Attacker Choking you from the Front both hands around your neck.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

when his arms are up around your neck, the area by his arm pits are exposed........ I'd grab a nice chunk of his flesh on each side and make him let go... if not, i'd sink my base a bit while dropping some strikes in the crook of his arms to make him fold.. followed up with a knee blast to his sternum or face with I explode from my base.... in his face.. ha,ha,ha that rythmes.(sp)

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Nice answer. Suggestion: When you reach across just bring your elbow down and turn your body to the left (trapping both arms) and setting up a head-butt, then turn your body to the right and use the already in position elbow. You still have a free left hand for any surprises.

[sarcasm]
    Then call a lawyer cause he'll be crying about how you maliciously broke his nose; after all, he was just trying to choke the life out of you. So, of course, you over-reacted to his gesture of friendship (strangulation). [/sarcasm]

P.S. Ask if he plays football before you beat the tar out of him :D

3. Black Armor

Do what J-lo did in "enough".. that was a great move! (lol)

what about when the target starts choking you, you simply raise your hands between his as saying "whats up" and jamming your thumbs in his eyes!

4. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

DISCRIMINATION KING!

The wastrel's a CMA practicioner, you know.

5. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

Not CMA, but as a grappling art ju-jitsu has any number of ways of dealing with this. The two least difficult (to my mind) for a non-grappler that I can think of are:
    1) With the pinkie-side blades of your arms, pull the folds of his arms down into your chest and walk backwards- it's a little difficult to explain, but if done correctly it drops him to his knees in a prime position for a knneecap to the face.
    2) Raise both arms straight up quickly- this choke uses the weakest part of the human grip so comes off quite easily in this manner- slam both hands down into his neck. i'm sure as CMAs generally use strikes you can think of your own preference from this point, but we use our grip on his neck to pull ourselves into him, kneee to the groin, kick outwards at the inside of his kneecap, and run that foot down into his.
    Hope this helps!

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I have it on good authority he only slept with one once.

Dochter told me!

7. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

A lot of the previous replies seem workable to me but only in certain situations. As has already been pointed out, if you’re trying to punch the attacker in the head or body you may be in trouble if their reach is longer than yours (assuming their arms are relatively straight). Even if you can just about reach your blows will likely lack power. I also have issues about kicking in this situation. Whenever an attacker grabs you in some way they are likely to push or pull. In some way they are impeding your balance. You might be able to kick your training partner in the dojo but try it against someone who is pushing you around and it will become much harder. You may even end up falling over. If you do kick I would recommend kick very very low, eg. at their knees or shins.

So its useful to have some options that don’t rely on being able to reach the attacker’s torso with power, or being able to kick them. Here’s some that I use.
    1. Jab one finger into the suprasternal fossa (the notch just above the breastbone between the ends of the collarbones). While you do need to be able to reach the attacker’s neck its with a completely outstretched hand rather than a fist and requires practically no power at all. Done quickly this will cause the attacker to let go and jump back. It works on everyone I’ve ever tried it on.
    2. A more passive response is to simply push forwards, down and in on their elbows while sliding your own body back (assuming you have room to move back). This needs a couple of refinements to work well but I’m not sure how to properly explain them in writing.
    3. Pinch the upper arms (around the upper end of the distal triceps tendon) from underneath. This works on many people but needs to be done quickly. They should let go immediately.
    4. Turn side on and roll one arm in a big circle around its shoulder joint (from out to in) sweeping the attacker’s arms away.

For those people who are feeling relaxed about the idea of someone choking them in this manner, you’re right it’s a crap way to choke the way its usually done. But I suspect that if the attacker really wanted to kill you they would also instinctively drive their thumbs into your windpipe. This will make it a lot more troublesome.

Mike

8. caine

caine New Member

Just an observation, but, I was taught 2 ways to get out of this situation.
    And both of them are painful for the attacker. The only way I can answer this is to say that any attacker stupid enough to grab someone around the throat from the front of that person, deserves to be thoroughly roughed up. Neither of the defenses, I was taught, would leave the attacker standing, or being able to catch his breath.

9. Black Armor

whats up??? Share the love!

10. shifu tiger

shifu tiger enter my circle of death

you defend your life first at all costs then worry about everything else later, if i worry about what i do to my opponent who's trying to take me out then i am not effective against him. i totally agree with tattoed bear. bite scratch, kick, punch, eye gouge, broken necks it doesn't matter, whatever gets this guy off of you is all that matters, everything else is secondary. salute to all of my shou shu brothers and sisters.

11. Rice Krispies

Rice Krispies Valued Member

"i totally agree with tattoed bear. bite scratch, kick, punch, eye gouge, broken necks it doesn't matter, whatever gets this guy off of you is all that matters, everything else is secondary."

Yes it does matter. If its not neccesary, dont do it.

12. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

I agree with what ever it takes. If the guy is bigger than me and conventional stuff isnt working then im going to do what ever is necessary.

If you feel that a lawsuit is going to follow any altercation then that is a personal view that does not have anything to do with this thread. the thread was to exchange ideas on what you would do, not what would happen after you did what you did.

Salute,

13. Black Armor

How funny, " don't do it if it isn't necessary"

anything and everything is necessary when your life is at stake....

I often come to the conclusion that people that make these statements about what is and what isn't necessary or legal suits after the fact are people that haven't been put in the line of fire..
    I grew up ol school, If you come up wanting trouble... by any means necessary I will beat you...

I almost got into a fight last friday night with a guy that was parked in the street on his cell phone in my way to reach my home.. he wouldn't move.. when I pulled into the drive way, I got out hott and ****ed and yelled at him on what a dumb azz he was for sitting on the corner like that and he chanced hurting someone including himself....
    he jumped out of his truck for a second to yell at me but when he did, I was surprised because I thougth he was going to pursue a fight with me...
    I felt I could've taken him one on one hand to hand.. but my 1st thought was to crush his head with a shovel... so I reacted and told him if he steps out.. he wouldn't be jumping to and from his truck no time soon once he stepped on my driveway...
    I had a handy 2x4 close to me... and to be honest, I would've cracked that dude so hard with that weapon, regardless how much I thought I could take him.. I would've finished the fight very fast and by any means necessary! Who's with me?
    it wouldn't have been a nice situation regardless...
    was I worried about legalities.. hell no!!!!
    from the time it takes the cops to be called or reach your home.. my story is down and i'm scared for my life at this would be attack gone wrong.. very wrong!!!!
    ha,ha,ha

14. shifu tiger

i agree if it's not nessesary don't do it but in most cases if someone is choking you in my book they're trying to kill you, cutting off your air supply is attemted murder! so in that instance it is very nessesary to do whatever it takes to defend your life. any hestitation in that situation means probable death, to you! the attack we're talking about here is a front choke right? think about it? cutting off air supply means you die! doing whatever it takes to get him off of you means you live, there is no crime in defending your life. salute to all of my shou shu sisters and brothers

15. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

On the other hand I remember someone attacking me by putting their hand around my throat. My response? I tensed my neck and pushed him backwards down some steps. He had to let go or he would have fallen backwards. Clearly he wasn't trying to kill me.

While I think its important to have fatal techniques in your arsenal its equally important to be able to respond proportionately to non-life-threatening assaults.

Mike

16. shifu tiger

i agree brown flow any means nessesary! i hear that my friend. that's what seperates us from others is our willingness and skill level to handle anything that comes along and not to worry about law suits and stuff! law suits are the last thing on my mind, in fact i never think about them. i only think about blood bones and quiet!! lol! dude we're so lucky to have shou shu as our art! cya hope to cya tonight... salute

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Shifu,

I am glad that you are so confident. Please be this confident when you are in jail for an over-response to an attack that was as stupid as it was life-threatening.

If someone grabs your throat i would suggest that they are a rank amatuer and probably drunk - that is at least in 98% of my experience with this attack (most Friday and Saturday nights actually). Obviously it is not pleasant and if they really are throttling you then by all means take 'em out. But if they grab and snarl to "psych" you there is no justification for taking their life when a good kick in the nuts and a push off will do.

Like so many other things in life you must make a judgement call according to circumstance. Be willing to go the extra mile, but also be aware you may not have to.

And can we please drop the "hard on for Shou shu" stance. I am pleased you enjoy your art, but it is no better than the next one - just different.

18. shifu tiger

the hard on stance for shou shu isn't meant for anyone else only for my shou shu brothers and sisters, i didn't say it was better than the next one. i hope u enjoy your art as well!!!! i for one will not "drop the hard on for shou shu" stance. either you sound offended by our confidense or you seem to be offended by it, please correct me if i'm wrong i'm just trying to understand what the problem is? no problem with you on my end. getting back to the subject, i will not even allow a casual grab at me even by a non threatning drunk, it just will not happen. yes i know how and would use proper judgement according to the threat. a good hard kick in the yang would do the job usually but there are times when they refuse to let go and that's when it's nessesary to use excessive force. thankfully i haven't had to use this amount of force in a fight but i am more than willing and prepared to do so, whatever comes after is not important if i know i'm in the right and am justified in using lethal force. salute to all of my shou shu brothers and sisters.

19. Black Armor

Lets get something straight Hannibel-

When I or we say "i'd eliminate someone who grabbed me by my throat" DO YOU REALLY THINK WE MEAN ELIMINATE" c'mon dude... we are on the net and everyone may exaggerate a bit...EVERYONE!
    Even though we have this "BIG HUGE HARD ON!!!" for the art we study and love... and we learn the quickest means possible to end conflict, I at least would like to think to end it as quick as possible.. one of the other things we learn and I hope the other practioners do the same.. is learn patience. If i'm at an event or a social gathering.. no one is going to just walk up and try to strangle me.. i'm sure there would be something to start off this attempt such as words exchanged or what have you.. I would make the decision at that point how much force is needed to try and difuse the problem or contain the problem...

So when we say... "i'd make sure that scumbag doesn't touch another person in his life and his next life" we don't mean to make it sound like;
    "if i'm walking down the street and a neighbor bumps into me,.. i'm going to rip his adams apple out and shove it in his ****!"

When I say "i'd make sure this doesn't happen again" I mean if im' in the situation where my life is actually THREATENED! examples:
    someone attacks me from behind in a parking lot...
    someone trying to car jack me...
    someone w/intent to use deadly force against someone in my family.
    someone w/a gun on me..

Now don't get me wrong.. if someone just walked up blatantly and snatched me by my throat.. that fool is getting taken out... his intent is deadly.. why would he just walk up out the blue and snatch me up like that if his intent isn't to cause great harm to me or my family....

So c'mon smart guy.. be sensible!

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ahhh! Then we DO agree on the level of force then!

I know these message boards are informal, but "kill 'em all" should not be anybody's first response. Glad you feel likewise (eventually that is).

Again, I have no beef with SS at all - it just seems to pervade into everything. Never mind -I'll just live with it.

Bahala Na!