Are bag gloves necessary?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Spinmaster, Oct 30, 2008.

1. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

that does'nt look right MD:evil::rolleyes::)

2. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Some form of glove is neccercary and wearing wraps is a good idea too, if you do it with nothing you can hurt your joints especially on your ring and little finger. You will also shred your knuckles (normally the middle and index knuckles) without a glove or wraps. I like to use 16oz normal gloves as they weigh alot more than bag gloves so when i put on 10oz gloves to fight I can hit faster.

I wouldn't suggest trying to condition your knuckles. I've torn my knuckles tons of times and now it I have scar tissue there so I imagine they are more likely to tear than ever now.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. shaolin fighter

shaolin fighter Banned Banned

I didn't wear gloves for a long time. I don't like them that much. If you don't wear them it conditions your hands more. I like hitting without gloves. I sometimes use wrist wraps though.

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

The fact you use Martial DAD as a handle suggest sometimes the best just isn't good enough :jester:

And I am a big believer in bag gloves - I even used to wear them working on the doors of some nightclubs I worked at.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

your my new hero

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

:rolleyes: They were all planned(ish)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  7. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

You can make love and war now! :D

8. zabSE

zabSE New Member

Wraps and gloves are necessary when doing bagwork for your protection. While you can get away with a lighter gauge using bag gloves, you do need some sort of protection to ensure that you're not causing injury to yourself over a long term.

But in saying that, if you know how to wrap properly you can get away with light exercise using only wraps - but be careful and don't hit the bag too hard and over do it.

Soon as our guys start training, they learn to wrap properly and do it every day.

As for brand names, i recommend twins and also king for both gloves and wraps.

[​IMG] <<< very scary. :O:O:O

9. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I geniunely lolled :)

10. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

You got any evidence for this? Mas Oyama never had any problems (apart from the Japanese being very big on yearly medical check-ups anyway, towards the end of his life he was a participant in a long term study using x-rays, scans etc, to determine precisely the effects of bare-knuckle practice on health of the hands). They found no evidence of arthritis or any other chronic complaint.

Also, I can't remember who (I can check when I get home) but some martial-artist book-writing doctor did a study of knuckle damage and concluded that knuckles essentially don't condition: the skin on them is too thin and stretched, and even if you develop hard callouses the skin there is just more easily torn if it's been damaged before. I don't think the study took account of any kind of jow or toughening medicine.

However much you punch a punch-bag, one shot on someone's teeth or jaw is all it takes to cut your hand to shreds, and gloves/no gloves aren't going to make any difference to that.

I don't know if there have been any studies involving wraps, but I would imagine that getting too used to using wraps (if you are 'planning' on bareknuckle encounters) could engender dangerous punching practice (for similar reasons to not using straps/belts for lifting - and similarly I guess opinions are divided). The bones/muscle set-up in the hand is one of the most flexible in the body. Just look at extreme slow-mo footage of karateka breaking blocks. So, while I often see blanket statements like zabSE's
    I've never seen any evidence of this long-term damage or even of it having been studied by medical professionals. Of course, there are some people who will go nuts and wreck themselves, same as in any sport, but building it up is the key.

BTW, my koryu internals ex-teacher is always recommending not using gloves (on any surface: bags, shields etc) but for different reasons: you want to punch to their core, not their surface. He's very good at nailing even moving targets with deep penetrating punches, and says you should always practice without gloves so you can learn to minimize glancing blows and to strike deep into the target. Of course, this would depend on how you hit: if you use a strike designed to twist and cut like a boxing cross, it's probably going to have a higher chance of cutting you, and again conditioning isn't going to make any difference.

BTW 2, I really think the idea that if you can punch with bare-knuckle on a bag you're not punching hard enough is nonsense. Like anything else: you work up to it, and it depends on how you're striking.