Atheism

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So yeah, seen as anti-religious (which technically it isn't, although many atheists do poke fun at organised religion), and is for some reason seen as the "Left" thing to be.

As the World gets more educated, (I think I read somewhere about the 60's generation being one of the most educated?) more people are turning into atheists, believing that the scientific facts prove evolution, that homosexuals should be treated equally, and that we should all have a decent moral code anyway.

I was wondering what turns people to religion, is it just because they are scared of death and need comfort? Are they born into it?

2. february

february Valued Member

I believe all those things too, but i'm not an atheist. What makes you think the above is exclusive to atheists?

The reconciliation of spirituality, religious doctrine etc. with the modern world and its interplay within the general human condition is far more complex than you've given it credit for above. Things aren't anywhere near that black and white.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

well you assume that if you're not religious that you dont believe in some type of larger force.

also this is a fire thread for sure

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

*doubles!*

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. masterPain

masterPain Valued Member

As a devout Agnostic, I wish the blessings of Agnes upon you all.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My religion is pretty personal to me and has nothing at all to do with a fear of death or a need for comfort

If I needed religion as an excuse to do things I would have joined Anton LaVey's organisation

7. righty

righty Valued Member

In my opinion people who call themselves atheists should have a read of what the term actually means. It's possible to be deeply religious and be an atheist.

Here is a good start...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-religion

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

no its not lol ? people who call themselves "atheism ? are you trying to say people can be anti-religious and believe in god ? if so that's not a very well worded sentence and someone with those beliefs would not be described as an atheist.

this link describes beliefs that are the opposite of being deeply religious and an atheist.

9. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I believe two things can make a person religious: Being raised that way, or being vulnerable/desperate.

I don't mean that negatively. It's what got my ass back in church. After the last six months (quick recap: life fell apart :p) I found my life utterly empty, devoid of meaning, and all those classic cliches, and thought "alright, if God is out there, if submitting to it all gives you strength like I've been told, now is the time to try it."

I found it helped to a degree - the community spirit in church is comforting and to know there are people wishing you well feels good, and prayer helps to focus the mind. I'm not sure if I'm a christian or how strongly I believe, or don't, but I cried like a child that night in church, the sermon really seemed to hit home and everything said was relevant.

I guess when you feel you've lost everything you'll look for ANYTHING to hold onto, even if you can't see or hear it, etc :s

(PS, I don't think equality for homosexuals is a religious/atheistic thing, it's a human rights thing.)

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

it becomes a religious thing when religions make it one, most major religions oppose equality for homosexuals thus why it is invariably linked to the debate.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Religion encompasses many things and not all have a deity per se so yes it is entirely possible to be an atheist and hold another religious view...not common or possibly even likely but it can happen

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

very true although I struggle to think of any examples, however as I said in my post the link she posted described people of the exact opposite nature, I.E people who are anti or indifferent to religion but believe in a deity, thus my confusion at what she meant.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I think these are mostly built on the misconceptions of what people think organized religion is and does. I also find it no mere coincidence that part of the reason why there is such a degradation of morals, values, familial responsibility, and respect for our fellow man in overall society today is a lack of such an influence in peoples' lives.

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

The '60s were not more educated, at least not in the academic sense. If you remain stagnate in your learning, each decade you will score ten points less on an IQ exam. Each decade the amount we require high school students to learn increases in America. I'm highly confident this is the case in the UK too. Whoever wrote that crap about the '60s was probably from that era and nostalgic.

Primarily it's just tradition. People don't think about it and just follow in their parent's belief system. A few people convert for love. Some people convert because they've committed every sin in the book as a heretic and in the case of Christianity, chase after the promise of easy redemption and acceptance of another group. These former sinners often become fanatical in their devotion. I assume most religious people are swayed by the human desire for answers and order. It's not for me personally, but some of the kindest and most genuine human beings I've known have been religious, so I try to remember that while FOX News and Evangelicals make them all seem nuttier than many are.

15. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

I have a masters degree in Engineering (analog electronics) and I have never doubted evolution as a biological mechanism. There are many scientists who are religious.

Or they have a religious experience.

I wasn't a believer, and then I was. The details are personal, and by no means am I saying I'm right and you're wrong. Arguing about why or how is like trying to explain color to a color blind person. It's an argument that cannot be resolved. That's why it's called 'faith' or 'belief'.

16. righty

righty Valued Member

The link posted up was just a good place to start reading about things. It's not the sole resource by any means on the topic.

In my opinion most people who call themselves 'atheistic' are more accurately described by other terms mentioned that link.

17. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

The problem I see with either of the above is they are generalisations. While they may well be true in a number of cases, it would be presumptuous to say "these are the things that make people religious" and think that you've identified all the reasons. People are complex and individuals could have all sorts of reasons for believing. I've met a few people who are believers but who would be hard to shoehorn into any of the above categories (scared of death, need comforting, raised that way, vulnerable). Let's also not rule out that there are a good number of people who genuinely believe that their beliefs are true. For many of them, this would be the main reason for their belief.

However, that's not to say that generalisations are completely wrong. I'd concede that the above four reasons may well cover a good proportion of religious belief. I'd just caution to be aware that generalisations like that will not cover all bases and would likely present an over-simplified view of reasons for religious belief.

Atheism can mean different things to different people. In the same way that being a Christian may mean different things once you get down into the nitty gritty of an individual's Christianity, not all atheists use the same definition of atheism. For some it's positive non-belief "there definitely is no god", for others it's a position of doubt "there is no evidence for god or gods".

18. NightSky

NightSky Valued Member

Educate yourself: http://i41.tinypic.com/swxvyf.jpg

I am an Agnostic Atheist according to this picture. But I believe that he exists same as I believe that there might be giant purple tea cup orbiting around the sun.

I doesn't bother about it at all - I know this is one life we have. There will be no second life or hell or heaven. We have one chance to do what we want to do and life is damn short.

So enjoy it and live it :)

19. Chock

Chock Valued Member

If you really are even remotely agnostic, then by definition you don't know if this is the one life we have for sure, nor can you be certain that there will be no second life either. :Angel:

But, by the same token, just because I cannot prove JFK wasn't assassinated by space aliens, that doesn't make it likely that he was. :Alien:

Al

20. NightSky

NightSky Valued Member

It's hard with even this definitions to place somebody somewhere without "buts".

I know this is one life we have, because being 2feet under seems not much of a life.

For me, realizing that is more spiritual than something that any religion can offer..we have one life and WE are responsible for what's happening in it. There is no gods, higher forces, destiny, other lives..one life, one chance, one responsibility. And we have to use it instead of praying imaginary guys on the sky.

No offend to anyone, I don't hate no one - I am just suggesting what I think could help anybody. Here is one great site on facebook, if anybody wants to join, great pictures there..

http://www.facebook.com/GSHMP