping HR out of the higher zones and pacing between combo's so that I could keep the structure.
    Much the same as previous bag work - first half was just hand work, then onto hand and kick combo's, and towards the end working kicks and then spinning back kick.

Thurs

kickboxing - 1 hour (50 mins as was late :( )

Kids being difficult at bed time meant I was late again.
    Pad work session to start, then moved into sparring towards the end.
    I tried to focus my sparring 3 items:

lining up the spinning back kick with hand combinations
    the fake teep to round house to the head.
    high low hand combinations.

Friday 15th

Squats
    warmup up squats increments of 5-10kg up to 82.5kg for AMRAP (12).

Food
    generally been keeping at maintenance with my intake vs out, which is about 3000kcal gross input.

Body weight has pretty much stayed the same (83kg) bf varies ~10-11% except on the camping weekend which I ate as much as I could and put on 4 kgs, but that dropped off relatively quickly.

Nachi likes this.
  12. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Glad it was just that - Spotted in the week that you'd stepped away, but didn't want to press.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  13. Nachi

I hope you'll be feeling generally better in no time! It doesn't hurt to take a break from time to time if you feel like it, though :)

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

Saturday
    bench
    20kgx10, 40x8, 50x8, 60x8, 67.5x8
    75kg 5x8 : AMRAP on the last set for 11

pushups 3x15

Monday
    starting deload week with deadlift
    60x5, 80x5, 90x5, 100x5
    row
    40kg 3x5
    lunges 40kg 3x10

10 minutes shadow boxing

felt pretty rough the rest of the day, I was woken early which may contributed to it.

Tuesday
    rest, I wanted to do something but felt unwell, tired and achey, I also sliced my finger on a broken bowl, so I thought best to keep activity to a minimum.

Wednesday
    7.5 miles 1h12 mins.
    2 miles up to a trail route, got a bit lost and ran 3miles around through stinging nettles, then 2miles back home.

Thursday
    kickboxing
    learnt a new form, did about 3minutes of pad work towards the end.

I'm hoping my finger is ok tomorrow so I can do some bag work.

Nachi and Travess like this.
  15. axelb

Friday

planned a light squat and bag work but my break was too short.
    probably for the best as I still don't feel 100% and some asthma problems flared up in the afternoon and this morning.

Saturday

usually a bench session, but still having a few minor chest issues, so I'll plan to do something tomorrow as long as it appears to be on the recovery side.

16. axelb

Sunday

out most of the day and in the evening a bench workout.
    20kgx10, 40x10, 50x10
    65kg 5x10, last set AMRAP 12reps

kneeling ab wheel x5

3 superset standing ab wheel for 2 reps with 10 plyo/jump push ups (not high enough for a clap)

side stretch 5x 1 minute (whilst cooking dinner due to limited time)

discovered that I had sun burn despite putting cream on (fair skinned) when I was half way through bench press :oops:o_O

Travess likes this.
  17. axelb

Monday

before today's workout, I analysed my food intake, sleep and sleeping HR.
    Food has been on maintenance so not under fed.
    sleep time is the same on average.
    my sleeping HR during the last week or so has been 8-10bpm higher, so i guess my body is trying to deal with something.
    it dipped down a bit (2-3bpm) the last 2 nights, which I hope is an indication of improvement.

deadlift
    60kgx5, 80x5, 95x10
    95kg 5x10 ; AMRAP on the last set for 12reps .

high bar squat
    20kgx10, 40kgx10, 50kgx10

row
    40kg 3x8
    curl 30kg 3x8

run out of time so cut the accessory down.

had you water the allotment but didn't have much time, so ran there and back(about 1km in total).

feeling like I'm getting over the asthma problems/ general fatigue.

Knee Rider and Nachi like this.
  18. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

[​IMG]

Travess

axelb likes this.
  19. Nachi

No way! New banana! :eek:

And that is worth the celebration! :)

Travess and axelb like this.
  20. axelb

Tuesday

4 mile run 41 minutes 10'19" min/mi avg 638 kcal - 153bpm avg HR.

A hot day and I worked on keeping my HR in the middle range 145-160bpm.
    Followed this with 5 minutes shadow boxing, and 5 minutes stretching.

I'm feeling the end part of the asthma problems clearing up (fluid on lungs) which normally means things are getting back on track as long as I don't do any intense work.

Weight has stayed about the same gone up slightly ~84kg I haven't been monitoring my BF % but appears to have gone up slightly also.

This will be my last week on maintenance diet, then I will spend the next 4 weeks on a small deficit.

Travess likes this.