Armour Building Complex

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mitch, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've been having a lot of fun with this recently, so I thought I'd mention it here.

I followed Dan John's Easy Strength for a chunk of this year, with great success, then decided to change things before I got bored, and to bring most of my workouts inside during the colder months instead of being in my unheated garage where my barbells are.

DJ has steered me well in the past, and I don't want to bring my barbells inside for space/floor damage/preserving my marriage reasons, so I've been trying another programme of his, this time using kettlebells.

The Armour Building Complex is simple: 2 double kettlebell cleans, 1 double overhead press, 3 double kettlebell squats. You do those exercises without stopping, then put the kettlebells down. You do this as an EMOM, every minute, on the minute.

So, I downloaded a free HIIT app on my phone, and set it for between 15 and 30 minutes, depending on how hard I want to work. It shouts at me every minute and I do the complex. Pavlov would be proud :D

Like all the good EMOM workouts, it's subtly cumulative; my heart rate goes up a bit at each minute, then drops almost as much. Then it goes up some more, then drops almost as much. By the end I'm working, without dying.

I'm only using 2 x 16kg kettlebells, because that's what I've got. I should really be using 2 x 20 or 24kg, but I only have 1 20kg. I may get myself another 20kg as a Christmas present :D

Anyway, it's a fun, brain out, quick and easy workout to get in even if time is tight.

If anyone does try it please let me know how you get on :)

hewho, Nachi and Travess like this.
  2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sounds like a cool exercise. I think I tried something similar with a barbell before. Bear complex, I think. But just in one training, not regularly. But I did like the exercise.

I am also starting to work with kettlebells. I've just tried a trial class at a (mostly) kettlebell gym last Sunday and I am going for my second today. I do like kettlebells, they seem to have an interesting program and I want to get stronger and improve mobility. And probably the biggest reason is that I was looking for some training to do in the weekend.

I might try my kettlebell at home, too, sometime. I have been neglecting the poor thing lately. I also have 16 kg, but only one. I guess one is good enough for me and the weight is ok for most exercises I was doing.

Let us know how your training goes, and if you find any other nice kettlebell exercises, I am all ears :)

Mitch likes this.