Are you forced to learn all the weapons if you don't to?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Vinny Lugo, Dec 13, 2016.

1. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

On a complete side note, this is Philip Ng's school! The same Philip Ng who plays Bruce Lee in that recent film, and appeared in multiple episodes of Kung Fu Quest! :eek:

2. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Yes he is famous

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

My instructor always encouraged me to ask questions. Every session I teach I ask each individual student if they have any martial arts related questions.

I have never met a good instructor who does not like questions. So long as they dont start with the words "Bruce lee ...."

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Re learning weapons

My grandfather teacher felt that most weapons hand lost their relevance in the modern world and opportunities to spar in weapons competitions were a thing of the past. My teacher had to beg my grandfather teacher to show him the weapons. In practice I find that learning the staff has taught me as much about how to generate power as all the pad and bag work I have done.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

And I thought only I need a "sarcasm-sign" ;)

6. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

The instructor didnt start with Bruce Lee and you could ask them questions

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Then why didn't you do it?

8. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Because I got too busy asking the wc instructor things. I am thinking I should go again and check out the clf program

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Oh, I agree.Someone using terminology which doesn't fit their field would make for greater scrutiny by myself.

But I find w/weaponry that oftimes the more common heard name is the one used. While there are various names for them,all the FMA folks I know personally commonly use the word "nunchaku" for that weapon,a word which is neither Spanish nor any Philippine dialect.

"Naginata" doth seem very odd,howe'er.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I know that my school does a bit of this within Chinese names.

What I mean is that the English translation of Butterfly knives is used most often at my school. Because that is what most people know them as. But they do also teach us that they are actually called something else in CLF. And, to my shame, I can't even remember what that is. (Edit: I think it is bamboo leaf knives.)

Same thing with the "bow stance." We call it that, because most other Chinese MA's do, but in CLF it is actually called a wedge stance. They mention this once in awhile, but most of the time we call it that.

But they do at least stick within the main culture of the the traditional art.

Again, it would not make or break my training somewhere. As you say, it would just be a possible warning sign that would make me look closer to see what was up with that.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  11. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

One thing that I have always had difficulty with is the complexity of the chinese naming systems. Some name intricately describing the position of the hand, arm, body or whatever and other don't bother with this at all.

Then you throw into the mix which dialect , even if mandarin, the lineage speaks as that changes things. Furthermore, if your lineage speaks a different language/patois then things get named again differently. Some would consider all of this important. Others would be more worried about whether the students could fight.

I am not too bothered but yes, I would prefer that the Chinese name. or the English quivalent be used (eg Pu Dao = Horse cutter). Oddly enough I have seen the Pu Dao called a Chinese naginata although physically it bears little resemblance to the Japanese weapon (other than both are types of blades at the end of a pole).

LFD

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

But wait, there's more!

Then you get into distinctions like concept vs movement and things get even more hairy. For instance bong sao is bong sao and is done the three ways it is seen in the forms, but mun sao is not a specific hand form and can be expressed in a multitude of different ways which look nothing like what is seen in the form because it's a concept label, just like gum sao which requires you to pin using the palm but doesn't care at all about the orientation, nor the movement required to get there.

Trying to name too many things in too many different ways ends up in even instructors missing how to interpret the labels. It's not a great way of organizing things.

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yang,Cheng-fu's last disciple,T'seng,Chu-p'ai, wrote in one of his books of the dialect shortcomings in the translation of names of things in T'ai Chi,such as "Grasp Bird's Tail",which was due to technical names for the sequence in one dialect sounding like that term in another dialect.Losing technical meanings can undermine one's understanding and hence pugilistic prowess.

One of my teachers (from Beijing) kept saying I really should learn Chinese- meaning Mandarin.I kept telling her almost all my other Chinese friends and teachers spoke Cantonese. Not counting their own dialects,of course.

15. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

I find the language of martial arts to be a fascinating topic. The use of jargon and terminology and how closely that is tied to the "identity" of an art or school is one aspect. I've found the Chinese martial arts to be particularly interesting in that respect.

In my experience Japanese and Korean martial arts schools I have been involved with have placed much emphasis on teaching jargon to the students; in some cases gradings have even contained mini language tests of sorts.

That said, certain terms were usually translated (allegedly for the benefit of beginners) and certain translations have become commonplace.

However, wherever I have practiced Chinese martial arts, there has tended to be much less emphasis on Chinese language jargon, though simultaneously I have always encountered "senior" practitioners who pride themselves on knowledge of "traditional" terminology. In place of Chinese language jargon English translations typically get used with little trouble, and often these include terms which have been picked up from the Karate/TKD worlds. So when I hear a terms like "cat stance" or "reverse punch" used in a kung fu class, I am really not bothered. By contrast, when I used to study Karate I used to find it funny how often the instructor would make a point of translating terms like "cat stance" when used into the usual badly-pronounced Japanese jargon.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Pudao/shuangshoudao/dadao are such non specific terms that it's difficult to say anything meaningful. As we discussed in the butterfly knives thread there is some tendency with modern training weapons to have very broad blades yet historical weapons display a range of blades which were on average narrower than modern training weapons and often simply like sabre blades.
    This pudao for example could quite comfortably be described as a Chinese naginata
    [​IMG]

17. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I thought the Pu Dao is not at all like the naginata, but more like the bisentoh.

Though I remember it being said the bisentoh came from the kwan dao, but maybe these are similar?

Edit: Looking at a few examples on the web some look like nagamaki.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  18. gapjumper

Ah, so the terminology is very flexible?

19. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

This is also quite off topic, but I met a group of kung-fu guys, their style being a type of shaolin kung fu. I liked the dragon tatoo their instructor had and I wanted to see it, so I striked a conversation :D
    I learned their style originated from kung-fu, but was generally a mix of more styles. I was very surprised they used japanese terminology (like zenkutsu dachi, shiko dachi, tsuki,....). I was told the reason being that the japanese names are more convenient as many people are more familiar with those and they also are clearer...

20. gapjumper

Or they were really teaching a Japanese art and calling it Chinese for some reason?