At what point do you call the cops on your neighbors?

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by E-Rocker, Sep 26, 2004.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

you must be joking?! :confused: so if there is a bar fight on one side and a man beating up his wife on the other, where will the police officers go?

and I really can't understand women who stay with their husbands who beat them up?????? :confused: some of them would probably say that they don't want to rack the home because of the kids, but is it really better for the kids to witness such domestic violence and be exposed to such a stress and trauma???? i don't think so. if my husband tried to beat me or took his anger out on the kids, i'd definitely make sure that he never sees them again. i can understand that we all get angry, but it doesn't mean that we are allowed to do whatever in the heat of the moment. it's different when you punch a bag till you drop dead but to use your wife or a kid...????

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  2. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

I guess there are a few options that you can explore before the police. You could call round with the pretence of borrowing something, remembering that you might get caught in the arguement or violence. You might be able to scope the situation or at the very least interupt the fight.

If you know the couple then either phone or speak to the victim the next day and encourage them to seek help. This is always a difficult one, because many want to keep the abuse private. Love is another strange part, it plays strange tricks on the mind. As does fear.

Fortunately the public awareness of domestic violence has been raised in the UK, but unless a LEO has witnessed the crime, has reasonable grounds to believe a crime is being/has been committed, or has the crime reported to them, there is little they can do. I would imagine that they will also prioritise calls so don't expect the cavalry to come charging in.

3. juan ramirez

juan ramirez New Member

it seems that your neighbors have no shame. Airing dirty laundry is for most people an embarassment. I would be upset that im paying money to live somewhere and here that stuff! I would NOT get involved. There are actualy laws against disturbing the peace. I would find out if there is a way to register a complaint or solve the problem as anonoumously as possible. these people have demonstrated that they cant be trusted to be civil or polite so dont let them be a part of your life. I would be concerned about my own safety before theirs. both people who persist in living that lifestyle are EQUALY responsible... remember that before your sympathy takes over.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2004
  4. Chelle2

Chelle2 New Member

Some time back I lived in an apartment complex and my neighbors would yell and scream at each other often. Mostly him yelling at her. They had two small boys. I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't just leave him. I was not one (at that time in my life) to get involved so I tried to not hear it. One night I couldn't take it anymore, I felt so bad, I could hear her crying over there and she wouldn't defend herself or leave. I called the police and they came and took him away. While he was gone she started packing. In talking with her I found she was just waiting for someone to step in and help her, she felt helpless. I was glad I called, wish I would have sooner.