Are there any martial arts "ratings boards"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tooksomechin_na, Aug 26, 2017.

1. tooksomechin_na

tooksomechin_na Valued Member

That makes sure it is a good quality dojo/gym, and not a black belt factory/McDojo.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The problem is one man's meat is another man's poison.

Also unless you attend several classes you'll not get the full flavour of what they teach.

Years ago we had someone turn up to a technical Eskrima session.

He questioned why there was no cardio and no amount of explanation seemed to work.

We never saw him again and I'm sure he wouldn't have given a good review.

Ultimately if it suits your needs then that's all you should be concerned with.

axelb and pgsmith like this.
  3. tooksomechin_na

Well, they could definitely grade it by some criteria at least. Obviously, if you get a blackbelt in 6 months, that's not enough time to train you well. The dojo isn't good.

Say, a few criteria. Good variety of techniques that actually works well. Has striking and grappling techniques, submissions and breaks. How about that they will actually measure with a radar gun the speed of your strikes. And, has sparring- to name a few things I think every good school should have.

4. Simon

Nigel Benn became champion of the world and didn't like a lot of sparring.

Speed isn't always a good indicator either.

Many hide a lack of power of technique behind great speed.

gapjumper likes this.
  5. tooksomechin_na

It's definitely harder to block a faster strike than the same one that's slow, isn't it? Plus, it hits with more force, F=MA.

6. Simon

Obviously if it gets there first, but there are different types of speed.

1. Perceptual speed-quickness of the eye to see opportunities.
    2. Mental speed-quickness of mind to decide what to do.
    3. Initiation speed-quickness to attain the correct posture to hit.
    4. Performance speed-quickness of the body to deliver the technique.
    5. Alteration speed-quickness in changing direction and technique.

Your technique may leave first, but arrive last if the other person has good perception speed.

Floyd Mayweather will demonstrate this tonight.

He has faced faster, stronger opponents and dealt with all of them.

TwirlinMerlin likes this.
  7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Don't get me wrong, but why bother asking if you know everything already?

If your primegoal is to be fast, than go look for a school, where they pay most attention on how fast and/ or hard they punch.

If you want a school that makes people learn how to punch properly, that might be a bit more difficult.

Also: Only if people might strike fast, that doesn't prove anything.
    For example: What good would your radar-gun do in the end?
    So, they use it.
    And suddenly half the people don't punch fast enough for your liking.
    So what?
    They might be great on the ground.
    Or kick incredible.
    Might know how to position themselves to still be good enough.
    Or are better teachers then fighters.
    Or...

Personally, I started it differently anyway, because as a beginner you can't say what would work or wouldn't anyway and a beginner will take something out of a McDojo as well.

I looked primarily where I liked the people (instructors and students), so I would be more likely keep going there.
    After going for a while, I learned the mind-set of the people; for example I learned fast the none of my teachers (current and former ones) equate "ability" with "belts".
    Only because someone has a higher belt, (s)he doesn't have to be good, it only means (s)he could show the right things on a certain day.
    And lower belts don't have be "bad".

After a while and with attending seminars you might also see differences on how your club trains and other do.
    And after a while more and more different examples you might be able to see, what seems to work or doesn't.
    But that doesn't come from now and then.

I never did that, to be honest, but some people also advise to look at the students and how well they do for their grades.
    But again, I never did that.
    I just don't put enough weight belts for that kind of comparison.

8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

What's the point? Just decide what you want and look for that.

The ma world is to nebulous and subjective to be blanket policed externally. It's up to the community itself to do that.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. tooksomechin_na

who said I knew everything already? Just ones I'd like to see in a school. I never quite understand that strawman attack "You think you know everything!" No, of course I don't. It seems more of an exagerration that the person is arrogant, which seems more realistic.

10. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

If its not a mc dojo and one which trains you in every relivent aspect to fighting, all of thema re equal and somone could take basically any and make it work. I mean kungfu would work, karate would work, TKD would work, Tai chi wont work unless its more kung fu. they are all born equal and if you get somone who trains it right, it would eb on the absis of person rather than art. Also, people tend to go for ones that suit their methodolgy better anyway, like if you are fine with kicking you would do TKD or Karate or kick boxing, if you like grappling and not so much striking juijitsui etc. If you do a striking based one obviosuly you woudl suck at ground fighting only and vice versa.

As for the black belt, you get it when you get it. I get the feeling soemtimes they elevate sports people to black belt quicker so they can compete in things which mandate a black belt. But for all purpsoes if you can consitenlty put up a fight aginst said clubs black belts it could be argued you should get one same if you can do the forms well. Dislike how thats where true martial arts training comes into place for some and where you learn the useful things but hey ho.

I like to consdier myself a blackbelt in "freestyle". The only circulum is kick to the testicals and run. XP Another side note, i adore kung fu conditioning and forms and its a shame i dont have a palce i can easily go to for it.

11. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Because i cant edit, another note: There are only so many ways you can manipulate your body and your opponents body. So at the end result there is goign to be some similarities. Perfectly sound for another culture to have a system which looks the same to anothers and it be devoloped seprately with no influence.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Only one metric needed; Does the gym deliver what it says? then it is valid

Sport = successful at sport with regularly competing students
    Fitness = successful at fitness with a list of clients
    Self-Defense = an instructor with a pedigree and background that can teach you the nuances, complexities and aspects of same...should involve legal, moral and physical aspects, attack ritual, HAOV and include scenario based learning
    Cultural preservation = represents a specific art, school or ryu and its transmission

Everything else is simply peripheral details

Dan93, axelb, Vince Millett and 3 others like this.
  13. Hannibal

Doesn't have to be about fighting at all

Don;t understimate good taiji...it has made a big difference to my own training

True, although some styles have a much better track record in their given spheres than others - it's the training methodology that counts

Most people have zip all ability when they start unless they have prior training, so this is not really the case. Equally most people have no clue what they are doing they just like an "idea" of kicking, punching or grappling...typically based on a sport, film or misconception. People ask for what they think they WANT rather than what they actually NEED

A black belt is a measure of proficiency within a system - nothing more, nothing less. Some systems have different aims so not all are direct equivalents (see my above post)

Freestyle is actually a style you know - coined by Alfie Lewis in the early 80's.....so no, you aren't

Then it is woefully inadequate

"If you really want to you find a way; if not you find an excuse"

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Well, you asked something.
    Someone proficient answered.
    You came with "Yes, but..." sort of answer.
    So, that's basically what I meant.

But awesome how much attention you paid to the rest of my post.
    No time wasted at all.

One of the favorite quotes of my main-teacher, though slightly(!) different.
    Every time he threw that at me I actually learned, tried or changed something, and got better in the long run.
    By now it's one of my favorite quotes well.

Hannibal likes this.
  15. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Then it would be questionable as to why it would be a martial art or called it if it doesnt cover fiighting and you might as well do Yoga or something similar or some other sport/recreational activity.

I didnt think combat tai chi was very good by itself? I know it has its place and works to train muscles and technique for some things.

Who can claim "freestyle"? By its defintion its eveything which doesnt match another prestanding system or art. There is true freestyle and not so true freestyle. Does the same apply to a freestyle kickboxing i saw? :p i was refering to true freestyle, so what everyone does irrelivent if its good or bad, they do their own thing.

I feel like i should have put that point in as well or forgot to. Or amybe didnt elborate that last point somewhere.

Oh also, whats HAVOC? I dont know the acronym and am semi struggling to find it on google.

16. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Excuse the spelling. Just thoguth about it and to address the last point and that quote, that works on the premise you have the ability to travel to said places. I am quite limited in that regard or else i would be dabbling into some of the things i want to do. I would have edited it in but decided after the edit timer was gone to do it, sorry. I kind of ironically need martial arts training to confidently go to and do martial arts training.

17. Hannibal

Kendo, Iaido, Kyudo, Fencing etc....

Most people - martial artists included - have no idea about combat anyway. At least with a "sport" there is an inherent metric and purpose. Most claiming they are "self defense" actually aren't

If you don't know, don't guess - I have splashed hands with high level taiji players and they can definitely "go"

Alfie Lewis can - no one used the term before him

This type of approach is why the martial arts has so much crap in it - you aren't good enough to "do your own thing" and call it a style so don't

www.calgaryjkd.com

18. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Will be sure to eye up the Tai chi teacher when i go to look at it.

I seriously need to give that JKD a go.

19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Then actually *do* and stop just talking about it.
    It's that easy.

Dan93 and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Little do you know i am compsing a message to simon as you read this. XP

Also to bring this back on topic, can we make a scale for martial arts and call it soemthign witty like the "ouch meter" or "calories to bones broken"?