Army of Two

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by narcsarge, Mar 30, 2008.

1. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Thought it deserved it's own thread so ......

My synopsis of the game through level 4:

WARNING! Language may not be suitable for younger players.

The game has good graphics w/ lots of visible "splatter" when you down an enemy. The video scenes are great even if they happen a bit too often. I also hate that you are constantly interrupted by the window to go shop and upgrade your weapons. Though usefull, it makes the gameplay a bit choppy.

This is definitly not a run-and-gun game. I played w/ my son who is the king of run-and-gun and I was constantly tending to him medically. Learning how and when to use the "Agro" feature is a definit plus. Your partner can take "the heat" while you sneak around for headshots. I am a bit disappointed that you don't have a controller button specificly for Melee attacks as you have in Halo. Having such a button would give the run-and-gunners a better chance.

Weapons are awesome and the ability to upgrade them is nice. The "heavy" guys require team work and precise shooting to take out. You simply are not able to run up and beat down a "heavy".

I haven't played on-line yet but will so in a few days.

Narc.

2. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

I have had it for about a week and love it. Played the single player campaign about twice. It's really fun both alone and with friends. Altough I haven't managed to get the online part working yet.

Run & gun works when playing on the easiest difficulty level, but if you increase the difficulty it get's alot more tactical. I have to physically punish (throw stuff at) every new friend I introduce to the game to get him to listen, it has been a lesson in behavioural psychology :rolleyes:
    Female friends are usually alot better than male friends at this game.

I like the cutscenes and weapon upgrade parts, let's you enjoy the game more imo. In short, it's an amazing game. Haven't had this much fun in a game since COD4.

3. narcsarge

Well since I started on "Contractor" or medium difficulty, I don't know about the easier level. Contractor is challenging enough for me right now. Learning to move, swap weapons, change weapons when given the opportunity, using Agro and your partner and the meager amounts of ammo make for a good time if you like dying! :)

I haven't signed up online yet either but might make that jump this weekend. Thanks for your thoughts SWEHurricane.

4. Otataral

Otataral Sapientes Gladio

I've heard mixed things about this game. The co-op is great, but aside from that the game isnt all that good. I was hoping that it would come out for the pc. I might pick it up one day in the future if it gets cheaper or i find a friend who wants to play it aswell.

5. narcsarge

Well my son and I beat the game yesterday on Contractor setting (normal I guess). Tried to play a bit on-line too but the lagging made gameplay intolerable. I got so fed up with it that I quit.

Overall, I thought it was a good game even if it was too short and not terribly difficult. I think I will play the full campaign w/ the AI just to get that achievement.

A few complaints:
    1. When using sniper shots, even though your weapon is silenced, you don't get away w/ any shots! You snipe someone and BINGO! The bad guys are on to you.

2. The "heavies" can only be taken out with coordinated effort or gernades but because you are limited in picking up gernades, this can make for a long battle.

3. If you have a shotgun attachment to your main weapon, switching during gameplay is not the easiest thing. Though having the shotgun mount is devasting (I haven't tried the Gernade launcher yet...)

Overall I would give it a 7 out of 10 just because it is definitly fun playing w/ 2 players. Lots of strategy is involved and communication a must. Letting someone go "AGRO" while the other player sneaks around to the side to take out the bad guys is fun. The "overkill" feature is exciting too. The action slows down for the guy who isn't going "AGRO" during overkill (similar to Back-to-Back speed). You can move up and take out enemies easier when in Overkill.

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

My housemate now has the game so I think a fair bit of gaming will be in order this week :D

7. narcsarge

I think you will enjoy it though you pass through the levels quite quickly.

Love to hear your take on the game once you've had a chance to play it.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Bought the game yesterday and I think it's good but overrated in terms of professional reviews: It definitely sees like a game you have to play with others to fully appreciate. Is anyone else havin trouble getting it online? I had the same sort of problems with airborne and im starting if EA dont spend the time polishing up the multiplayer

9. narcsarge

I only tried playing online once but the game lagged so badly that I was completely turned of in 5 minutes and have never tried again. I have too much fun right now just playing COD4 and Rainbow 6 LV2 on normal level (off line) to be frustrated if there is an issue w/ Arny of 2 online again.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

true. Im getting rainbow soon anyway but it's a bit frustrating spending £45 on a mediocre solo game with bad online.

11. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

so is there any pc gamers with this here as i want to buy