axe kick questions

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by shs111, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Fire Cobra, please stop harping on about this issue. It's getting old. If you don't like the topic, stop posting in the thread or report the posts if you feel they should be moved. Thank you.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Cyrus Washington disagrees with you. Please educate yourself on Cyrus Washington. His style is a blend of Muay Thai, Kickboxing, and Taekwondo, and he has fought extensively in Thailand at pro level (which is probably more than what you have done).

Straight from his blog. That was posted around 2009/2010.

So don't say it's not viable, when it is achieved by a pro.

As already suggested once, you can try using it for pulling down guard to setup for a strike. You pull it off with enough venom, and in the right instance, and no one in their right mind will try to catch it.

Nobody said he was specifically a Muay Thai boxer. He did however have four successful defences of the WKA World Heavyweight Muay Thai title. He also used it comeptitively.

Once again, watch Cyrus Washingtons videos. He's fought in Thailand many times. It doesn't matter if it is in top stadiums or not (which he has anyway), or if the Thais use it. He has shown use of the Axe Kick used to good effect in Muay Thai.

I see no reason why to do so. If you do not like the subject matter I believe Frodocious has suggested an ample solution for you. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

.;.His style is a blend of blah blah blah..so he isnt pure Muay Thai then,real Muay Thai,he is however a good fighter as I said on a earlier post.

Please dont assume about my fight record when you dont know,I have had the same amount as Cyrus,plus many more years training ,coaching,visiting and living in Thailand:)

I dont yet see good effect or a good scenario that could be used over and over again with and for the ax kick in real Muay Thai.

Frodocious,Ok I will leave this thread,perhaps Ill go to the kickboxing one where I could talk with people who know about real Muay Thai..then again:)

4. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

While I do agree with fire cobra that I dont think I've seen an axe kick thrown in a muay thai fight ever, I also agree with UCombat that one more weapon in your arsenal never hurts (at least not you).

[​IMG]

5. daggers

daggers Valued Member

talk about it all you want, the best thing to do is put it into practice. go get some thai boxing fights and use your axe kick!

6. Unreal Combat

Nobody said he was, neither is anyone trying to argue otherwise. He is simply an example of someone who has used an effective Axe Kick in Muay Thai bouts at professional level without getting levelled as a result of using it as some would claim a fighter would.

It doesn't matter whether he uses just Muay Thai or not. He fights by Muay Thai rules, and as long as he fights by their rules and standards, and if it works for him, all the more power to him.

As stated, he has another 2-3 years worth of fights and training on top of that (that record was as of 2009-2010).

Not being funny bud, but I don't just take anyones word for it. Words are very easy to type. If you are a professional level Muay Thai fighter then I would like to know your fight record, fight history, and see some of your professional fight videos, if that isn't too much to ask?

Entirely irrelevant to the discussion, because what you personally have or have not done doesn't prove or disprove anything, but I would just like to know anyway out of interest.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Muay Thai is pragmatic not dogmatic - the last thing it needs is a non-argument like "re4l Mu4y Th41" being thrown at it

The punching it MT was heavily influenced by Wetsrn Boxing, so much so that most people forget that the hand techniques were relatively sub-par prior to this cross over. Is the axe kick high percentage? No. Can it work? Yes.

Is it worth getting panties in a knot over?

Your call.......

8. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

What is real MT anyway?

Besides, the flying knee that Cyrus uses quite a bit isn't taught very often (at least not from my classes), so are we to assume that this isn't a MT technique either? I've certainly never seen it being used in anyother MA.

Like Hannibal says MT isn't dogmatic, people outside of the MT world can compete with the MT rules, yet use w/e techniques they like. If an axe kick will grants you a KO (even rarely), I say learn it.

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

The jump knee is taught in every camp Ive been in in Thailand(30 of them),and it is used in fights much more than the AX, its a real Muay Thai technique.

My only point was that I think the question is in the wrong forum its not a Muay Thai technique and Id rather talk Muay Thai in a Muay Thai forum lol.

As for my fight record its 50 f 34 w 2 draw 1 no contest and 13 lost and included being British Thai Boxing champion,it was a long time ago(been retired a long while) and although I have some vids I hate watching them as they make me cringe so Im not putting them up here for others to cringe to lol,hey guess what my record includes Kickboxing fights where I used guess what..you got it the Ax Kick(never said I didnt like it) I also Olympic freestyle wrestled in the 1980s and got a Silver medal in British championship,got totally hammered in the final,oh yeah and I also like Wing Chun,but Ill shut up now as this is a Muay Thai forum:)

10. Hannibal

So would you discuss jabs, crosses, hooks and uppercuts? These are recent additions to Muay Thai in historic terms yet I suspect you would readily accept those as part of the system

11. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Ha, love it when the historians come on ..
    What's the history of a jab to do with an axe kick? Stick to the topic.

In ancient Thai boxing headbutt was used, as was kicking the groin.

The axe kick can certainly have effect, no one is doubting that.
    Yes learn it! Use it! But if you want my opinion and fire cobras
    (Myself having taught many Thai boxing champions, fire cobra being an experienced Thai fighter)
    LEARN THE RULES AND SCORING CRITERIA first! A well balanced block will do you more favours that hoping an axe kick lands

Hannibal.. You know alot about muay Thai.. Please give me a basic run down on how to win a Thai fight on points

12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Yes Haniball,lets start with how and why you would use the jab,cross and hook in Muay Thai,and how they score in Muay Thai:)

13. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Real Muay Thai,containing jabs,crosses,hooks,elbows,knees,shins,feet,throws(but no AX Kicks)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfFPgPAHCw&feature=player_embedded#"]Singdam vs Nong-O: Lumpinee Stadium 31.07.12 - YouTube[/ame]!

14. Hannibal

It IS on topic - the conversation has become about what does and does not consitute a MT technique. If you accept the introduction of aforementioned punches in the contemporary MT scene then the axe kick is no different

Or is a parallel situation with implications pertinent to the discussion too confusing for you?

The standard scoring practice is as follows :

Scoring from a strike:
    Correct Thai Boxing style, combined with hard and accurate strikes.
    Points will be awarded for aggressive and dominating Muay Thai skill.
    Actively dominating his opponent.
    Use of a traditional Thai style of defence and counter-attack.

Non scoring strikes:
    A strike which is against the rules.
    A strike in defence against the leg or arm of an opponent.
    A weak strike.

Fouls.
    The judges will deduct points for any foul as directed by the referee.
    Any foul observed by the judges but not by the referee, will be penalized accordingly.

Method Of Scoring

The maximum score for each round is 10 points, the loser scoring either 9, 8 or 7.
    A drawn round will be scored as 10 points for both boxers.
    The winner and loser in an indecisive round, will score 10:9 respectively.
    The winner and loser in a decisive round will score 10:8 respectively.
    The winner and loser in an indecisive round with a single count, will score 10:8 respectively.
    The winner and loser in a decisive round with a single count, will score 10:7 respectively.
    The boxer scoring 2 counts against his opponent will score 10:7.
    Any boxer who commits a foul will have points deducted from his score.

So we can safely conclude that axe kicks are entirely permitted and can be used accordingly

Now that the snobbery - and myth - of "Teh R43l Mv4y Tha!" has been put to bed perhaps we can get back on topic

15. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

fire_cobra, I'm not a mod, but becareful with masked profanity.

Furthermore, I generally don't care what part of the forum these threads are posted, and I get most of them off of the home page. So for most of us it doesn't actually matter whether this is a MT topic or not. That being said, MT does a lot of sparring and is well known for it. This is a question about sparring. Maybe the OP's choice in placing here in MT is a bit odd because axe kick is not really MT, but as I said no one rlly cares. In fact you've had frodo tell you to drop the subject.

I'm about done replying to this. Cheers

16. Hannibal

See above - any other questions or would you care to show me where the historic genesis of Muay Thai's boxing style punches came in prior to the 20th century and the influence of western boxing methods?

17. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Wow bet your search button was red hot lol
    That really doesn't answer my question.
    Ok explain who would score higher and what was needed of both techniques to score higher .
    ax kick landing clean on the shoulder or a jab to the face (neither cause a stoppage)

18. Unreal Combat

Just because it is not a "real" Muay Thai technique that does not mean that discussion of the validity and application of using it in practice within a Muay Thai ruleset is taboo.

19. Hannibal

The jab - it hits a scoring area (the face)

Quid pro quo, and a question that makes about as much sense as yours -

Which scores higher ? An axe kick that lands on the head but does not knock the opponent out or a teep that misses completely, catches the referee in the testicles and makes him fall down weeping for his mom?

20. daggers

daggers Valued Member

I would have read more on understanding Thai scoring than history Hannibal

Both score as high as each other. It purely depends on how much effect it has on the opponents balance and equilibrium and also visual effect.

A jab to the stomach COULD score as high as a triple spinning tornado kick landing square in the face.