Anyone interested in attending a Sayoc Workshop in London?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Catman, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Hi guys,

I thought I might ask the question here before I move into organizing just to make sure I can generate enough interest for attendance.

I am planning in organizing a workshop with Pangulong Guro Krishna Godhania(the European Rep for Sayoc Kali) here in London covering the basics of Sayoc Kali(to start with)..The venue is most likely to be in SE London close to Canada Water tube station..
    Those interested pls pm me..

I hope the Moderator would be ok with this as it is only a question to see if there is interest..If the thread needs to be moved to another section I would like to ask the Moderator to do so and accept my apologies.

Many thanks,

Catman

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. embra

embra Valued Member

Catman,

I am interested, but I live in Edinburgh and my funds are low at the moment.

Out of interest, is there no Sayoc Kali in the UK? I do seem to remember someone posting here a while back, indicating that there was a Sayoc Kali representative around in the UK.

On a more general note, what differentiates Sayoc Kali from say Doce Pares, Bakbakan or Inosanto Lacoste Blend Kali?

3. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Hi Embra,

Woow..that's quite a distance..Anyway just to answer your first question..The Sayoc Rep for UK and Europe is Pangulong Guro Krishna Godhania and outstanding FMA Teacher..As for the other question regarding the differences I am sure if you browse the Forum you will find the answer to this particular question.

Regards,

Catman

4. embra

embra Valued Member

Catman,

What Im getting at with comparing Sayoc Kali with Doce Pares, Bakbakan or Inosanto Lacoste Blend Kali; is along the following lines:-

FMA is very skilled and very diverse. I have found FMA to be fascinating but at the same time quite difficult to pin down what makes any one style function i.e. with any FMA style what are its core concepts? I have found other arts like Aikido, to be quite a bit more systematic to analyse and understand in relation to identifying the core concepts.

So with FMA, I use my crude system along the following lines in order that I can understand what 'is on the table' when I make an approximate classification :-

Doce Pares :- most established native Filippino FMA style, which has generated some derivative styles like Pat O'Malley's Rapid Arnis which I currently train in. For me, the knife drills accept cuts as a sacrificial cost to achieve victory. This is partly due to the cross body stick strikes, and the Hubud drills are the core of Doce Pares and its derivative arts.
    Bakabakan :- native Filippino FMA art based on the Illustrisimo system - heavily based around knife defense and countering - 'dont get cut at all' mentality.
    Inosanto Lacoste Blend Kali :- FMA art influenced partly by immigrant Filippinos in America, native Filippinos and also by other cross-breed arts in America; in line with Guro Dan's many influences and interests.

With Sayoc Kali, I understand it to be a knife oriented system, influenced by native Filippionos and immigrant Filippinos in America - so partly2+3 ; - but I could be quite wrong here.

It is simply that I like to identify these differences, as I do attend seminars from FMA when I can.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  5. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

Hi Catman, Guro Krishna has a couple of guys in the London area, so perhaps it would be an idea to get their contact details and you'll have a few people straight off the bat:cool: Best of luck with it

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

embre
    accept cuts as a sacrificial cost to achieve victory. Are you mad.

7. embra

embra Valued Member

The Doce Pares view on knife-fights is generally one of damage limitation i.e. you may well have to take a cut or 2, but you should mitigate their impact on you - not on your vital organs or arteries. Sacrificial does not mean suicidal in this context.

I have not made up my mind yet where I 'stand' on this - I havent seen enough evidence to sway me one way or another. Knife fights all look dangerous to me.

Presumably you are from the 'accept no cuts' world? - However I can see now from your profile that you from Doce Pares, so maybe you can explain the concept better than me - and/or come up with a better rule-of-thumb for classifying FMA styles? Help welcome.

I like to think that I am not mad - but thats just my opinion.:mad:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  8. path_one

path_one steps taken

I would be interested in attending but it would depend on the date etc.

9. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Hi guys,

I will have a chat with Guro Krishna and see what dates he's got available and then I will let you know..

@Dave Joyce

Yep..you're right..I will try to get those guys on board as well and see what they say..

Regards,

Cat

10. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi Cat,

Count me in. lol, I wish!

Doug

11. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

LOL

12. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Hehehe..Doug my man..how are you?long time no talk..how's things?hope you and the family are very well..you have a beautiful house(seen the photos)..amazing..well done!!

All the best,

Cat

13. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I think this is a misunderstanding of a quote I make when teaching people how to deal with real knife confrontations.

Accept the fact that you will get cut, no matter how good you think you are, when you are up against a knife YOU WILL GET CUT, but it is all a matter of where you get cut that counts.

If you cant accept that you will get cut, then you are in for a big surprise.

It is in the same vein that if you train properly with live blades and you or your training partner are not cut at the end of it then your not training properly.

Put it this way, I will not put out my arm on purpose to get cut to get a kill shot, but if I have a choice between my arm getting cut and my throat getting cut, I know which one will give me a better chance of getting a more serious blow on my opponent and I accept the fact that no matter how good I think I am, I will get cut in a real knife confrontation and if I come out the other side needing a few stiches and I am still alive then that is a bonus.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009