Are counter-throws commonly taught?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by d33pthought, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

There's a story in my club about how a week or two of classes were devoted to tanio toshi before an upcoming tournament, and I believe it was something like 15 of the 17 matches won were won with tanio toshi.

2. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

this is strange, you must be mistaken, because tanio toshi dosen't deserve to taken seriously. dexterTCN says so! :eek: :D

but seriously, i have seen many contests won with tanio toshi and many won with other counters, including dexters uchi-mata sukashi and tsubami gaeshi. but to name two counters as superior to all other is, IMO crazy.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

As long as this discussion stays friendly I'm happy for you to keep it going... Just don't let yourselves get too heated.

As far as counters go, my favourate 3 counters were tani-otoshi, uke-waza and a simple reaping (not really tsubami-gaeshi or specifically one of the -gari throws, just catching whatever foot was attacking and reaping in the right direction with whatever was there). I always preferred the first 2 though

4. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

I've already left mate. He can talk to himself.

5. judoboxer

judoboxer New Member

i dont think judojedi was getting heated or unfriendly, he was just poking light hearted fun at dexter for making a daft staement.

as for counters, Aegis has got it spot on.

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I know the debate wasn't getting heated at that point, but unfortunately it's often easy to misinterpret the tone of a post through written word, so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to get out of hand. I like good discussions :)

7. judojedi

your right JB, i was just poking fun at dexter.

i thought we were having a good discussion, but dexter seems to have decided to quit early. hope he didn't take offence to my sarcasim :)

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I know and have trained with Dexter. I've never known him to ever make a 'daft' statement (about MA that is ;) ). He has many years of training in Judo, regularly under many excellent coaches who have produced many of the current national squad and a few world champs.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Depends on what you term as skilled. I use Tani otoshi alot but I don't consider it to be entirely 'skillful'. Just a big man sitting down with his leg out :)

10. judoboxer

judoboxer New Member

the skill may not be entirley in the move itself. depend on who you are trying to counter. against someone smaller than yourself, physics plays a key role, as you say freeform ''a big man sitting down with his leg out!''. would it work that easy against a bigger man? or would it work against a stronger man going for ippon-seio-nage at high speed?
    this is where i think the skill comes in, being able to jigati (sp?) then transition to tanio toshi or whatever other counter is available, in a very small amount of time. or even to mis jigati out all together, the decision has to be made instantaneously or even instinctivley.

i train with the kids alot (teaching and helping my sensei) and i find using little or no strength against them you get to learn alot about the true technique. the hardest part is trying to not use your weight as an advantage.

11. judojedi

i agree, learn how to not use your weight, then you will best understand how use it effeciently.