Ariel techniques and their practicality

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by |-KINJO-|, Nov 8, 2003.

1. |-KINJO-|

|-KINJO-| Valued Member

Many of us may wonder about what exactly is the use of fancy ariel techniques in real full-contact fighting. Is it really practical and effective???
    Well, my opinion the effectiveness of the technique depends on the applicant. You do it right, it works. But one should see what that technique is meant to be for. If you've been kicking air to break boards...Erm, thy head's no board....
    Is it practical? That vary in the thoughts of all of us. If I think it can work and I see great possibility in its effectiveness, it is pactical to use it in combat.
    However, my greatest reason for supporting ariel techniques in combat is merely because, its all about fighting and feeling good. Imagine, knocking out a person with a jumping spinning heel kick, than a hook punch. Of course you'll feel good doing the fancy one, because you're able to display exeptional proficiency than conventional skill.
    So, if you're just training in ariel skills and merely doing it for exhibition purposes without being able to know how to make it effective in real combat, then just stick in the spot light and jump your way out when a thug gets you. After all, its your choice of purpose to train in the martial art: for fame or for life?
    What are your views?

2. xubis

xubis New Member

I am sure there are other threads on this

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

I think the issue with fancy stuff in a fight is all about calculated risks, the more fancy a technique is the more the associated risk.

As for feeling good by knocking someone out with a fancy kick as opposed to a punch, i think you need to look at your reason for training. Knocking someone out in fight should never be an issue of pride, its about survival.

You should never feel good after a fight, you should only feel grateful for coming out alive.

4. Disaster Master

Disaster Master New Member

Re: Ariel techniques and their practicality

I'm sure there is a limit as you aproach zero.

5. Adam

Adam New Member

I can't make aerial techniques work very well for me as I'm very rooted in the ground when fighting. Doesn't mean there aren't anybody who can though.

6. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

Re: Ariel techniques and their practicality

I'm sure there is a limit as you aproach zero.

--------

i assume you can make this statement because you are familiar with all different forms of aerial techniques.

you are of course speaking from your long history and deep understanding of all marital arts and all situations where they might come up.

7. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Well, in Jujitsu if we want to kick someone in the head we put their head on the ground..:D

But, two pos. points that come to mind on high fancy kicks:

They are great training aids. If you can spin on one foot and kick high w/ power then all the more practical mid and low range kicks and sweeps are cake due to your increased range of flex and balance.

Also, you can gain some physiological points w/ high kicks. If my opponent demonstrates that they can kick me in the head w/ power and speed, then that is an additional weapon and fighting range that I have to guard against.

8. xubis

xubis New Member

Good post, left me thinking on a few things. As for ariel kicks, I have never used them in a fight, I think they take to long to execute and give a larger margin of reaction time for your opponent to react. On the other hand, it may confuse some untrained opponents