ATA anyone?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by azn tiger, Nov 22, 2004.

1. gumby

gumby New Member

It was one of the monthly themes for the kids. I guess the instructor thought it didn't apply to him. :(

2. azn tiger

azn tiger New Member

That stinks about your instructor gumby. I don't think i have to worry about mine doing that though, he has been teaching for over 30 years. This is one guy you can really tell that its not about the money. You know he just loves what he does and that he gets his real joy from watching his students progress. I think that he is even happier when students earn their black belt than the student is. Besides teaching where I learn, he teaches at three other local clubs, which we can visit anytime, he also teaches self defense at the college which we can go to any time and he is a pastor at a church and a retired marine. He just loves to stay busy and teach.

3. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

ATA hmmmm

All that bad stuff about ATA shouldnt be said even if true its still not virtuous and you shouldnt slander or try and take away from ata bottom line is its messed up.

Yea but about ata my instructor used to be with the ATA organization but he left because he didnt like the way it was setup which is understandable but now he teaches on his own and we learn alot more now because he doesnt have to limit his self due to ata so yea I quess its ATA with a mixture

4. power

power New Member

ata rules!!!

i take ata. i've been doing it for four years i'm going for my second degree

sure there are extra costs but you get what you pa for!!!

my school does ata xma jiu-jitsu,escrima by the way

5. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

EXACTLY

Began in the ATA now I play in the ITA. Circumstances of the environment.

EVERYBODY pays out the wahoo compared to the first dojo I joined.

6. Goat

Goat Valued Member

Please don't make the assumption that American Tae Kwon Do Association or ATA as it is referred to is the discipline of American TKD. IT IS NOT!!. ATA is a separate organization and although they have taken a name that suggests it is the foundation of American TKD they are by no means associated with Master Jhoon Rhee. They were founded in Omaha, Nebraska by Master Haeng Ung Lee (whom now is referred to as *Eternal Grand Master)

For a dramatic difference consider this, schools and programs affiliated with Master Rhee have and will always hold open tournaments, not only are other TKD schools considered as ITF or WTF invited but all styles of the Martial arts are welcomed, in contrast ATA holds "closed" tournaments, (you have to be a member of ATA). Also before Master Lee's passing he introduced the Songahm system and this is the system most widely used in ATA schools. By contrast again American TKD or American Karate teaches many of the traditional ITF forms as well as some Traditional Japanese Forms.

ATA is run like a business with an established black belt academy franchise program. American TKD, on the other hand, is run like a family with a very close connection between the hierarchy of instructors and their respective schools.

I say this not to down grade ATA schools they have their way and we have ours, it's just when I see what I consider to be (and this is just an opinion based on direct observance of ATA training) a less strict discipline with poorly executed techniques being aligned with Master Rhee's and Allen Steen's "BLOOD and GUTS" TKD I tend to get a bit agitated.

For a list of tournaments where you can test your skills against true 'American TKD" practitioners check here http://www.karatetournaments.com/uswest.htm#MN
    or in the east here http://www.karatetournaments.com/useast.htm#OH much like the Diamond Nationals http://www.diamondnationals.com/ or the US open http://www.usopen-karate.com/welcome.asp?default.asp&2 or the Day of Champions http://www.dayofchampionsmartialartsclassic.com/ you will find all styles and disciplines are welcomed, as for Master Rhee's and Allen Steen's continued students they are there as well, sometimes we win sometimes we don't but we are not against competing in an open tournament unlike ATA where in their tournaments I can guarantee an ATA student will win.

7. merlinmsk

merlinmsk Yeah....

Never heard of ATA before, only ITF and WTF. Studied WTF for the time i was active in the MA world(6 years)

8. camouflagecat

camouflagecat Valued Member

But the organization should regulate what their members do, that's where the generalizations come from. Otherwise why not just be on your own if you'll have free reign anyway?

9. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

very true. and I basically meant that the ATA was mostly likely mainly filled with McDojos with the occaisonal wonderful school.....maybe.....

10. Sawkhemer

Sawkhemer New Member

This is the problem i've found with the ATA. I've been in the arts for over 25 years, with TKD I came from the wtf, with only the ATA in my town, i was forced to train here. There are contracts, the pricing is outrageous, the quality of students are terrible, at red belt you should be able to do at least a decent side kick by now right. Sparring is a joke. Point sparring should be banned. One of my old Soke's once said. Train the way you fight fight the way you train. No punch to the head, yeah thats realistic isn't it. What is sparring anyway, its a controlled fight right, if any of you have ever done real fighting, ISKA, kyukoshin, or muay thai, its all about the rythum of the fight, how the hell are you supposed to do that when someone sits on there heel, with the lead leg half cocked and slides up your leg and they call that a point. You develop terrible fight presence and forsight, that crap didn't fly in the military when I taught CQD, close quarters disarmment. Lets get real, this is martial science, if you don't want to learn to fight correctly stay in the ata, the first time you face someone who's used to eating a half ass strike to get in on you, and I bet you'll have you head exposed from bad training since you don't have to worry about getting punched in the head, you have your ass handed to you. Thats the real world, if you don't like it take up cheerleading, or stay in forms, which is cheerleading for martial arts. All style, no substance. All us old school guys feel this way, yeah there were some hard hits, hard days you had to take, but it made you more prepared for what might be out there. Ask a state trooper, or local poilce if they do light crap like that, execute a technique without someone doing it to you first, so you feel the pain as well, know exeactly what it could do to someone. Ahhh, remember when Sabuum, and Soke's were the real deal.

11. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

I cannot speak to the ATA as a whole, but the ATA dojang near where I live does not give me a very good impression of the style.