Argentine Ants Invade Melbourne and the rest of Oz..

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by SoKKlab, Aug 13, 2004.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/st...f/story/0002/20040812/0827010489.htm&sc=reodd

Okay Long URL I know, but it's not as long as the 60 Mile Argentine Ant Colony underneath Melbourne, Australia!

OMG I think they've eaten Jim! (anybody seen him?)
    The really scary bit, is that they are co-operating....

Story Follows:

The Ants Are Coming!

MELBOURNE- Like some "B-grade" horror movie, a giant colony of Argentine ants stretching 60 miles has been discovered in the Australian city of Melbourne, threatening the local insect population.

Argentine ants may look like any ordinary household ant, but they are aggressive and are regarded as one of the world's 100 worst animal invaders, displacing native plants and animals, according to Monash University scientist Elissa Suhr.

"In Argentina ant colonies...are highly aggressive toward one another," said Suhr, who has studied the giant Argentine ant colony.

"Population numbers (in Argentina) never explode and they are no threat to other plants and animals," Suhr said in a statement received on Thursday.

"In Melbourne, their genetic make-up and behavior is really different. Here, Argentine ants no longer fight and have formed a supercolony extending at least 100 kilometers across the city."

Argentine ants have been discovered across Australia.

Suhr said the ants had genetically changed during their voyage from Argentina and that had in turn changed their behavior, which now threatened local plants and insects.

"Two Argentine ants (in Australia) from quite different locations won't be aggressive toward one another and so they will work together to combat other native ants and that's the method that they use to invade," Suhr told local radio.

"They certainly affect the biodiversity, and the way that they do this is by displacing the native Australian ants and taking over by preying on the insects that native ants prey on."

2. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Holy #%&* Poor Australian ants[​IMG]

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Lure 'em into the sea with some Corned Beef - they love that them Argies :p

4. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Borg Ants! Resistance Is Futile.

5. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Trent the g33k?
    And I thought you were so cool Trent!
    *holds head in hands* :D

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

A little job for Ant Eaters I think. :D

7. Jim

Jim New Member

This is what's left of Jim.

I won't be here much longer.

I have Echidna's posted at all doors and windows and a can of Baygon in each hand.

The last stand of Jim.

Goodbye all. I ain't going out like dat... :woo:

8. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

For God's sake Jim, get out now! Judo won't save you against the Antpocalypse, no matter how good your Groundwork!!