Avoiding Common TKD Training Mistakes

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by KickChick, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Mark_Campbell

Mark_Campbell Valued Member

U should train every day, if you can only see your instructor twice a week then so be it, but 24hrs in a day you can spare one of them to go through your pattern etc, class time is not learning time its correction time, you should go in their accomplishing everything your instuctor told you was wrong last time, so he can deal with new mistakes

p.s training isnt necessarily a beasting, though there always fun :D

maybe thats sadistic im not sure

2. firesprite

firesprite Irate Pirate

I agree, however there is nothing worse than when you tell them to stop and your partner doesn't, I'm fairly flexible but dislike partner stectches because occasionaly guys will be like "Only a little more and you'll touch the floor"
    when I'm already in pain, and only stop when I yell at them or the instructor tells them off. :mad:

3. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

i understand that training alot is inevitable, but ofcourse this can put a strain on your personal life
    i train tkd twice a week (tuesday&thursday) and hkd three times a week (monday, wednesday, saturday), this means i only have sundaynights off (because on friday i go salsadancing with my girl :love: )
    i understand that sometimes you just have to listen to your body and stay home, BUT on the other hand... i'm injured now (bacterial infection, taking heavy antibiotics - not sportrelated) and DAMN i want to train again... when you do it 5/7 it really becomes an addiction

on sparring I have 1 tip & 1 question:

tip) train with all your gear on when getting ready for competition, this way, you'll be used to your 'tok', 'mouthpiece', 'hogo' and 'helmet'

question) is it ok to dose your power & speed for stamina? i have problems with stamina. when we spar, we do it for half an hour and i'll give it everything i've got, but after 15min i'm neglecting my defence... but when i dose my attacks i do not win (most of the time). TIPS?
    my trainer says: go running (coz' biking shortens the muscles), but i train 8h/week (10 if you count in salsa! :D ), so aside from working it's hard to find the time!

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

You need to learn to pace yourself! (I hear this time and time again in class) and going full power (or as you say "giving it everything you got" is yet another common training mistake. Relax, breathe properly, stay light and limber on feet, and learn to pace yourself by throwing effective techniques.

Wouldn't hurt to work on your cardio to increase stamina with some kick/punch drills or interval fast walk/jogs

5. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

haha. i must profess i'm better at one side too! i'm a leftie when it comes to kicks, but since i cross train, and into KB too, i can punch harder AND faster with my right! really weird...i wonder if anybody else has the same scenario as me.

the advantages of course, is that i start with my left stance instead of the right stance, and it really confuses the opponent when i punch with my right (strong punch) into my left roundhouse (stronger kick). the disadvantage of course, would be, that people who i regularly spar with, know that i'm stronger with my right punch and left kicks, so they watch for it a lot.

6. Rabid Wombat

Rabid Wombat Curry Eating Fiend

It's always good to work the leg you're bad at. The situation with me (the best I can tell, at least) is my right leg is stronger, but I do all my pivot kicks (round, hook, side) on my left side. The reason for this is probably that I can balance and pivot better on the right, so having that as my base foot is the advantage. Do you think this is true?

7. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

it's the same with me :rolleyes:
    so atleast i can agree :D

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

a lot of people will say that one side of their body is 'better' than the other. i have also noticed that some of my students at the club sometimes use the better leg when i come close and watch them :D the weaker side should never be neglected. if you are doing bag work or pad work, subconsciously you will use the stronger side more, but the thing is that in a real life situation you can't choose. a potential attacker won't ask you about your good and weak side. so work on the good things and make them even better, but also work on the bad ones even more.

9. Graifox

Graifox New Member

I saw alot of people when i could get to classes who would (mainly girls) who would chat and be halfhearted in there attempts. They let nerves and feeling foolish as they where new to class get to them.
    I think its a shame cause if you are interested anough to actually come to something and stickit out that its worth while putting in your effort to get it right.

Theres nothing like getting a technique right to make you feel proud. Its also one of the best cures for the common cold... hehe.

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

we are all different. not everyone who starts training a martial art actually continues so and sticks with it for a long time. there are people who want to try it out, because there is no other way to see if a certain martial art is the right choice or not. but on the other side i also agree with you, if you keep on training it, then do it the way it should be done. i guess, here the instructor should play his/her role. if s/he allows chatting and other similar behaviour during a training session...

11. SparcZ

SparcZ That's flexibility!

That's why partner stretching is useless and dangerous IMO.

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

not if you have a careful stretching partner. i've done it many times and never got hurt.

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Hi,
    I find that partner stretching is very important in achieving your maximum. How are you supposed to do issomectrics without a partner? Just make sure that your training partner doesnt go too far.

14. z2bass

z2bass New Member

I think you should add going less than 2 times a week :)

15. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

how do you mean? are you being sarcastic or not?
    :confused:

16. z2bass

z2bass New Member

Clearing It up

I preally do think people should go atleast 2 x a week

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Already listed on original post ...

Mistake #7
    Coming to class only once a week.
    With today's busy life style, people often find than exercise gets a low priority. If you only come to class once a week, you have six days in between for your memory to fade and your techniques to deteriorate. Solution: Make a commitment to yourself to get to class often!
    On your days off, think about your kicks and blocks. Go through your forms in your head. Think of it as doing your martial arts homework and come to your next class prepared to learn.

18. Amnion

Amnion New Member

I'm new to this site, but I want to say that I've almost always done all my sparring at full contact. My instructors have always practiced good self-control, and seeing that was something we all picked up on. I think full-contact sparring doesn't always mean that you're trying to hurt each other, just that you're not tapping your opponent. I've only witnessed a few injuries so far, and they were always injuries that would have happened regardless. I do want to say that for some people, full contact is not the way to go, and it's okay. I've sparred people like that and I've always respected the fact that they weren't comfortable with it. But me, I don't gain anything if my opponent is holding back. I can tell and it screws me up. Anyway. Glad to see that Oldie overcame that obstacle; sometimes you never know what you're capable of until you're put in that situation.

19. TKD_Dad

TKD_Dad New Member

I find doing them in my head helps give me a visual of what I look like. since I don't have much room at work I will do the stances for each count of the Form seems to have help at this point.

20. Splush

Splush Valued Member

How about not training just because you can't make it to the Dojo? I mean if you can't get a lift or something, don't chump out. Practice at home or somewhere else suitable for training.