Avengers Endgame - what's the point?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiMac, Dec 11, 2018.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

So I watched the Avengers Endgame trailer today, and had a big thought -- Why?

More specifically -- is this just a Shaw Brothers Hong Kong kung-fu revenge movie?

More specifically -- what is the overall plot? What are they going to do for 124 minutes of screen time?

See, the trailer implies to me that the surviving Avengers on Earth (I'm leaving out Tony Stark here) are going to build a spaceship and fly away to Thanos for the purpose of killing him. And I say to myself, "Why? That's just a B-rated Chinese kung-fu movie, and it's stupid here."

Right?
    • kung-fu movie from the 1970s: Bad guy kills my father/brother/master, so I study kung-fu, and then I hunt down the bad guy and kill him.
    • Endgame trailer: Blue alien kills half of my planet, so I get on a spaceship and hunt him down and kill him.
    Same story, no?

Soooo -- anybody have any idea what the movie really is about? Or did I nail it, more or less?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

They'll probably try to reverse Thanos's culling of 50% of all sentient life in the universe. Sounds like a good, fun movie to me.

axelb likes this.
  3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I got the impression, from this trailer at least, that it was gonna be a very sombre tale, that stepped away from the usual mould of comic book movies, focusing instead on how all of our heroes dealt with loss and failure...

Travess

4. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

The point is to make more money out of a franchise that they’ve been flogging to death for years. I watched the last one- it was a cliche ridden script of nonsense which majored on CGI effects in the absence of any creativity in actual storytelling. My 11 year old son wanted to see it. That’s my excuse. Movie making is a dying art form. This will be another nail in the coffin.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Want to know how I know you're old?

Van Zandt, Hannibal, aikiMac and 2 others like this.
  6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

To add to this, the trailer showed Hawkeye becoming Ronin so I'm guessing he's going to take quite a character turn. I'm interested personally. Be fun to see them adding some more depth to peeps

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

You may know the plot, it may have twists or no twists, but that isn't the sole purpose of the movie to have a unique plot.

It's rare to see a movie, TV show, stage production that hasn't done the same plot before.

The big reason people pay to watch is to see the character development, the execution of the direction, the interaction between the actors, the special effects, the sound track, the cathartic experience.

These are what gets people coming back to watch again and again. Plays from centuries ago being shown and packed out theaters, a plethora of movies on my media server I know the plot to back and front which I see this thousands of times, yet I will watch again.

That's the point :)

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Having just watched a video about this, I do have an actual answer for you that I'll stick in spoilers about them doing more than a 2 hour revenge movie.

I haven't seen AntMan 2 but apparently in that by the end they have some quantam space thing that means they can manipulate time and space, and its in the van that Antman turns up with in the Avengers trailer. So presumably they use that to rescue Ironman, and then the theory put forward by Mr Sunday Movies (to give him the credit) is that they then use it to jump around time messing with Thanos' history to prevent the events of the first movie.

Which I dislike for multiple reasons mostly related to it just being a giant deus ex machina, but I guess they needed one, and also if it ends with them removing Thanos' childhood and he becomes a nice people it'll be crap. But there you go. More to it potentially than just a revenge flick. [\SPOILER]

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Lack of emojis, and the use of a correct sentence structure?

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I'de be cool with it, revenge films are my favourite kind.

axelb likes this.
  11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'll spoil you right back! ;)
    I did see Ant-Man, so I know what you're talking about, but in that credit scene, Ant-Man is trapped in the quantum world, so, the Endgame trailer is weird. Obviously he got out, eh?

Your theory makes sense, except for Scott not knowing how to work the machinery in the prior movie. He manipulated the controls only when Michelle Pfeiffer was in control of his body, right? The father/daughter team worked the machinery at all other times. But then Thanos killed them. Perhaps they left an instruction book? I don't know.

Another theory I heard is that Doctor Strange used the time stone to put the time stone in a future time and place where the Avengers will find it, and somehow they will use it to run around time and space trying to undo what Thanos did to Earth. (shrug) I don't know how a non-magic-human can use a time stone, but, that's the theory.

But supposing either theory -- what about the rest of the universe? What about Gamora's family, in particular? That's nice that the Avengers, er, avenge Earth, but, I guess the rest of the universe, including all of the planets he killed before he got the rings, are less valuable? (shrug)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Southpaw535 likes this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah I mean.... it is a vengeance film. Clue is in the title: The Avengers

Archibald and Grond like this.
  13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I must be getting old too. I was underwhelmed by the Infinity War and not terribly excited by the trailer for Endgame (I did watch the trailer). I don't really see where the story can go, aside from reversing the ending of Infinity War or doing something wild like bringing back all the "dead" ones in new forms (new actors, maybe of different genders or ethnicities).

14. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

It’s probably better if I don’t read this sort of thread first thing in the morning.

15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Time travel, that's how the Infinity Gauntlet Attack gets foiled I think. Nick Fury sent a message back through time to Carol Danvers, and now she's going to show up during Infinity War. The movie Marvel Universe has not really yet plumbed the depths of time manipulation, but there is one who has, Dr. Strange. Strange saw "one" way to victory out of a million possibilities before he turned to ash, so maybe he set something up all along. Have somebody phone home to a (noble warrior hero) friend, which is what Nick Fury does before he turns to ash. Nick Fury and Ms. Marvel save 50% of the Universe? I can put my faith in that.

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm stoked. And its a revenge/Avenge movie. So?

So was Taken. So is a lot of films. Lets break films down eeeven more.

A has to get to B. End.

So why watch films? Why watch fights? Why listen to music? Why read poetry?

Its all the same. 2 people go into a ring with a rule set and 1 or 2 people win or lose or draw.

Music. Make sounds in things that come out of things.

Poetry . Words sound similar to each other.

So sure, its just the same as everything else.

Or it could be escapism by way of storytelling. The appreciation of art and artists, pulling in performances that get you emotionally involved and you dont even know them. And each individual performance is forever unique.
    The reception of your emotions via that medium whether you like it or not is down to your individual self.

;)

axelb likes this.