Anyone tried P90X program

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by yannick35, Jan 12, 2009.

1. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

I just got myself a copy with diet and program and it looks real good.

Has a segment called kenpo X, and a lot more.

There is a lot of bodyweight exercises mixed with dumbell work, and elastic bands too.

2. angelslayer

angelslayer New Member

my friend has it we do the ab work out it works really good and I have a really hard stomach but no six pack :(

3. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

My beautiful genetics will not allow me to ever have a six pack, its quit of weird because even when i was top shape veins popping out of my chest and arms my mid section even if it was flat never, ever showed a sign of abs.

The mean reason i have been told is that i have an extra layer of skin ontop of my abs, they will become strong but sadly will never show unless i get some special surgery done and that will cost around 7000$, not thanks i think i will pass LOL

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Special surgery for an extra layer of skin? Sorry but unless you have flaps of spare skin from previously weighting 350lbs then this is complete garbage. Try something like the Anabolic Diet or another diet that is quite aggressively low carb like carb cycling and you should see the abdominal fat fall off. Fat around the midsection is usually an indicator of poor insulin sensitivity and increasing this sensitivity by lowering carbs will help to shed that fat. Showing abs is 90% diet.

5. Im_Mortal_1

Im_Mortal_1 New Member

The 'extra' layer of skin is probably just fat cells...
    You can have a layer of fat while your stomach is flat. I've always had veins popping out of my arms and chest when i'm working out, but thats because fat rarely collects there.

6. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Well has with my back pain i have been told so many things that i usually take with thos so called professional say with a grain of salt.

I can give you guys some feedback when i start doing the P90X again, my back pain is going very well so i guess i should start the program soon.

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think you should just pick something and stick with it.

8. Dehitay

Dehitay Valued Member

Hmmm, what you said so far leads me to believe it's possible you're building up your stomach without building up your back. Even if it's not the case for you, it's probly still useful to mention that if you build up your abs without building up the muscles on the back that counter them, you'll eventually start to suffer as your abs will pull forward harder than your back pulls backwards.

For those who have strong abs but don't work on their back much, start doing squats and deadlifts to build those back muscles (but make sure you do them right, as unbalanced ab strength can make it easy to injure yourself). Planking is also a good isometric for strengthening both the back and the stomach.

9. Morra

Morra Valued Member

My main training program is Pavel's kettlebell system, but I have been supplementing it with P90X. My boss got me into it. He was already in shape, but stuck on his plateau, and he's lost 15lbs in about 5 months, looks leaner (and meaner).

It's an intense program based on confusing your body by having a large variety of exercises, a strict diet program, and 30 sec to 1 min intense reps, then moving on to the next exercise. The diet might be difficult to stick with, and the exercises are not for beginners really - it's very intense with high impact exercises like its plyometrics CD.

It's also pretty expensive if you have to buy it as opposed to getting it with a friend or whatever.

If you stick with it, you will get results big time.

10. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Thanks for the feedback yeah i read the diet and its really hard mostly low carb to start with then you sort of get them back in.

11. SteffenBerg

SteffenBerg Valued Member

If you follow the program it works...

I did the P90X program for about 75 days before I took a break (due to travel & holidays). I went from 207lbs to 191lbs during this time. From no six pack to seeing them for the first time in a few years.

Great program with good variety. It keeps you from getting bored, plus if you follow the program properly you will shed fat.

I am starting another cycle in about a week (nursing a sore shoulder at the moment sustained during jiu jitsu) and figure I'll get pretty ripped by the end of 90 days.

My opinion is that the diet isn't terribly difficult... if you already watch what you eat and are accustomed to eating 5 - 6 times a day. If you're not, then yeah as with any diet it will be difficult. I'd recommend you start entering your caloric intake into a food journal like myfitnesspal.com now to get accustomed to counting calories.

If you do this it will be a much easier transition into the program.

Before I started the P90X program I actually took a week to get used to the workouts and to check the amount of weight I needed to use for the exercises that require dumbbells (and make sure to write the figures down). This will help you raise your intensity once you start your 90-day program since you won't be fumbling trying to figure out the weights. I also recommend you start with a slightly lighter weight than you think you can use the first week.

/Stef

12. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

A friend of mine purchased it. It is not being used. Anything is good if you use it and not good if you don't use it.

13. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Awsome feedback i am pertty much the same weight has you are i do have 40 inch waist tough, YAGGGG.

Diet is not going to be a problem i dont eat 5 times per day but i do eat good.

I just finish core synergy and it rocked my world LOL really hard stuff but i will be great to strenghten my back and abs and recovering from that back pain.

I dont use tones of weight, i will start of with 5 pounds db for starters i also have the elastic bands, and 10-15-20 pounds DB but i rather play it safe and use lighter weights to avoid injury again.

The important thing is to finish the workout so i dont think using 30 pounds db would be a good idea when you have to go 1 minute non stop for an exercise, the guy that does P90X uses 20 pounders max in the core synergy i havent check out the other programs.

I am going to do the LEAN version to really lose the weight then after i finish that cycle i will do the CLASSIC version

14. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

You need to understand that P90X is not for everybody, far from it, even Tony the guy in the program says it.

X at the end means extreme and that is what it is.

So far i have tried Core SynergX and Cardio X and found them to by quit hard, i have no shame in saying i stopped a few times, i gased out, could not complete all required push ups, and other exercises. Today i feel like a train ran over me a few times, i am quit sore in a lot of places, feels good because its not the original back pain that i feel, it really is soreness due to one great workout.

I never loved it when something is easy, and for me P90X is something i have to do, a sort of a mountain i have to climb, but a hard one at it.

Many people just cant train at home, its just that simple has well, tae bo, bootcamp, and many others are great DVDs but lets face it at some point being alone at home doing them gets boring.

P90X on the other side has so many different programs that its really hard to get bored.

Your friend can just sell is copy pertty sure that many would be interesed, i bough mine at the flea market for peanuts 20$ for the whole thing

15. SteffenBerg

The P90X is definitely not for everybody. Working yourself up to some level of fitness before going hardcore is definitely a good idea. Having said that, I went from barely working out at all to jumping into the program... I spent a week getting used to each of the modules for Phase 1 before going to the program.

One of the things I've heard from people who have started the P90X is that they either A. don't follow a diet, or B. pick and choose the workouts...

I highly recommend you DON'T do that... stick to the diet or at least a sensible eating plan (like the "Body for Life" plan), and also follow the progression of workouts. For instance, many skip the Yoga X workout... because it's boring, too difficult or too long; but I believe this is one of the core workouts of the program (even Tony says this).

I'm the third most inflexible person in the world, so the Yoga was a huge challenge for me... but it got easier as I got into it. Now I've added Yoga to my daily routine and do it (almost) every morning (Bryan Kest's Power Yoga program).

Also many people (including Tony) recommend that you start with the "Classic" version of the program... then on the second cycle do either doubles or the lean version.

A final note... many of the individuals who have experienced super results added another cardio workout every day or two, starting from Phase 2. If you are going to MA classes on a regular basis you probably don't need to do this... but I thought you should know.

/Stef

16. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

No way in skipping the Yoga X, its amazing hard has hell but amazing.

I still have some back pain and Yoga X is a must for me same has Core Synergenic DVD.

The upward dog decompresses the whole spine that its great.

I am testing myself right now and amazed at how well my prolotherapy treatments went also the spineforce. I can do things that 6 months earlier i could not do.

I just finished cardio X tonight and everything went amazing i was able to keep up with the program til the end.

I still need to test one more program the one called leg and back and then i start on the diet and i will be doing the lean version.

Following it to the T of course has i have a lot of GOO to lose has Tony Horton says LOL.

Ma will be in September 2009 when all my back is fixed and i have build myself into a great all around shape i will be 37 years old then.

17. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Might add Yoga X daily too after all i dont have to do the whole hour and a half today i did 40 minutes and that was plenty i was also soaked and wet.

My girlfriend used to do yoga 2 times per week and when she saw the DVD Yoga X she freaked out, its hard real hard but it really hits the spot.

Yoga has so many benefits that everyone should do it.

18. SteffenBerg

For the Yoga X, if you plan on cutting the workout short - it was recommended to me that I end it after the standing postures (by a few of the "original" P90X guys), which would be at about the 1 hour mark of the DVD.

I did the first hour of Yoga X relatively religiously three times a week in addition to the regular P90X workout until I got Bryan Kest's DVD - it's a bit more manageable than the regular Yoga X workout (time wise) and it offers 3 different workouts.

And I totally agree, Yoga is awesome and should be experienced by everyone... I find both Yoga and Tai Ji to be invaluable to my BJJ training.

/Stef

19. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

The fact that he's using X as a cool-looking suffix because of it's connotations with something unknown should set off an alarm bell for starters.

You also have no heavy barbell lifts...
    bodypart splits...
    pussy dumbbells...
    almost certainly horrific squat technique...
    no heavy barbell lifts...
    fitness models used to give the impression that you too can look like them in 90 days (you can't)...
    use of words like "sculpting", "toning" and "tightening" to describe exercising the muscles, as though the aforementioned things actually happen to the muscle...
    no heavy barbell lifts...
    "low-impact" cardio, as if your joints cannot withstand any increased loading...

Did I mention no heavy barbell lifts?

What is about shocking the muscles? It's pseudoscience. Linear adaptation can be maintained on the exact same lifts for several months as a beginner, with huge strength increases as a result. Good lord, get yourself a copy of Starting Strength, build up some respectable poundages, put on some weight and then do some REAL metabolic conditioning.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  20. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I've heard from one of the guys at my gym that the P90x is an excellent program. He's a military guy and one of the fittest at the gym. he's come and worked out with me and is in phenomenal shape. His approval is a good sign, typically.

On the other hand, Yannick, my previous advice stands.

Pick something
    Stick with it.