Are Martial arts an "art"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Edgeorge, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Edgeorge

Edgeorge Valued Member

I define art as a way to express oneself aesthetically, which can obviously not be done by talking, for instance. Like music, poetry, film etc etc.

In this way, are martial arts really an "art"?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I see it as taking the skills & techniques and making them your own. Everyone being different

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

"Art" has multiple meanings. A quick google included definitions from "the creation of beautiful or significant things" to "a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation" (as in "the art of conversation"). Some but not all martial arts qualify as the former sort of art (wushu springs to mind first and foremost). But the grittier and less aesthetically-oriented a martial art is, the better it fits under the latter definition ("the art of fighting"). So it's ALL "martial arts."

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I define Art as the one in Simon and Garfunkel who wasn't Paul Simon. In this way, are martial arts really an art?

(aside from being facetious, my point is really that I think you've limited your definition of art to one that differs from the meaning intended in "martial art" - i.e. "the crafts of war". Martial arts were never intended to fall under the definition of "art" you use above. I actually have a partially formed opinion that the definition of "art" you use above is a relatively modern corruption of the term and that the word should really only be used synonymously with "craft" or "skill", but I don't have any evidence to hand to back that up)

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i still stand by my point that martial craft would be a better term

first one to mention world of warcraft gets punched :p

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

double post

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

But if we call it "martial craft," people who think crafting = making things with your hands could question the appropriateness of the term. I'd be fine, having rebuilt an epee or five in my time, but the rest of you fools...

8. -Harlequin-

-Harlequin- Valued Member

LOL.

I can see martial craft fairs springing up across the country, with martiat 'crafters' trying to flog thier badly constructed goods to ignorant visitors.

'katanas, buy one get one free'

9. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

It's like Damien Hirst kicking Tracey Emin in the face - Sure it's martial, but is it art??

10. Moi

I'd pay to see that

11. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

Diamond skull headbutt for the win

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Martial art is expression of the human body through physical movement. Similar to how interpretive dance and rhythmic gymnastics are used to convey emotion. Art is an expression of life and transcends both time and space. Does martial art achieve this goal? Look at how it passes through the centuries and crosses over borders, and you have your answer.

13. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

Art can be defined in many different ways, the relative "correctness" of these definitions is a very contentions subject. So I suppose it just comes down to what you consider art to mean. Personally I say no because the aesthetic aspects of martial arts are not (generally) the most important part of the endeavor, but if you have a different interpretation of art than I do then who knows.

14. Edgeorge

Edgeorge Valued Member

That's what I've been hearing but I wonder how it happens? I can't see how one can express himself in combat. :bang:

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I always assumed kicking someone in the teeth could be interpreted as "I'm angry."

16. Moi

Because you should be a clone of your teacher. Everyone has their own style. That's the artistic bit of fighting. Creating something that suits you

17. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

Yes.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

19. heartbreathway

heartbreathway New Member

As an art

Martial arts are artistic! Not just in the ownership of technique, and the expression of self through the execution. Consider for a moment, dance. Consider, too, something like Cirque du Soleil. I've found that people can be moved, they can be inspired by the athleticism of a martial arts performance. Martial arts has many sides; there is the self defense aspect, there is a competitive aspect, a health aspect, and the performance aspect. Martial artists today want to move away from the performance aspect, their argument being that it isn't practical. its too showy. Which, in a myriad of instances, is very true. Rightfully, these individuals do not refer to their practice as martial art. They call it martial science, martial strategy, and others. They are subtly aware that this facet of combat is missing.
    Personally, and this stands as an opinion, thoroughly practical martial arts can be just as moving, applied the right way. One thing I strive for with my students is athleticism. A common theme for me is Momentum. Let our movements move .

20. heartbreathway

heartbreathway New Member

In addendum, are you not inspired watching a talented or particularly skilful practitioner? Food for thought.