Anyone interested in body weight training should watch these guys

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheMrWilbur, Sep 24, 2012.

1. TheMrWilbur

TheMrWilbur New Member

If you are seriously looking to start body weight training, then this is the video for you:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n3mbzcRHj8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n3mbzcRHj8[/ame]

Body weight routines can really work well, in my opinion almost better then actual weights. With body weight you really feel the exercise, because you are only using yourself as the main form of resistance. Also with body weight the progressions are more rewarding.

Sure if you can lift ten more kilograms then someone else, that's fairly cool; but it isn't as cool as being able to do a one armed push up; or a freestanding hand stand push up. Personally I also like the fact that you are not confined to a gym, you can literally work out anytime and anywhere.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

those spider walk push ups look pretty dope

3. TheMrWilbur

TheMrWilbur New Member

They hurt so so, much... they are one of the best exercises that I have tried.

4. Katsu

Katsu Banned Banned

Totally disagree since alot of people are obese these days how you going to get them to do chins, push ups etc truth is your not. lifting weights burns more calories than aerobic exercise there are alot of studies to support this now. I don't mean do a set on the bench press wait five minutes to do next set what I mean is bare minimum 30 seconds max rest periods between sets. People want to know what the best exercises are for building muscle getting toned etc it's the exercises you hardly ever do you have to keep you body in a constant state of SHOCK. You want to build muscle read bodybuilding by Joe weider (he trained Arnie) all the fundamental techniques are in there trust me I have been bodybuilding a long time.

5. TheLongRoad

TheLongRoad Valued Member

I had never heard of these guys so thanks for posting that link MrWilbur.

I'm going to start using their "Intense Fat Burning Routine" because it's really simple and it actually works you really hard. I think I'll probably do 2-3 sets of it though before I try and burn myself out with the sprint at the end though.

6. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

EDIT:

Whoops, I got here from the 'new posts' and didn't realize I was posting in the 'bodyweight training' section. Take what I say with that in mind.
    ---------------

There is certainly nothing wrong with bodyweight routines. Depending on your goals, they can give you great results.

That being said, there are areas of the body that are incredibly difficult to train without equipment, the lower back being one. The quads another (bodyweight exercises are just too light to really make any progress past minimal here), whether its bodyweight squats, sprinting, jumping, depth drops, etc.

Building muscle does not have to be done with exercises that keep your body in a state of shock. You just need to make the exercise more difficult than before so your body is forced to adapt accordingly.

I lastly want to disagree with the idea that " if you can lift ten more kilograms then someone else, that's fairly cool; but it isn't as cool as being able to do a one armed push up; or a freestanding hand stand push up."

Sure maybe, but what if you can lift 100 kg more than the average person? Is that more or less cool? Handstand balance aside, if you are strong you can do one hand and upside down pushups.

I think its cooler to be stronger than 99% of the rest, AND be able to do a handstand pushup.

I need to comment on the video now that I've watched the entirety. There is no lower back training. The idea of burning out the bodyparts with max reps only to do it for 4-8 sets makes no sense. Burning out with bodyweight squats could take forever. Speaking for myself, I could probably do about 500 if not more, and so could anyone else with a bit of training. Thats way more volume than anyone wants, and it would take forever.

The pullups workout, besides the volume, actually looks pretty good. The only other issue I have with the routine is that there is an overemphasis on abdominal contraction, but not any on the extension of the back - this can lead to poor muscle balance and injuries down the line - a good example being Bruce Lee. He did tons of ab exercises, super strong abs, but hurt himself with 135 on the bar with a goodmorning - a pretty light weight.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  7. TheLongRoad

TheLongRoad Valued Member

I would agree that they (The Bar Brothers) don't seem to do very much with the lower back, but I have to question your assertion that BW exercises for legs are lacking in variety or intensity.

Just a quick trip to a website I frequent gave me this:

http://ashotofadrenaline.net/15-hardest-bodyweight-leg-exercises-ever-made/

And I'd also point out that gymnasts can, and generally do, have seriously strong backs and they focus a lot on bodyweight training.

Also, and this is more of a question, wouldn't those hanging leg lifts they're doing work the whole core? You would have to keep a fair amount of tension on the whole core during those exercises no?

8. NinjaPlease

NinjaPlease Ninjas always say Please.

Great post!! Video had some dope beats playing. ;)

9. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Those are great exercises mostly, but my opinion after doing one legged squats, as well as explosive variations (which is essentially what that list is composed of - really technically difficult ones), is that they become too easy MUCH too fast. Easy in exertion, not in complexity. Most people just don't weigh enough for it to matter. Now factor in a weighted vest, that just changed the game - but thats external loading.

I want to specifically stay on the leg extension (quads) as opposed to flexion - glute ham raises and the like are a great and difficult bodyweight leg flexion exercise that doesn't necessarily require external loading to be great, especially if you can manipulate the angles to change leverage.

Gymnasts have very strong backs, but the majority of this is the upper back musculature due to the exercises they do. They have enormous lats and shoulders - especially the guys that do ring and pommel horse. The lower back is more necessary for stabilization as opposed to flexion (the abdominals are used for stabilization in certain movements and flexion in others, part of the reason gymnasts abs are strong as hell).

I wish I had a good picture to post, but I don't.

I will say that there are some anecdotes of gymnasts deadlifting above average numbers without much weight training, which points to them not neglecting the lower back as much as it would seem. I know there is an example here down the page:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/essays/all-muscle-no-iron/

He mentions a top gymnast performing a double bodyweight deadlift on his first time. Impressive. Less impressive considering the kid weighed 135 and was 5'3, but still an impressive number. Certainly one can get good results from this kind of training.

Still a double bodyweight deadlift isn't that hard, and if thats all he can get from a lot of gymnastic training, there is something to be desired if he wants a stronger back than what he can get from gymnastic training only. If he doesn't care about that, then it really doesn't matter and his training is getting him great results.

The hanging leg lift doesn't really train the spinal erectors since they are not acting as a prime or secondary mover in the exercise.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

I thought you should never do GM's with more than 1/2 your bodyweight on the bar?

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Bodyweight exercises are great! But you know what's even better? Bodyweight exercises with added weight.

Gymnasts do primarily bodyweight work because their sport requires them to be able to manipulate their bodyweight. They are developing skill and technique alonside specific strength. If gymnasts did weight training with the same dedication that they train gymnastics, they would be much stronger than they already are - they'd just be crappy gymnasts.

12. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Nah, I don't know where you heard that but plenty of powerlifters do heavy GMs.

Thats also a weird place to stop doing an exercise. That would mean that once you get to a double bodyweight squat (not super tough) that your GM is only 1/4 of that weight. It isn't going to do much.

What you shouldn't do is GMs without warmup or doing more than you can handle strength or mobility-wise. But thats true of many exercises.