Anyone know Mr Eric Marshall?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Mitch, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A friend of mine is thinking of taking his young son (7) along to the club of Mr Eric Marshall (Bugei-Ki-Ryu Ju-jitsu) in Liverpool. Has anyone trained with Mr Marshall or know anything about him and his club?

Thanks for any info :)

Mitch

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Nope sorry Mitch .

Smurf

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Name rings a bell. I'll make a couple of calls

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

http://www.bkr-jitsu.co.uk/History.html

The website doesn't give much info on this Bugei-Ki-Ryu, which sets the odd alarm bell off with me, however that doesn't mean the chap couldn't kick **** if needed.

The lack of info is just odd.

On top of that they seem to be teaching Nunchaku and Tonfa :confused: which again seems odd for a jujutsu style.

I'd question exactly where the weapons training comes from and to what degree it's been studied by the teachers, after all weaponary is a serious thing.

Just based on the website I'd be cautious and IMO you'll probably find what's being taught is a mix of Judo, Karate and some Okinawan weaponary thrown in for some spice.

Again that's just based on the website, might be worth dropping them an e-mail.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  5. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Not much info on the website. Syllabus looks very WJJF-ish.

Could the answer be Judo? :eek: :hat:

6. Dean Winchester

Mitch,

What is your mate looking for in a MA for his lad?

7. Mitch

Hi guys, thanks for the responses, I've been away a few days and just catching up.

Apparently this is the new website.

My friend's son is nearly 7. Partly they want to burn up some of the enormous amount of energy he has, but there's also been some bullying at his school which, whilst not very serious, has been enough to give his self-esteem a knock. They were thinking this might help.

I pointed them towards judo too, but haven't been able to find a club close to them (Liverpool 18, Brodie Avenue). Anyone know one?

Mitch

8. Dean Winchester

Hmm still nothing about the instructor or style, it just screams mixed style to me rather than actual jujutsu but that’s not to say it isn’t any good but it does raise some questions.

I just find it odd that there's no run down on what the instructor has done over the years, all it says is he's "8th dan" but that's in the system he founded.

However all that aside there's also the issue of what the training is like and is it suitable, which you can only gauge by viewing a class can your mate make an assessment like that?

9. Mitch

He's not into MA at all so a bit difficult for him really Dean, other than me giving him some general pointers.

mitch

10. Dean Winchester

Well suppose the options are we invite him (Mr Marshall) here to chat or someone drops him an email asking him the relevant questions and then your mate goes for a viewing.

I know you said your mate just wants something for his lad to burn off his energy and build confidence but as I see it it’s best to get them in a decent place regardless.

11. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

This. I reckon you should provide your mate with a list of questions to put to him by e-mail. I agree with dean in that its best to find a quality school irrespective of your mates or his kids initial intentions. A good school will provide everything they want plus decent martial arts training so its win, win right?

12. Mark young

Mark young New Member

Hello my name is Mark Young I've been training with the bkr for 35 years .are head instructor and founder soke Eric marshes 8the Dan has trained in traditional jujitsu for 50 years and has travelled around the world attending seminars and versus courses . We are a well established club situated in Mersey side for over 35 years .

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Welcome to MAP

Might wanna check the dates as this is a 7 year old thread

narcsarge and Mushroom like this.
  14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

And maybe provide detailed answers to the queries in the thread. Really didn't say much of anything.

gapjumper and Hannibal like this.
  15. Mitch

Thanks for the reply Mark, much appreciated :)

As a happy postscript to this thread, the young lad in question actually found a judo club, and I believe he recently graded for his black belt having really taken to it. :)