Average number of hours a week training for martial artists

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vimtoforblood, Mar 19, 2010.

1. I know there have been alot of threads along the lines of "how many hours a week do you train?"

But does anyone know how many hours on average someone doing martial arts trains a week.

Obviously we could just work out an average for people who responded to threads like I mentioned. However does anyone know if a figure has been published?

How does it compare to other activities and past-times.

This question comes from a thread discussing whether it would be advisable to mention MA's on a CV/resume, where the question was raised as to whether people may perceive an interest in martial arts to be a threat to productivity at work.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92362

It would be interesting to look at other comparisons for martial arts compared to other physical activites/hobbies. I once saw a chart comparing calories burnt during a martial arts class vs. swimming, running etc. That was interesting. Would also be interesting to see cost compared to other sports/activities.

I know the concept of an "average" martial artist is a bit pants, but it at least gives us something to compare against people's preconceptions or ideas about martial artists, which often stem from such reliable sources as Enter the Dragon.

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I avearage out at about 12-14 hours a week.

More when I am training in Japan.

3. If I had to guess a figure, I think it would be as low as 4 hours.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Because of other commitments, usually 3-4 hours a week. Then I have around 3-4 hours of the gym on a good week.

Always thinking about it though, if that counts for anything.

5. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

8-10 hours a week on weights

12 hours teaching a week

6 hours as a student per week

6. Dizzyj

Dizzyj Valued Member

Currently doing 6 hours a week, with another 3 hours intensive training bi-weekly.

When I stop being injured I'll be adding in another 2 hours personal classes a week.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

These are "up to ___" as my training unfortunately various due to my shift work.

Muay Thai - 6hrs (2 sessions)
    PakMei - 4hrs
    Wrestling /MMA - 2hrs

When one of the above sessions is missed, a quick phone call to a few friends and a "random" class occurs. (ie only subs/striking/drills/general shenanigans)

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

4 hours karate, 4 hours gym per week.

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

between 3 and 8 hours a week karate, 2 to 4 hours tai chi, total ~5 to 12 hours

10. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Varies hugely due to re-occuring injury and bloody goddam kids (I love them all) but between 4 and 12 hours. So an average i would have to guess at around 7 hours. Not a lot when i consider that i probably spend the same amount of time queueing.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

30 hours a week on average (not including teaching or courses). Bear in mind I do a LOT of basic maintenance work because of my bionic hip.

12. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I'd say most average 4-6. Twice a week with two-3 hour classes.

Mine is 15-20.

13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

At the moment I train for 5 hours a week in boxing, I also hope to return to Muay thai.

14. SleepySasquatch

SleepySasquatch Valued Member

I know of no studies that have been performed in hopes of discovering an average training time. Perhaps some sports psychology articles would prove useful here. However, if I were to estimate, I would say somewhere between 1 and 3 hours a week.

I think for martial arts enthusiasts it can sometimes be too easy to disregard the fact that the majority of martial artists are average folks who only have the time and/or desire to practice more than one martial art for anymore than two sessions a week.

Regarding peoples previous answers, as VimtoForBlood stated he's not searching for the average training time of MAPers. I imagine that most who would feel passionate enough about martial arts to join a forum dedicated to the subject would have a substantially higher average training time than the general public. Therefore to make an average of the training times posted here would probably be counter productive.

15. SleepySasquatch

SleepySasquatch Valued Member

That is the best sentence I have read on any forum ever :hat:

16. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

around 6 hours a week.

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

there isn't going to be a meaningful average unless you clearly define what you mean by 'martial artist'.

The term can mean anything from silky-pajamas chi blasters to hard-core Aikdokas to semi-pro and pro fighters.

Your numbers will be all over the place. Everything from the arm chair warriors to those who train as hard-core as they can... wife and kids permitting. To those who are single and social misfits who spend every waking minute in the gym.

So if you really want a number that makes some sense... you need to set some parameters otherwise it's an exercise in futility.