As a TS woman do I stand a chance against men?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Oh wow didn’t expect so many replies to this pist. I literally just put it up cos I was feeling ballsy. Thinking the stuff like muscle memory would make me able to fight a slightly smaller guy. Just got hammered in the end.

I would like male vs female fights to be normalized in a fair way. You would need to figure out the differences but could probably be done with weight advantage for the female. You see this sort of stuff happen in thailand occasionally its often a highly skilled female vs an average male.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2020
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

So trying to get near equal muscle mass between opponents?

3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Yeah basically small man vs big woman. The few fighters that can win against men is really inspiring. It would also make getting a fair fight easier for me.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Please remember that profanity, including masked profanity is not allowed on MAP. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  5. aaradia

Mod note: Joking about murdering and raping women is against MAP's Terms of Service. MAP is a place where we want people from all walks of life to feel welcome. Also, on a minor note, it is not family friendly either.

On a personal, non-moderator team note. as a female martial artist I was very disappointed to see several people think that it was funny. People on here I normally have respected.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    IronMaiden1991 likes this.
  6. David Harrison

It wasn't the subject matter that amused me, it was the very well-aimed poking of fun at the theme of competition in evolutionary psychology that we had been discussing. I took it as sarcasm directed toward that, and common misrepresentations of genetic selection in general, which are often very misogynistic.

I'm not disagreeing with you removing it, as I can see how it could be taken, but I thought it was anti-machismo, not misogynistic.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It was hilarious and dark. Just because you don't find it funny, doesn't mean it's not funny. Quit being a downer.

8. aaradia

I will, as an individual, continue to speak up against finding rape and murder of women a point of humor for men. Just as I will continue to speak up against issues like racism, homophobia, etc. And that is all I will say for now, so as not to derail the thread.

hewho, Southpaw535, wakaba and 4 others like this.
  9. David Harrison

Upon reflection, and dropping any defensiveness about my own feelings, you're right; it isn't inclusive and certainly isn't family friendly.

Thanks for speaking up, and I apologise for you having to do so.

aaradia likes this.
  10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

As I’ve said before , if I made the the kind of jokes on here I make at work I’d (quite rightfully) be permabanned pretty quick , there’s a time and place.

Smitfire likes this.
  11. wakaba

wakaba Valued Member

Hey I'm a transgirl too. Well, it depends on how far along you are on HRT and how much muscle you had to begin with. You will lose a bunch of it over a year on HRT, even if you are working out. So while you lose that muscle your chances of defeating a male competitor are smaller and smaller.

IronMaiden1991 likes this.
  12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've had trouble logging into map for a few weeks so sorry to bring this back around. But for what its worth, I reported the joke and started the conversation with the mod team, not aaradia. So beyond the usual "if there's a problem with modding, talk to us privately, not in thread" thing, just wanted to (very late) speak up against aaradia taking the flak for it since it was me who brought it to the mod team.

David Harrison and aaradia like this.
  13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Haha don't be sorry mate that's an awesome response. I do need to preface this with saying that I'm pretty bad at theory. I got by in uni by being very very good at writing, not by being bright!

But, while I don't disagree with any of your points on the origins of the EU, my impression is it still goes against Realism? Or at least classical realism doesn't seem to be able to accept that countries would willingly give up sovereignty or submit to a larger power whether it was in the interests of their security or not? My understanding is that realism basically struggles with international organisations as it is? They can justify it for the big boys, they're using it for their own ends and really its a dictatorship led by the dominant power rather than a cooperation etc etc. But it is rather mute on why weaker powers willingly take part.

And while it might make sense for France and Germany (everthing you mentioned about the root reasons for the ECSC is absolutely fascinating to me and pretty amazing that its a really unknown part of history in common knowledge) to have taken part, the fact that places like Croatia, the Baltics, and the other states that individually have no power in the EU but would still be willing to join doesn't seem to slot comfortably into how realism views the world.

Mangosteen likes this.