Asthma frustrations!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cavallin, Aug 24, 2010.

1. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

I know a lot of people are diagnosed with Asthma, due to various allergens and I'd like some advice and maybe share some experiences.

At the moment I am training for the TKDI World championships (I'm with the TAGB) so I've really stepped up the training. I'm feeling fitter than ever.
    I will need to fight continuously for x2 2 minute rounds and i know fitness is probably my weakness.

The most annoying part, is that actually it's not fitness that is my weakness, it's asthma. For those who don't have it, here are my symptoms:

- get out of breath very quickly
    - very heavy loud shallow breathing
    - At worse throat closes up and whatever you breathe in makes no difference
    - At even worse you start panicking because you can't breathe
    - I also get really emotional and start to cry
    - I get really frustrated because I wish my lungs would work properly
    - This makes me more emotional, which in turn makes the asthma worse :|

So I am getting really frustrated because I feel like I can't do my best, or that everyone else is going on and I'm struggling, and i look like I am unfit when I am not.
    It really varies from time to time, and i was always told that running and sprinting and basically physical exercise is triggers my symptoms :(
    it's only becoming a serious issue now that I have the Worlds coming up.

I suppose now would be a good time to start taking the brown pump again every day, because it got better and i didn't need to do that anymore.

Anyone got the same problem? Got any advice?

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

^ My advice would be this. (And yeah, I'm a fellow sufferer - relatively mild though, fortunately.)

The steroid should start to kick in after 2-3 days and you should notice the difference. I'd also consider getting Ventolin, if you don't already, and using it 15 mins pre-training whether you feel you need it or not. You can always stop using it proactively like that once you've finished with the World Championships.

And best of luck with those, by the way! :)

3. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

Thank you :) Yeah I tend to forget to take it before training, and end up taking it during lots more times than normal. Because I've stepped up the training it's got worse, so I do hope it's just a case of it getting worse before it gets better...
    Mine is normally quite mild, but not lately. I'm struggling to handle my emotions related to it though, any tips with that one?

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

From personal experience, I'm afraid not. Mine is sufficiently mild that I've never experienced the panic that's come with struggling for breath. The only times I've ever come close is when I volunteered for asthma trials, and even then I felt safe in the lab setting surrounded by docs and nurses with reliever drugs on instant standby.

Normal advice for helping someone calm down in any situation is "take slow deep breaths". Ironically, for an asthmatic having an attack, that's the one thing we can't do!

Mind if I ask - do you know what your allergen is? If you don't it might be worth getting a skin pr!ck test done. Basically, the doc makes a number of small scrathes in the skin along your forearm and has several different common allergens in solution. They'll put one drop of the different solutions on each scratch, wait 15 mins and measure the swelling of any you react to. It's helpful to know. E.g. I'm moderately allergic to house dust mite and very mildly to tree pollen. From this I've been able to control it much better by avoiding dusty carpets and furniture in other people's houses and using Raid to kill the little buggers off in my own house. I also know to keep an inhaler to hand in the spring when the trees are getting all spunky on our heads.

5. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

Spunky hihi.
    Sounds good, might give it a go, but if it's triggered by physical activity (sports induced asthma i think?) i guess they'll come back clear.

Surprised there are no other sufferers out there. What about controlling your emotions in general, how would someone deal with that? might help.