Avoiding Common TKD Training Mistakes

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by KickChick, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I really like this thread and I just saw it buried in the back... anyone have anything to add?

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

you are right Thomas. I just hope that Holgate changed his opinion and learned a thing or two. I don't know how long he has been training TKD and whether or not he has been training seriously, but to become a good martial artist, one has to train more than once or twice a week. For example, beginners often don't understand certain things, but hopefully they will mature. and one more thing i really hate is to listen to comments about a martial art from people who train it on and off and don't take it seriously but they act as if they are smarter than the rest of the world. when i started training i was like a sponge absorbing all the info and advice that came from my instructor.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
  3. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I can only train 1 day a week, and I have to travel 20 miles so I think that Kickchick's statement is rather unfair.

I do go through what I know, but I don't bother trying to learn new stuff, I leave that for class.

4. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

I think that the biggest mistake is going to TKD (or any Martial Art) and leaving your common sense at home. This mistake normally involves getting totally engrossed in your particular style, looking at it in isolation or abstraction to other styles and the real world.

Students will learn how to understand a technique/concept etc only if they question everything that they are told and experience. They should put it into context of other ways/methods/approaches and options. Open mindedness should be added to the 5 (otherwise excellent) tenets.

Preaching of a cross-trainer over…..

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Which statement was that :confused:
    this one?

"As a black belt I try to always be conscious of my technique even when I am not feeling 100 % that day. There is nothing worse than seeing an advanced student just going through the motions.."

And what does this statement have to do with a short drive to train just once a week.??

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

But don't open it too wide, or your brain might fall out!!

Never would have guessed you were a crosstrainer! ;)

7. Sun Hwang

Sun Hwang Train to eat,Eat to train

Yeah I used to have the onesided problem pretty bad. Then I joined out for the demo team and training for that was brutal! It got both of my legs fairly even though. Still not exactly the same.

But one of the biggest problems I see is the lack of crispness in forms. When people do it at one speed the whole time. Total lack of snap and power.

8. tkd_princess78

tkd_princess78 New Member

I do catch myself staying away from two kicks that need major work 1. jumping back kick i dont know why but I just dont like it the other being jumping spin kick. Last time I did that one my butt hit the mats nice and hard. I guess I should not given up I dont wanna be a soon to be sloopy Black Belt

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I got one mistake people do a lot. Dunno if it's been posted:

Not training when you come to class/do it at home. I see lots of people come to class, and just eye ball the clock the whole time, counting down the minutes to when they can finally leave, and doing everything half-assed. If you're going to train half-assed, DON'T COME TO CLASS. Spending time in class isn't training. If you're going to come to class, train.

PL

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i couldn't agree more. i really don't understand why such people keep ''training''. the minute the training session starts, the only thing they do is count the minutes. and it's really $hitty when you get paired up with them. but my instructor didn't allow such behaviour at his dojang. he took care of those.

11. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

Yeah i know a couple of those. Also i hate the whiners. Don't come to a class where you will be sparring and groundfighting if you are going to whine when you get hurt. This one girl wore glasses while sparring, and i accidentally front snap kicked toward her face, i had enough control to stop from hitting her face (which is totally legal point but just to be nice), but the glasses still went flying. She started whining and telling me to use more control and be careful. Those type should join the kids classes.

12. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

The whiners are lousy practitioners,everytime when were stretching in the dojang I always hear them whining about how it hurts when you strecth and I know it hurts but don't whine because is just plain weak.

13. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I whine when we do partner stretching. My partner doesn't know how far I can go, but keeps pushing (or pulling) anyway. Then the next day I can't walk because of that.

PL

14. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

My bad, it was a quote taken from a magazine.

This thread should probably be stickied. :tup:

15. RonR

RonR Valued Member

Hi PL,
    Number one important rule in partner stretching is communicating with your partner. You have to let them know if they are pushing you too hard or too little.
    chow
    Ron

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Good post!
    I agree that "honest communication" is really vital... from doing stretching to joint locks or take downs. Partners need to communicate exactly what is going on... for example, if a lock isn't working, it needs to be examined... even if the person is a higher rank. OIf course, pain indicators in stretching and such need to be looked at... I know how most of my partners respond and if they scream in pain if it's real pain or not!

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Why not? ;)

Keep those mistakes coming fellow TKD members!!!

18. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

Infesticon:-

I wouldn't worry too much about not training more than once a week yet. You can read and practice at home for now. Then when you go, go early and practice before your class starts. When the class starts give it 110%.

I think the debate above about how many nights you should train is an interesting debate. When I was younger and had less commitments I could train alot more, before my last grading I was doing an average of 3 sessions per week. Plus several Seminars and Black Belt sessions at weekends. My record was set years ago before I took my black belt when I managed to train 8 sessions in a week, that was at a time when I was doing 5 nights a week constantly. I personally think if you want to compete and have a good chance of bringing some metal home you should be looking at upping it from 2 nights a week. At the same time I don't think 5 nights a week with squad at the weekend is sustainable. I remember a funny moment from the black belt grading a few months ago - A black belt guy was in the warm-up room doing side rising kicks, a while before the grading started (The 1st Kups were still being graded at this point.) He was quite into it and was working up a bit of a sweat, anyway from across the room one of his mates shouts," CAREFUL ! DON'T PEAK TOO SOON !" (It WAS funny - but you had to be there.)

Anyway his point was right, I think you CAN peak too soon, so varying the amount you train relevant to when you plan to compete or grade is important.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

wrong. you learn these moves by continual repetition and sparring. If I only spar once or twice a week, someone who spars 4 times a week is going to floor me. Kimura realised his opponents trained 3 hours a day- so he started training NINE hours a day. and he was the best judoka that ever lived. every pro fighter trains for hours each day for a reason.

20. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

I completely agree with you. This is a problem at my school. We spar maybe twice a week - more close to tournaments. Then when we do spar it maybe for 15 minutes - taking turns. This isn't the greatest way to learn and you see it during testing and at tournaments. It also doesn't help that children - less than 15 years old - attend the adult evening class and are allowed to spar with the adults. Then we have to "go light".