anyone who practice boabom??

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by jrb, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jrb

jrb New Member

I come from madrid boabom school,i,d like to share my personal experience with anyone who want to know about it or alredy practice it.
    i would appreciate those comments from boston or santiago boabom students.

regards, positive energy

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

So, are you gonna share your experience with us? :)

3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Seems not! :rolleyes:

4. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Boabummer!

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Isn't that when a certain type of large snake begins to constrict on you?

6. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Lol.

7. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

8. Sarge

Sarge Wing Chun / MMA

Thanks for the quick links nready. I hadn't heard of it either. Cool ! Learn something new everyday !

9. nready

It is different it looks like a mix of Taiji and Sheto(replace e=i) Ryu. I know I have around owe 20 some years in martial arts and had not heard of it.

10. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Strange that I can't find a damned thing about who "Asanaro" (the author of the book cited in one of the links shown) is, or who his teacher is, or where in Tibet this art is actively practiced. But maybe that's just weakness in my google-jitsu.

That alone isn't indicative of anything, but I still find it sort of strange.

11. nready

That is what I was trying to find out as well when I posted those links, hoping someone would know how to get more info. I to am limited in my understanding in net or how they will get so much info on someone.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Use search and look up a thread that was here on MAP, last year I think.The facts that no one is teaching this anywhere but in the western countries,that in spite of the spread of Tibetan monasteries and Buddhism across the world no one ever mentioned anything like this until the last few years, led some to feel that this is basically something which,even if having some "traditional" background it draws on, is basically a modern construction to capitalize on the popularity of T'ai Chi type exercises.

That Wikipedia link doesn't say much,and if you read the-(almost totally fictitious)- Wikpedia entry on the Shaolin Temple you'll understand why some entries there are obviously the work of promoters of the subject.And should be taken with about 20 pounds of salt.

I just find it strange that in spite of the fact that myself and some of my teachers have had close relations or students with both native Tibetan and western followers of their religion, no one ever whispered even of the existence of such a practice.

Of course,maybe the west wasn't deemed "worthy" of receiving such teaching 'til now.In spite of the fact that the Tibetan movement has been openly teaching/spreading their religion, -(which is certainly a bigger deal than some supposed sd/exercise system)- here in the west big time for the last 20+ years.

It just seems too convenient, that a part of their system is based on slow motion exercise.(Keep in mind that NO TC practiced all slow forms until after 1920).No one ever/heard mentioned this until recently, and crappy exercise/meditation T'ai Chi is the bulk of what is a very popular,uh..pastime now.And a VERY lucrative market for lousy books and DVDs.And in all fairness the books on Boabom I've seen were typical of run of the mill TC books.

From an analytical historian' perspective, I won't say it can't be a authentic system that wasn't created for opportune purposes.But at this time it just doesn't add up.

The concept of MAs which have -(some) practices performed in slow motion being for meditative/spiritual purposes is basically a 20th century development. As Boabom is promoting this fairly recent concept in regards to their system also makes any claims of tradition suspect

Don't mean to upset you practitioners, but new "ancient" systems are always appearing,usually without anything to back up their historical claims.If people are going to introduce and make claims for a heretofore unknown system, let's at least have some history and line of descent.That can be researched.

A final note,in regards to self defense training.

As I stated above,Wikipedia is not always a good source of info.I would like to ask the practitioners here if the statement on Wikipedia on non-contact is true, and if so, how can one train for self defense w/out contact?

'Cause really, if it is true that training is done w/out contact,but you are being told you are learning self defense, you are not being sold a fairy tale.You are receiving a big,fat,lie.Period.Even if the people telling you this believe it,it's still a lie.A bill of goods to take your money,not really deliver the goods, and give you false confidence.

13. suthkypa

suthkypa New Member

jrb, i would like to correspond with you about Boabom. you can contact me through the mail system here or [my username]@gmail.com