ask for guidance

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by WhoKnows?, Apr 15, 2022.

1. WhoKnows?

WhoKnows? New Member

does anyone know how to cultivating qi and some reliable book for qi? or does anyone know how to circulate qi in body?

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Yes, I know how to cultivate qi.

I know of a couple of out if print books that discuss it, but you won't find manuals on how to do it.

Yes, I know how to circulate qi in the body.

3. WhoKnows?

WhoKnows? New Member

then can you share your experiences a bit to me on how to circulate qi if it convenient for you?

4. Dan Bian

Well, what do you want to know?

5. WhoKnows?

WhoKnows? New Member

on how to feel qi and circulate it inside the body

6. Dan Bian

Interesting.

Firstly, qi already circulates in the body - if it didn't, you'd be dead.
    The goal of practice is to promote a better flow.

Second, why do you want to feel it?
    Don't chase sensations. Just focus on your practice.

What do you study at the moment?

*the above comments are based on certain traditional Chinese medical, martial and spiritual practices, and should not be misinterpreted as endorsement.

7. WhoKnows?

WhoKnows? New Member

well i'm still new to this

8. Dan Bian

Are you currently learning any martial arts/neigong/qigong?

9. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP. :)

One of the issues is that Qi is such a broad based concept that a little more information is needed to guide you to what you want to do.

There is an approach to Qi as just meaning breath. Then there is a wide variety of martial arts concepts. And the Chinese Traditional Medicine approach. And you will get interpretations from the Traditional to the new age. It can be a surprisingly controversial subject that is the cause of much bickering in the Internet martial arts community.

It sounds like you want to do some Qigong. Some people intermix this as the same as Tai Chi. My school teaches it as it's own thing. There is some overlap, in what is taught, but we define it separately. I have run across stuff on the Internet where they don't.

I haven't read it, but I would try the book Xue recommended. I trust Xue's opinion and if recommends it, I bet it is good.

I would suggest starting with standing meditation. My school's GM has a video for standing meditation that might be a good start. I think it is open for sale to anyone who writes to the E-mail on the page. They sell downloaded files too. An update from old school DVDs.

Just start with a few minutes a day and work up to at least 20 minutes a day if you can.

Scroll down to see the video I am suggesting. It is called "The 13 Positions of Tai Chi Standing Meditation."

Instructional Videos - Plum Blossom International Federation

Try to see if there are any Qigong teachers in your area. But watch out for the people who claim magical Qi powers. There is a lot of fraud intermixed with the cultivation of Qi. It can get quite cultish.

(Mod note: A gentle reminder that we want MAP to be a place welcoming to newcomers. We were all beginners once. Let's be encouraging and patient in our posts/ responses, ok? Thanks.)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Dan Bian likes this.
  11. Dan Bian

I've never really been a fan of the "try and do X-amount of time" method of standing.
    The way I was taught, and teach, is to integrate "softening the core" neigong into the practice of standing - it may be that you only stand for a minute or two, but in that time you are actively aware of the body and working on releasing excess tension.

As standing isn't an endurance challenge, I find that "try to stand for...." leads to the student unintentionally building more tension as they try to force themselves to hold for longer.

Callen and Flying Crane like this.
  12. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Qi is like many special/secret techniques, it is not something that can be taught, it is just something you learn to inhibit. That is the best way to describe it. Take for example, you have 2 students studying on how to play a guitar, one quickly learns it and makes the guitar sing, the other student can play the strings correctly, but can not make it sing. The same goes for martial arts and many other things, the person was able to inhibit the skill. To inhibit a skill, you have to be able to mentally and physically feel the skill, not just perform the task. With Qi, it is mentally and physically (what is referred to as energy) flowing though your body. I learned a trick that works for me, I do not have full use of my right hand, so I get arthritis pain all the time. When I (what they call meditate) I focus on the pain in my hand, when I can feel a certain sensation in my hand, I know I am doing it correctly. You do not need to have an injury as I do, just start at your hand, focus within your body, and move up through your hand and through your body. That is the best way of putting it, I hope this helps.

13. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

I forgot to add that I found laying on your back makes it easer to meditate or focus, certain types of music also helps, or at least for me.

14. Dan Bian

If you think of "qi" as a technique, you are on the wrong path.

Callen likes this.
  15. Dan Bian

And, I would argue that, if you can only meditate whilst in a quiet room, sitting or laying comfortably, with gentle music playing discreetly in the background - then you cannot meditate at all.

16. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

I mentioned that because he said he was a beginner. I, personally, can and do meditate with music.

17. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Please read how I stated it, (Qi is like many special/secret techniques), in other words, it is not something commonly taught, or learned. Please be careful when you tell someone that they are wrong, make sure you have fully read what they are trying to express.

18. Dan Bian

Learning to "inhibit" something implies that you are learning to stop, hinder or restrain that thing.
    Perhaps you have a different meaning, however it is hard to discern what that meaning may be.

19. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Yes, you are completely correct, and thank you for correcting me. I sometimes rush through a response and choose the wrong term, suck's getting old lol. I was trying to find a simple term of seeing and feeling within your mind and body. Whether you are doing Qi/Chi, martial arts, or practicing a musical instrument. You can achieve the greatest success if you can see and feel it with your mind and body. Does that explain more of what I was trying to express?

20. Dan Bian

Your reply has certainly been enlightening.