Are belts necessary

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Shisochin, Nov 1, 2004.

?

Are Belts

1. Necessary

41.0%
  2. Just to keep your pants up

36.1%
  3. I don't need a belt to keep my pants up

22.9%
  1. Shisochin

Shisochin New Member

We all (most of us anyway) have some sort of a belt or ranking system in the styles we practice. But are belts neccessary. You may be a black belt, but get into a situation on the street your opponent wont give a damn what grade you are. In the street your only armed with your knowledge. Even in class i've seen orange belts performin a better punch than brown belts. Some even know and can do the syllabuses of the higher grades better than they can.
    I suppose there are 2 sides. In class it does show personal achievement. But on the street its nothing.

What are your opinions on the usefullness of grades/belts??
    As Bruce Lee said - "Belts....Belts are used for holding your pants up"

Shisochin - The "Master Of Darkness"

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Handy for an instructor to see who knows what, kinda like Scout badges, and nice psychological effect to have a goal to aim for. Don't know about you though, but I only wear a martial arts belt in class.

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

where else would/could you wear a belt??? :confused: i mean you wear it with your uniform in a MA related situation: class, demonstration, competiton and that's it.

Schisochin, you might want to check out the following thread with the same topic:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21388&highlight=belt+system

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well to be fair I do wear belts out when I'm going to work, but they're a slightly different thing, being leather and all.

Hmm, an idea for a new martial arts product strikes. :D

5. Shisochin

Shisochin New Member

What i meant was that when you fight in the street - your opponent isn't going to know what belt you are is s/he.........of course you dont where them out of class..

6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Hmmm...I didn't check off any of the the three. I don't think they are "necessary"and I don't usually wear one to keep my pants up - my chubby little hips do that quite nicely on their own. Although I do have to say belts can be a nice accessory.:rolleyes:

I think you will find many people have valid reasons why they retain belt ranking systems and many do it just to impress parents and try to convince them that they are a legitimate martial art , because "look ma, I give out belts!". The first usually don't have huge problems but the second may as they begin to get labelled as a mcdojo or lose credibility.

I train in three arts that do give out belts and one that doesn't. I don't feel I am getting an added bonus in the ones that do, that is simply the way it is done there. The one that doesn't, doesn't. Simple.

It is when you get caught up in them as a student or use them ridiculously as a reward or cash cow as an instructor that the problems occur. Mature people, following rational requirements will have no huge issues with a belt system. Mature people, following rational requirements will have no huge issues with a no belt system.

**EDIT** previous clarifying post was posted at the same time. Sorry my above post doesn't really address your issue!!! Sorry!:eek:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hahahaha but we are not talking about fashion, are we?! that is why I found your post funny :D :D :D

I personally don't have anything against belts as long as they are given by a skilled instructor in a quality dojang. I can remember how happy I was to receive my first belt and every other belt after that. It's kind of a reward for your hard work.

But if I trained in an art that doesn't have belts, it would be fine too.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  8. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

first of all, i don't know about anyone else, but my karate belt doesn't hold my pants up anyway. i think belts are good as targets to aim for when you're training, especially for young children.

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

maybe because that's not its purpose!!! :p

and what if you are supposed to aim for the head? :D :D :D

10. Shisochin

Shisochin New Member

aim for a bandana....../shrug/

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

what if the other guy doesn't have one??? then you might have a problem :D :D :D

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The only thing I see as a problem with no grading syllabus is, when do you know that someone is good enough to teach?

13. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I can see your point, but on the other side someone can hold a black belt but not be able to teach. I guess it all comes down to skill.

14. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

We don't use them. We have an advancement system but nothing you can see readily. We just know amongst ourselves.

15. Shisochin

Shisochin New Member

and what system is that Nordic???

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Are belts necessary?
    I would have voted for "No" if the option had been there.

Some systems have a belt system and it can be a very useful tool to record skills progression (I look at them as "book marks" of the curriculum), to indicate what skills a person has learned/should be learning/needs to learn (especially useful if you rotate intsructors around or have a large roster), and may be useful as a form of motivation for some learners (especially young ones). A belt system can be good, but...

It is not necessary. There are many other ways to do the same thing without belts. For many of us though, we are in formal systems that we love and respect and are taught by people we love and respect... so instead of leaving the system because you "have to wear a belt", many of us just follow the system and use it to its best.

17. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

My teacher has a certificate in his flat giving him authority to teach.......from Foghorn Leghorn!

I think grading has its use, but there seems to be almost too many grades. This means that if someone has a spectacularly good day they might advance a grade, when they were only that good for that day.

I also don't particularly like the idea of only being able to learn more if you have passed/paid for all the necessary gradings.

I prefer the following:
    Beginner (learning the basic drills, movements, etc)
    Advanced Student (Learning the fuller curriculum, but not eligible to teach)
    Assistant teacher (helping out in class, taking beginners classes if no teacher available)
    Teacher (self explanatory)

I feel that a few schools abuse the grading system for the sake of monetary gain. This harms the art to my mind. Definitely puts people off.

Liked the idea of 'scout badges' though.
    Kicking someone in the nuts badge
    Chopping piece of wood badge.
    Doing kata without falling over badge
    etc.

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

It really is a psychological thing for me and a lot of others. Doesn't make us tougher or stronger, more fearless or afraid. I feel better when I put my belt on and cinch up the knot.

19. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

We use t-shirts nobody wears. We have testing every 3 months and if the couch and you think you're ready you test. No cost but it's a verbal, written and physical test.

20. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Keep in mind, the only reason schools use belts is for organization. They let the instructer know who's ready to learn what, and who's prepared to do what.