Are MMA "fighters" actually fighters?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by TaeKwonDavid, Feb 3, 2009.

1. BakbakanFighter

BakbakanFighter Valued Member

I will 3rd that one!

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

*Bunny smilie*

3. snoog

snoog Valued Member

hmmmm. okay david. you're judge from a distance and not truly seeing what mma truly is. mma is a combination of fighting styles hence( MIXED martial arts). anyone from any style with proper training and a prepare mindset can understand that anything can be use anywhere. ring fighting have rules so what seems repeative to you is set in rules sure one fighter could head butt or bite someone when they got someone pinned but its not legal in the ring. and yes grappling isn't much use one on two thru four but is that common sense to do that? and i like to see you try to punch someone out when they have you tie to the ground one on one. their are plenty of moves in mma that you don't see in the ring because those move is for protecting you and is a foul in the ring. i'm not bashing you for your opinon just don't judge it til you try it and afterward you still fell the same way then more power to you.

4. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

I like how they came back and, instead of responding to any posts that proved the opposite, just started getting all mad!! It was great!!

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Part of me thinks we should take that as a good sign. After all, nonresponse perhaps means the OP doesn't actually have any well-structured counter arguments.

Not terribly satisfying though.

Stuart

6. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

This thread is one of the tastiest textual delicatessens I've had in quite some time. ;)

7. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I like being contraversial but right :)

8. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Indeed. I was really starting to enjoy the debate we had going in this thread. Since the OP seems to be active in other threads on the site, I guess we just have to assume that he's either run out of things to say or just simply lost interest in this discussion.

As you said, not completely satisfying.

9. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Doot do doot doo i'm just going to waltz in and spray textual diarrhea all over this style i know nothing about.

oh no people are criticising me how is this possible.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  10. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I know that I’m pretty late on this, but this isn’t a real post. Right?
    Tell me that this is a troll job? I have trouble believing that people really are this out of touch with things today.

Wait, I just thought about it.
    Mmmn, nevermind.

11. snake_plisskin

snake_plisskin Valued Member

It has to be a troll. It just has to be. Anyway, I read, yes, the entire thread, and I feel the need to respond to TaeKwonDavid and his ilk. Although I routinely (or not so much) post in the ninjutsu forum, I have ample experience training with MMA men (and women!) at East Stroudsburg (PA) University in the FIT-113: Self-Defense program.

First of all, although the phrase was clearly said as humor on the first or second page, "I wouldn't want to meet any of them in a dark alley", I have to say, were I ever in a "dark alley", barring any bad blood between me and that person, I'd be relieved to know a MMA guy (or woman) had my back if trouble came along. The MMA guys I've trained with have been, to a man, the most courteous, respectful, and good-humored guys I could have the honor of training with, and their skill both standing and on the ground is very respectable. Operative word: "standing".

Sure, there have been those who "rubbed me the wrong way", or whatever, but that's just human dynamics and interaction. You can't get along with everybody.

However, whenever I've had MMA off to the side training , they often will help share their expertise with my self-defense students who are willing to stay after class. The ESU MMA guys quietly and respectfully observe and help offer critiques for additional training of the students in the class. None of what I've seen appears impractical. But then again, I'm not some high belt ranked person with 25 years experience in a school, so perhaps I am not qualified to speak :eek:. But, oh well, I'll speak anyway....

For instance, this past Thursday, my self-defense students (who only met five classes before) did short demonstrations with ground fighting "basics" as part of their repertoire. The MMA guys who observed were very encouraging, clapped politely after each halting demo, and offered positive reinforcement to even the most shy of students. Amazingly, none of them offered advice on "slapping" anyone, and didn't seem to offer up, "Just take 'em to the ground and pin 'em" as advice. :confused:

Additionally, when I've trained with MMA guys after-hours, I've often had the "pleasure" of being tapped out, choked out, or locked/barred by MMA guys I've rolled with (yes, full-on, resisting partner training in ninjutsu here).

Why would I say "the pleasure of being tapped out"? Because these guys have always been nothing short of professional in their conduct. They have actually taken the time to discuss with me and analyze what I did incorrectly (i.e. flat-out WRONG) that forced me to tap out. That is, they wanted to share their knowledge and actually help me improve. I saw no "single mindedness" there whatsoever--just a willingness to examine techniques, try new ones out, and share what they knew with me so make us all well-rounded martial artists.

When I've tapped out the individuals I've rolled with, they've also gone over how that came to be, and been very complimentary yet pragmatic--providing lots of positive reinforcement, but also critiques of what could have gone wrong as well, had I not "pulled a rabbit out of my hat". Always analyzing, always thinking critically, always trying to see things from a new angle. What can be wrong with that?

The OP (who apparently soured of the replies here) stated, "very little in the MMA repetoire [sic] that has the potential for a knockout blow." Really?

To whit: My best friend has used ninjutsu experience, to knock two separate men out, one on an actual, paved, Pennsylvania street, the other in an apartment after his female friend's ex-boyfriend showed up and punched her in the mouth.

His "very little in the MMA repeRtoire" techniques knocked two fully resisting, violent, "fists up" people down. The first was left on all fours, spewing blood and mucous from his broken nose and vomiting with the "Dry heaves" right there on that paved Pennsylvania street; the other had the pleasure of feeling his facial piercings torn out and being sprawled on the hallway carpet bleeding from his mouth and nose.

What did he use in each case? A few of those "very little MMA" techniques he learned in "ninjutsu" [technically, Bujinkan budo, but I say "ninjutsu" because that's the subforum's name]--forearm strikes followed by elbow strikes, shoulder slams, knees, and stomp kicks to the torso and legs. Last time I checked, knees, forearms, elbow, and possibly shoulder strikes were part of the "MMA repertoire". How are they "not effective"?

Heck, I've taken full-force elbow shots to my jaw hinge from fully-resisting training partners, that made my eyeballs black out, my knees buckle, and made me want to almost puke instantly from the blow. Jaw was throbbing for a week! Not a knockout blow? I may have still been standing, but that was because I was too stunned to fall. And this from a goodhearted buyu (martial arts friend)! I can only imagine what all those "non-self-defense MMA guys" could do to me.

Admittedly, my experience is clearly biased by those students I've met in my class, and who train alongside my classes at school, and I'm sure there are those who are not as professional as the students I describe. But please, before you lambast or ask clearly inflammatory questions that are "loaded" ("So, why do you deny beating your wife and stealing candy from babies?"), please, actually do some thinking of your own, attend an MMA gym, and thenmake a decision for yourself.

Cheers,

SP

12. Omicron

Omicron is around.

*applause*

13. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

14. Balkri

Balkri Valued Member

I'd LOVE to see how a tkd practitioner deals with an A-Squad rugby player tackling them...

Mmmmmmm axe kick....

15. snake_plisskin

snake_plisskin Valued Member

Omicron, Shen Yin: thanks for the props.

And yeah, Balkri, one of my very best friends played rugby for Florida Atlantic University. As told to me nearly ten years ago, when he was caught in the middle of a melee/riot outside a dance club back in the mid-nineties, he told me his rugby training literally helped save his, and his then-fiance's life, as it'd toughened him up enough to simply repeat in his brain, "Think rugby, think rugby, think rugby" as the they were caught amidst an angry/out of control mob beating, kicking, and shoving them. Dara (his fiance) wasn't the "go out of control" type, either, didn't panic, and they both managed to get out hurt, but not injured seriously.

10% physical...90% mental, is how he put it, that got him through it. I don't know if TKD training would have put him in the same mindset, as he described the crowd around them as pretty much being a kind of panicked night club's worth of people close-in, with no space to really move as hands came out of nowhere to just punch them and legs kicked them and people threw bottles at each other. The range was, as he described, maybe four inches between each person, bodies shoving against bodies, etc. and more than a few "chest to chest" encounters.

Purely an apocryphal story to take with a "grain of salt" (Ted was known for his "tall tales"; they were all seasoned, however, with truth, far as we could tell), so make of it what you will.

I just don't see TKD as being any aid whatsoever in such a situation, unless it's augmented by ground work training (e.g. working on people who are literally chest-to-chest). But then again, whadda I know? I'm not a TKD blackbelt or anything :confused:.

Cheers,

Snake

16. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

In the situation discribed, i think rugby would be better for you than around 99% of martial arts :)

Props on your first post though, excellent :cool:

17. Omicron

Omicron is around.

So did we seriously scare the OP away from this thread??? According to his profile he's been online and active, but he seems to be declining to post anything further here.

Oh well. I guess that settles the argument then.

18. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

It was probably a shock for him to find out that MMA guys can read and write.

19. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Read book, good training. Low sloping forehead make hard to see squiggly lines on paper. Make head hurt. Me win by ground and pound. :D