Are Traditional Martial Arts Underestimated in MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by JJMicromegas, Feb 21, 2010.

1. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

that was Aaron Fields of Seattle. He post on the Judo forum sometimes. I was at that seminar in Austin. Probably met you.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

That's the guy from Seattle. I wasn't at that seminar myself but one of my students Pat (he just had knee surgery 2 days ago - injury during wrestling) also work out in that Sambo club (he used to work out in a Judo club here. He is a guy who loves all forms of wrestling arts).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Maybe the purpose for TMA is beyond health, fun, and combat as for some time it also had deception, myth, and exaggeration. As the purpose of MMA is entertainment, rule governed, latest fad.

This looks interesting. Where did you get this pic or page?

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's from my SC brother's book "Chinese SC Technique Category Analysis" (in Chinese only):

[​IMG]

5. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

That is too bad. I wish him a speedy recovery. Trying to recover from a neck injury myself. This stuff is not easy on the body. Sometimes i think I should really get into golf like everyone else. Less pain/rehab/medical bills! :)

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The neck injury could be worse. One of my guys got into neck injury and almost paralyzed his left side of body. After his recovery, he decided to stay away from MA training for the rest of his life.

7. 47MartialMan

Is that a public circulated medium?

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

No, it's my private copy.

9. 47MartialMan

A self published? Meaning for those within a specifc group?

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It was published in Taiwan. The main purpose for this book was to fullfill the author's college professor requirement (advance from advisory professor to full professor). In Taiwan all professor will be required to publish a book within a certain number of teaching years. It's just like professor in US will need to publish research papers in order to prove one's self education remaining progress during teaching time.

11. 47MartialMan

I guess what I am trying to state, is that, was it used to teach you (a training manual), or something you found to add to a personal book collection?

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's my personal book collection. The author and I shared the same SC teacher. The book was a gift to me (old Chinese custom that when you publish a book, you will sign and send to all your friends as gift). Many CMA books in Taiwan was published this way. You spend about $2,000 to print 1,000 copies. You give away or sell it until you run out all your copies. This kind of book is not available in any book stores.

13. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Wow, did you run out of purposes that serve your argument? Fad and "rule governed" aren't "purposes" at all. MMA is only for entertainment when it comes to the promoter and the fans. The people in the trenches are a different story entirely. That comment is pretty dismissive of them.

Really, to say that MMA isn't for fun, fitness, community, self-development, strategy, networking, sport and all these other things just goes to show who has a leg to stand on in this debate. You guys are taking your caricatured idea of what an MMA guy is and superimposing it on the real thing. And you know what? That caricature has plenty of signs in it. Saying something like "It's just for combat, TMA is for more than just fighting." when you really don't know (as evidenced by the fact that it's obviously wrong to anyone with the relevant experience) tends to make people think you're dismissing something you're intimidated by, or don't have the heart to deal with in a honest manner. That may not be true, but those are the tracks you're leaving.

14. 47MartialMan

Thanks. I now fully understand.

Fad is a purpose for many things.

Hey. I was generalizing upon the purposes of either. My posting never had a intention for a debate on what specific purpose anything has.

15. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Fad is a term used to describe something that has become popular enough that people do it to be "cool". Purpose is something's intended use.
    While there are people that do train MMA to be cool, that would mean MMA is a fad to whatever degree, not that that is its purpose. Somethings current condition and its intended use are not the same thing.
    The sentence "The purpose of MMA is latest fad." obviously doesn't fit together properly. I'm sure you were aware of this. The grammar itself isn't that big a deal. The big deal is that you were apparently so eager to tack the term "fad" onto MMA, you didn't even take the time to add it in a way that makes sense. Same for rule governed, but then you didn't really reply about that phrase.
    Basically, I'm talking about more tracks.
    EDIT:
    For note, the first paragraph in that first post was for you, but the second wasn't directed at you specifically.

16. 47MartialMan

Thanks for the lesson on sentence structure and word use. :rolleyes:

You are way too eager to take things written out of context. I was not too eager to label it or anything. Furthermore, my thought on what is the purpose of something does not convey into a absolute or closed rendering. A forum or medium such as, is within sentence structure, however, it is limited between a writer and reader upon different styles of communication.

Politely, in other words, from my neck of the woods, "sit back and take a chill pill". :)

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When TMA guys treat me as a MMA guy in TMA thread (I love cross training), and when MMA guys also treat me as a TMA guy in MMA thread (I love TMA training method), I know there won't be any quite place for me to live on this planet. :)

It's like the old Chinese saying said, "When a pig looks into a mirror, he is neither a human being inside the mirror nor a human being outside the mirror (he won't be accepted as a human being either in the real world or in the illusion world)."

18. 47MartialMan

Indeed. I was at odds with MMA and UFC per semantics. The whole labeling (as well as the "this vs that") can stimulate controversy.

TMA, CMA, MMA, JJ, BJJ, KMA, MT, TKD, TSD, KM, TCMA
    WC/WT/VT, KSW, IC/TCC/TJQ, MDK, CKF, AK, GKR, GRK, KK, A, JK, JKD,

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The MMA is not new idea. When The "Shuai Chiao" system had been evolved into "combat Shuai Chiao (Sanshou/Sanda)" back in the 70, the word MMA was not invented on this planet yet.

[​IMG]

20. 47MartialMan

Could it be said that any martial art is a MMA because each had spawn of others previously? The "words cross" training or "eclectic" comes to mind also.