Are leg locks allowed in Judo?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Chr9is, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

If not, err..why?

Thanks.

2. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

Depends on the club. But in compition, no their not allowed.

Their consirded too dangerious.

3. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

I see. Thank you very much Teryan. But, i dont see how they could be considered too dangerous? Assuming both you and your partner communicate, have control and tap(obviously) wouldn't practicing them be no more dangerous than practicing arm bars and chokes?

4. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Coming into Judo from Sambo I will tell you that you feel leg-locks differently than upper body submissions. For kneebars you don't feel real pressure being applied until late in the submission. New people to Sambo often have difficulty learning to tap out to leg locks at the right time because it's not the pain they're expecting, and many times a coach has to jump in to seperate them before something goes wrong.

For a choke you can feel yourself either losing breath or getting faint, so it's easy to know when to tap out.

5. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

IIRC one of the main reasons for them making them illegal is because people would crank the heel hook too much, whats the judo name for taht again(heel hook)?

6. TsukinoKage

TsukinoKage New Member

The heel hook itself is banned even in BJJ competition.

Lowerbody submissions are a bit more dangerous because the point where you will start feeling pain and tapping is also when there's probably damage already inflicted.

I don't even remember there being a Heek Hook in Judo, just a few ankle locks and kneebars. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the technique may have some Catch Wrestling/Submission grappling origins.

7. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Wrong, many BJJ competitions allow heel hooks, but it is on the beginner and lower levels at which then yes, they are usually banned.
    And the heel hook name starts with ashi, tahts all i remember

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The heel hook is normally allowed in BJJ in brown the brown belt and above category.

As for the Judo name for a heel hook I think that it's Ashi Garami (Entangled leg).

9. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

What exactly is a heel hook?

10. Freeform

11. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Ah. I've seen that before a lot, but I always just thought of it as an ankle lock. I guess it makes sense to call it a heel hook because of the way it looks.

12. Freeform

It may look like an ankle lock but the majority of the pressure is directed to the knee.