Are there any mystories or do we know it all

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tai-gip, Oct 15, 2003.

1. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

is everything we know all there is or is there still things in life as yet unknown and undefined to all but a few ????

2. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

You probly know my answer Tai.:)

But, I don't beleave in mystories the way your using the word. To me there is the proven and the unproven and my day isn't long enough to work on the unproven.:)

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I won't make the classical physics mistake of saying that its almost all been explained. However I do doubt that ancient Chinese monks on mountains have puzzled out the ancient secrets of life.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Well - if there are things unknown - we wouldn't know now would we?

So who knowns?

I suspect there are many.

I also suspect that "Bunny" is correct in his assessment.

5. Chris J.

Chris J. Valued Member

Yes. ;)
    Defining in specific a thing that we do not know at once pre-supposes that we must first know of it in order to define it....Should I continue on this present logical course I might chase my tail, continually biting ever closer, until I explode (or implode) in a puff of smoke...

But seriously there are some things that we by nature can not ever know with any certainty. For instance, determining the exact position and state of a particle, lets say a hydrogen nucleus, involves bouncing light off of it and measuting the properties of that light; the problem is, once you bounce light off of it, it is more energetic and also flys off to parts unknown instantly. We find ourselves with information that was only good a moment ago but is no longer valid.

We can determine its exact place without knowing its energy level; or we can determine its energy without having any idea about its location.... we must choose, we can not know both. This is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

So, yes, there are things that we do not, and can not possibly, know.

-Chris J.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

And the mathematician has to bring up Godel's Incompleteness Theorem: An axiomatic system is either incomplete, or inconsistent. Take your pick.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

of course there are things we don't know- science is full of them, that's the whole point. But you are obviously referring to bizarre myths such as chi, punching faster than your own shadow and the tooth fairy. Fictions, might I add, that you all-too-painfully-obviously use to bolster your self esteem. Grow up.

8. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

night id imagine the fact that i havnt brought up any of the issues you just mentioned for some time might punch holes in your contention but please continue

9. Chris J.

Chris J. Valued Member

If a tree fell in the forest and nobody was there, would it still make a noise?

Stupid question. Obviously, based on past experience and measurement, it would.

There are things we do not know, naturally many of them are hidden from us until we stumble on them. Yes, some of them may already be known to other people, while others might be truly original thinking. What is your point?

I suggest that you evaluate all new things based on your past experiences and fit each neatly into your logical framework prior to believing them. If it does not fit, first do not believe it, second, seek more information until you are certain there is none to find.

-Chris J.

10. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

[Tai-gip]"night id imagine the fact that i havnt brought up any of the issues you just mentioned for some time..."

Now Tia, thats not entirely true. The "....unknown and undefined to all but a few ????".... is a statement that you have made in the past in connection to the subjects KE has brought up.;)

I can see where it might be a little confusing as to where you are trying to go w/ this thread. :)

11. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

cal its prety simple did i mention shadow chi or tooth fairy (and for your information he happens to work at the desk next to mine)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  12. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

The tooth fairy? Didn't know he worked behind a desk. :D

13. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Ummmm.... Okay Tia, if you say its simple, well its your thread. Perhaps we can get together on another topic, bye. :)

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

No, we don't know everything, if we did I'd be out of a job.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  15. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Yes, I do know everything, if I didn't I'd be out of a job.

16. teacher

teacher Valued Member

That was of course a joke dont even think about asking where you left the car keys.

17. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

My girlfriend knows everything...

18. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

The biggest mystery to me is why only around 0.2% of members donate to this great web site! Perhaps the 'make a donation' button on the front page is not obvious enough.

Hint hint, plug plug.

;)

As a Mathematician, Russells Paradox is equally puzzling : http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/russell-paradox/

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

My current bank balance: -273 quid
    My current credit card balance: 7231 quid
    My current existing student loan: 2790 quid
    My received student loan for this year: 0
    My current income: 0

I would love to donate, and if I ever clear all of my debts then I will.

20. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

That's a deal. Now, who's going to keep an eye on ckdstudent's bank balance for me? ;)