Awful cancellation fees

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Aegis, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Someone on my Facebook posted a link to this new report showing some of the worst pricing enforcement I've ever seen in martial arts. This seems to be based out of Alberta, so anyone thinking about taekwondo in that area might want to watch this before signing up to this particular studio:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=...binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1

The school in question is Tien Long, and the video shows some of their staff debating the ethical considerations of charging over a thousand dollars for a student who dropped out after three months.

It's always worth remembering that a good school doesn't need to tie you in to restrictive long-term contracts with extortionate cancellation fees. Bear in mind that these parents are now being taken to court over this, so their lives will be disrupted for quite some time due to this awful business model!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I can remember on our opening weekend and a guy signed up for the full works, £60 a month. He agreed to a 12 month contract, no pull out fee, paid for 12 months and we never did see him again? Sure he felt fitter :)

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Around 50 ex- members are being sued

I think the dojang loses the war in this case...even if they get 1/10th of the damages no one will join a shady grouo like that

4. Moi

It's how fitness gyms work?

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I know of no fitness gym that has a 10k cancellation fee!

6. Moi

I'd hope no court will enforce that but I'd of thought that would of had to be made apparent upon signing? Certainly would of here (I know it's rarely spoken of) but laws are laws and chance lawsuits fortunately only happen over that side of the pond. Here it's just bully boy nonsense that some buy into

Surely not even over there is a judge that stupid?

7. Moi

In not advocating this sort of nonsense but I do think a contract can actually be good for the student as well as obviously the club. This is just the one dude that ruins it for everyone else

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

well, for one, the woman should never have signed the contract without fully understanding the terms of the contract and the cancellation fee. even the minimal fee, what the gym termed during the video, was in the multiple thousands range.

me personally, i would have never signed the contract to begin with. a contract for a gym membership is totally inexcusable, and a complete deal breaker. i think the practice is abhorrent. even more so when a gym wrangles a kid's parents into a, what, 3 year deal. how many kids do any of us know that are into the same things between 8 and 11?

9. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I can see the benefits of a contract both for the club management (consistent, reliable finances) and the student (ease of payment, discounted rates and motivation) but i think having these sorts of penalties is inexcusable.

Yes it foolish to sign a contract without first understanding what your potentially committing to but its morally wrong to run a business like this.

I hope thats the case.

10. Moi

The thing that turned me was when class attendance didn't drop in summer or at Christmas. People hate waste :)

11. Aegis

I can see the advantage of monthly rolling contracts or similar. It means you don't have to mess about with paying for each individual session and you're encouraged to go to more classes. Anything that ties in to long contracts, especially with very large exit penalties and where children are involved, is designed to benefit only the owner.

I can understand the temptation in business to sign someone up to a binding long term contract to protect your cashflow, but from the consumer perspective it's just completely inappropriate, especially for a beginner.

12. Aegis

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Makes me glad I live in England. Don't know what the "reasonable contract " rules are in Canada. Aside from the contract itself they appear to have engaged in some sketchy practises at the sign up and when they tried to cancel. Also their victim blaming is very typical of scams.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sorry, I don't feel much sympathy for the family. I just don't.

I would like to know if the cancellation fee is actually collection of the fees the school would have gotten over the contract time and they are collecting it because payments fell behind. This is what I suspect. The reporter seemed biased towards the family. The nature of those fees needed to be explained in detail.

They didn't read the contract before signing it. They didn't sign paperwork to transfer over one contract to another kid's contract. They fell behind in their payments.

If they felt that that was too big of a commitment for kids their age, they should have gone to a different school without signing that contract in the first place.

No - no sympathy for them.

Now, I don't think the school is completely good either. If it is true they said something different about cancellation fee's than what is in the contract, that is shady.

And again, I really would like to know the nature of this cancellation fee. If it is not what i mentioned above, that is shady too.

I question a business with contracts like this being a non profit? Something doesn't seem right about that.

Not sure about the school, As I said before, the report seemed biased against them, but they may have deserved the reporting done that way. But definitely not impressed with the family.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I partly agree. No-one should ever sign a contract they haven't read or understood fully, they just shouldn't.

Did you read the reddit post they put up from their perspective?

=====

I'm not totally opposed to contracts within reason, provided those contracts are (in the case of MA membership at least) short term rolling contracts with clear, easy to understand guidelines on cancellation notices and basic rights.

But cancellation fees in MA contracts is something I have a massive problem with. And the school demanding $10,000 as a "Not-for-profit" school is just wrong IMO.

16. Ben Gash CLF

In this country the contract would be unreasonable and therefore un-enforceable.
    They know people aren't thinking about cancellation when they sign up, and if you make the contract long and complicated enough you can get a lot of people to miss the terms.
    I don't think it should ever be cheaper to bring a lawyer along to the contract signing than to cancel the contract.
    Aaradia, the behaviour of the school when they tried to cancel was highly suspicious and causes me to view the rest of their behaviour in an unsympathetic light.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Luckily in the UK its illegal to operate contracts like this.

18. aaradia

I started to read the reddit thing, and all I got was the family making themselves sound more sympathetic. The report had them admitting to doing things irresponsibly, then they sort of tell the story differently in their written out side of the story.

I think this does need to go to court to be sorted out. And I am most curious to see what the courts decide. I rather get the feeling that there is blame and irresponsible or corrupt behavior on both sides. The family admitted to just not paying and not signing paperwork they knew they should have- I find them unreliable. And I am dubious of the "non-profit" business wanting $10,000 from a family.

I don't know about other states, but in California enforcing a contract like that just doesn't happen either. But again, there is a lot of "he said- she said" going on now. The facts need to be looked at by a court to separate the fact from the fiction both sides may be telling to bolster their side.

I probably wouldn't go to that school, and I wouldn't enter a business dealing with that family. I would steer clear of both sides of this conflict.

19. Ben Gash CLF

In the Reddit piece it says that the school repeatedly failed to provide said paperwork when asked.

20. aaradia

Which conflicts with the original news report. Where they just say they admit they didn't do the paperwork. So I wonder if they are bolstering their story later on. Are they changing their story to make it more sympathetic? Why was that not in the news report? It makes me doubt them.

But maybe it is true.

That is exactly the sort of thing that needs to be sorted out in a court of law. And that is why I am curious what the courts decide.

I don't know how much blame lies with each side, I don't really trust either side. I want the facts sorted out from potential stories each side is telling. At this point, that is only going to happen in a court of law.