Are MMA "fighters" actually fighters?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by TaeKwonDavid, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Omicron

Omicron is around.

It depends on some things more than others, though, like the methods you use to train for self-defense in the first place. MMA generally places a lot of emphasis on training with fully resisting opponents who are trying their best to put you in a world of hurt. Admit it or not, this is the most realistic way to train for real world self defense. Sure, you have to leave out certain techniques, but it lets you practice the ones you DO use fully and with 100% resistance from your opponent.

That's why MMA produces superior fighters, superior athletes, and superior self-defense.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There are of course situations where taking a fight to the ground is a very bad idea!

Indeed. And in those situations I ALWAYS agree with my opponent beforehand that they won't try and put me on the floor and/or if I slip or fall over they will let me stand up before continuing.
    That's how fighting works right? :)

Kusa...fantastic post. It's great how holding up a mirror to people's views really shows how stupid they are.

I love it when TMA people criticise MMA as a competition format. TMA practitioners had DECADES before MMA to formalise rules for safely testing fighting skills. And what did they come up with?
    WTF TKD. :bang:
    Semi-contact Point fighting. :rolleyes:
    Ippon Kumite. :confused:
    Tai chi push hands. :hat:

Well done. Really. Those are great formats. :cool:

3. Kokoro-Dave

Kokoro-Dave Valued Member

Ah c'mon! You're being selective. What about Kyokushin Kumite and Daido-Juku?

As for the original question. MMA is as close to a real fight as you can get. Sure for self defense training you'll need to train some specific stuff that you won't find in MMA but MMA will provide the best base possible, in terms of fitness, getting over the fear of being hit in the head, dealing with adrenaline, use of different ranges etc. I also believe that Kyokushin Kumite could be part of that training as you get to experience being hit hard with bare knuckles.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I do Shidokan were we fight using modified knockdown rules so I'm no stranger to knockdown. Isn't it ironic that I don't think I've ever seen a thread started by a Kyokushin fighter criticising MMA?
    My point was that trad people criticise MMA rule fighting without having a look in the mirror at the competiton formats their bods have come up with.

5. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

I didn't mean insulting to you, but to MMA, except that I ended up not meaning insulting anyway. What?

6. forever young

forever young Valued Member

This
    And This
    + 1,000,000

7. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Not a critisizm, just an observation: the OP hasn't so much as logged on since the first post was made.

8. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Jeez, sounds like a middle management meeting! Does that mean take out the biggest/ugliest/mouthiest one first?

9. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I did not think people like this existed still. TKDDavid are you for real.

MMA striking has taken the best from all striking arts given the ruleset it has for safety etc.

You have the same options as a boxer or kickboxer/thai boxer. The reason not all fights end in a standing KO is both fighters are looking not to get KO'd themselves and at times a floor based fight is a tactical move. Nobody have to my understanding been KO'd from a punch at the bottom so this if you have the dominant "top" position is a safe and smart move.

I think your instructor is perhaps not aware of the K1 events - watch this as its top world striking arts like Kickboxing, Karate, Thai and TKD + the others and this shows what works and what can be applied (whilst managing your own risk).

I would suggest with respect your instructor is somewhat clueless. Some people try difficult things in MMA events but often the come back to bite them - Genki Sudo (spelling) is a good one for unusual attacks as was Sakaraba but it is not normally done like this as its about risk management. Don't get injured if you don't need to and as its a sporting event (all be it real) the need to consider the next fight and longevity of their career.

Sorry your post just seems from your instructors views well WIDE of the mark.

10. Omicron

Omicron is around.

LOL I was thinking the same thing...

11. TaeKwonDavid

TaeKwonDavid Valued Member

Temporary lack of internet access. Damn, this thread has opened a can of worms

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Well, what did you expect!

13. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

To be fair you have gone into the MMA section and stated that MMA is ineffective - according to both you and your instructor.

How was this going to go well?:rolleyes:

Purely out of interest you state your instructor is a 6th Dan in 'Multi-Style Martial Arts', what are the styles in question and how long did he study them and what individual grades does he hold?

14. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I think my earlier post wraps it up pretty well to be honest.

15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Official Flame Form for MAP

==================================

Dear: TaeKwonDavid

[x] Clueless Newbie
    [ ] Loser
    [ ] Previously Banned Member
    [ ] Bruce Lee Wannabee
    [x] Troll
    [ ] Spammer
    [ ] 13 year old l337 d00d
    [ ] Flamer
    [x] Whiner
    [ ] Book Taught Loonie

You Are Being Flamed Because:

[ ] You posted a Style Vs Thread
    [ ] You posted a personal attack against a mod
    [x] You should have used the Search Feature
    [ ] You posted the Real Ultimate Power site again
    [ ] You posted a thread in Ninjitsu asking about smoke bombs/night training
    [ ] You posted a MMA Spoiler in Traditional Healing
    [ ] You posted a thread stating you can run up walls
    [ ] You posted a 'Jet Li vs. Bruce Lee vs. Austin Powers vs. Superman vs. Godzilla vs. Oprah vs. That homeless guy down the street' thread"
    [ ] You posted an OMG The Sky is Falling thread
    [ ] You ressurected a long dead, stupid thread
    [ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message
    [ ] You flamed someone and got burnt
    [ ] You posted a thread on Dux Ninjitsu
    [ ] You haven't read the stickies
    [ ] You asked why you can't get into the arcade on your first post
    [ ] You typed in text/leet speak
    [ ] You posted false information then refused to back it up.
    [ ] You posted a video/site we've all seen a thousand times before
    [ ] You posted wildly ridiculous claims, refused to back them up, and had a strop when we asked for proof.
    [x] You posted something so stupidly ridiculous I had to add a new category to this form just for you

In Punishment, You Must:

[ ] Take down all your Bruce Lee posters
    [ ] Stop posting and go to class 3 times a week
    [ ] Actually post something relevant
    [ ] Read the Damn FAQ
    [ ] Go to your room with no supper
    [ ] Apologize to everybody on this forum (execpt KnightCommander, who loves it!)
    [x] Stand in the Sin Bin and do kata till you die of boredom
    [ ] All of the above

In Closing, I'd Like to Say:

[ ] Learn to type using ALL the correct letters.
    [x Welcome to last week.
    [ ] Press Alt and F4.
    [ ] Can I have your stuff?
    [ ] Don't let the door hit you in the ass.
    [ ] All your base are belong to us. Go every Zig.
    [x] Stop posting STUPID crap.
    [ ] All of the above.

16. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

LMAO I forgot about that form :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  17. Glock 18

Glock 18 Bang

Yes, because TKD is so much more useful in a fight, amirite?

18. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Hooooooollllld your horses, guys! You come waltzing in to OUR forums telling US that OUR arts are ineffective and expect us to sit back and take it, yet when someone comes in here and does the same thing he gets flamed?!

I tell ya something, that'd never happen in karate! :p;):cool::rolleyes::star::eek::cry::love::yeleyes: (the more smileys I use, the more you realise I'm joking, yes?)

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It's cause all of us mma types are massive thugs :D

20. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

You quoted me, I'm a TKDer not an MMAer - I was just pointing out why David shouldn't have been surprised by his replies.

And I think you're wrong, there is no way one of the nice fluffy MMAers would ever go into one the the other sections and say "me and my instrutor think you're art is pants!" it just ain't gonna happen!:rolleyes::D

(Well, apart from that Panda woman of course - but she's a thug!)