Aren't I Jealous?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Light123, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Hello, all! I'm a jealous "disabled" person seeking some lessons. I am SO jealous of all you able-bodied martial artists, whom look so col doing their katas, or whatever. :D I am ready to discover my potential and maybe blow some people away with it. :D (Sorry, I have a habit of being goofy.) I haven't studied any martial arts yet.

I suppose I could tell you a bit about myself and see if you have any ideas?

Well, I am physically disabled using a walker to get around. I don't like sitting in wheelchairs. I am deaf and kind of blind, but not completely. I don't like the fact that if I use a cane I fall down. So if I want to wrestle, I'm down on my knees. If I want to use a weapon, I lean on something, like a fence post, a pole, a wall, etc. (If only they had thingies drilled in the floor...) I had a sudden hunger to learn to wield a bo staff/nunchakus which is how I came to MAP. But in Indiana where I come from, I don't know where to look.

So, I've said.

2. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

The word I'm thinking of which probably better describes you starts with S.

3. Light123

Smartelec? Stupid? Whatever the word, there are plenty of adverbs that start with an S to describe me. I don't know yours, but my S stands for Short. :D

Anyway, I am Desperate to learn.

4. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Then go to your local martial arts club. Thats your first step anyways. The first step is always the hardest. Look for a club that is willing to take on disabled people (In other words a good club)

Try looking for a striking art, like boxing. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  5. Light123

That's what I'm doing. Thing is, I don't know where to find the clubs. Especially when the internet doesn't give me enough info.

I was thinking maybe I could do bujinkan and learn weapons?

6. Clay Johnson

Clay Johnson Valued Member

Hi you might like to try the Filipino Martial Arts. I'm disabled with CP and have been doing martial arts since 1983. I started the FMA in 1989 I train and teach from my wheelchair but I do walk on crutches. The FMA is great because it teaches weapon skills along with hand and foot skill together. Most people think FMA is only a stick art but any weapon can be used from a stick, knife, blade (long or short) a bo staff a cane to a rolled up newspaper. You have said you don't used a wheelchair. I think the Filipino Martial Arts might just the art for you. Best of Luck!

www.inosanto.com/mawd/

Attached Files:

7. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Tai Chi, I know two people who practice it and are excellent, one missing a leg and the other an arm.

Basically any style will do though, you just have to learn how to make it work for you and hopefully the instructor will be able to help with that.

I know nothing about locales in Indiana, but the Ng Family school is one I would highly suggest in checking out.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Here are some schools in Terra Haute:

This one even has JKD methods and stick training.

http://www.jackmcvicker.com/academy.html

There is mention of a "serrada" school/group in Tarra Haute, which is Kali (stick fighting/other weapons)

IN, Terra Haute *Valley Martial Arts *Guru Mike Snow
    Regional Director Active - in Philippines

http://kalisilat.com/gallery.html

It's probably a closed group, so you'll have to do some legwork to find it, if it indeed exists.

Another resource that might help you:

http://www.hapkido.org/html/schools.shtml#TERRE

There are also some standard taekwondo black belt academies and stuff that I can't recommend with good concience without going there.

The above are the things that I would pursue were I n your place.

9. Light123

Isn't Taekwondo just a bunch ofnasty kicks anyway?

I wonder if I could try bujinkan?

10. Clay Johnson

Yes Taekwondo is about 75% kicking and 25% hands. I know because I teach it.

11. Light123

Then, it doesn't look like TKD is an option for me, huh?

12. Clay Johnson

I would say no TKD would not be the right art for you. But someone else here may tell you different.

13. Clay Johnson

I would say TKD would not be the right art for you but someone else may tell you different.

14. Light123

yeah, if there is anyone with experience.

I could flip over the front of my walker and try some Walker TKD :D

15. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Any art you want to do is the right art for you, we have a student who has severe MS, is bound to a wheel chair and has difficulty using his limbs, but he still makes do and does very well, he's the last guy in a wheel chair I'd ever want to mess with.

So choose the art you wish to do, whether that be Bujinkan or TKD or FMA and do it, you'll have to adjust some but the will is a powerful thing, I have no doubt you can do whatever you wish.

16. Light123

I agree. There probably aren't any "can't"s in this world. But yeah, some instructors just aren't prepared or don't have the "will".

17. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

If you want to do Taekwon-do, do ITF,

WTF uses less hands, ITF are about 60/40 on kicks.

18. Light123

What does that stand for?

19. Clay Johnson

ITF stands for "International Tae Kwon Do Federation" and WTF stands for "World Tae Kwon Do Federation" I'm pretty sure. Best of Luck with what ever art you pick.

20. Light123

Yep, I've got a pretty long list now, thanks to allv of you :D Browsing and browsing...

I've never ever heard of ITF.