Are there any religions based on logic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Aug 1, 2015.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I've unfortunately never gotten around to reading Pratchett, so i can neither confirm nor deny.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

God of the gaps is a poor theological argument and TBH only really has any meaning if you're a young earth creationist.

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

To debate the creation myth as it stands in Christianity is sacrilege though, at least according to the Gospel of Matthew.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Only if you interpret Matthew in a certain way. Certainly St Augustine didn't feel that way.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, it's quite an irony at how the more technology develops, the more theology moves from metaphor to fact.

8. Ben Gash CLF

To an extent that's because of the evolution of our relationship with the written word.

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Come now, you're selling the role confirmation bias plays rather short.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Confirmation of what though? Grammatical-historical interpretation is not the norm in Christianity and has only gained prominence relatively recently.

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I was alluding to how the more that scientific knowledge seems to grow, and ultimately contradict the biblical narrative as written, the greater the number of people subscribing to literalism seems to be, i probably should have used the term "backfire effect" though.

12. Ben Gash CLF

I don't know, I think that the internet has just made it easier for them to be heard.

13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It depends what your point of divergence is, are we talking about the time of St. Augustine, or are we talking about the advent of the internet, it's probably inarguable that the percentage of the population who takes the bible literally is smaller than it was at the beginning of the information age, but the viewpoint of it being a compendium of parables and metaphors seemed to be the consensus thought for most of history, so the question arises, at what point did literalism reach it's apex, and how do the current statistics relate to Christendom throughout history.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Literalism is really a school of thought that's associated from the American puritan churches, especially the brethren movement. These started to gain traction in the mid 19th century.

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

And there was me thinking the brethren didn't talk to anyone.

16. Ben Gash CLF

True Plymouth Brethren are insular, however 19th century America was a time of social pioneering and religion was no exception. Brethren offshoots were influential in the churches that would subsequently form.

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Hence we are where we are now, with a large number of folks in this modern age with access to all the literature to prove otherwise, and yet the unwavering conviction the holy book is a document of historical record, if only they kept to themselves in the first place.

18. Ben Gash CLF

But they've given us so much, literalism, end times theology, zionism...... :bang:

19. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I always took it as social commentary on the behavioural patterns of many individuals within certain faiths than a theological argument per se.

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If that is taken as true, just what does you god do?

Interfer with things on a statistically non valid scale?
    Only deal with the afterlife?

Just what is your God for?