Anyone here short?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Ruan Long, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Ruan Long

Ruan Long New Member

I was just thinkiing about how a small person doing taekwondo have some advanatages in sparring. Many people say that if a person is tall, slender, and lightweight, they will have the best advantages. Are there some strategies or advantages short people have?

2. Helm

Helm New Member

Im about average height, but i always used to be short. We shorties tend to be faster, the best technique is to get up close in sparring, well inside the taller guys kicks, annoys the hell out them. Also kicking someone who is a good foot and half taller than yourself in sparring is a very liberating experience.

3. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Well, I'm 5'6........when i fought in a light continuous competition(without much experience mind you), I faced a guy same weight class but he was 6'0, he landed a hell of a lot of punches on me from a far. Unfortunately all i wanted to do was get in close, but that doesn't work (for me anyway) in light continuous (as i found out) I lost the bout. I decided there & then to try & stick to what i think will work for me & not enter light continuous again.

4. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I'm a real shorty 6'0. :D

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Ruan,

I'm 5'7" and used to do a bit of point fighting. Biggest guy I ever fought was 6'10", another was 6'7".
    Assuming both combatants are of similar levels of experience, then the tall person finds it just as hard to fight the short person, so both will play to their own advantage.
    The tall person has reach, and the short person has speed.

Forget the head, and focus on training techniques and combinations which will score to the body. It's better to have two techniques that you've trained to perfection, than ten which only come off now and then.

The taller person will find it easier to kick to the head, so use your speed and movement to make life difficult for him.

Float like a Butterfly, sting like a Bee.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'm 5'8, I really don't like fighting shorter people, they seem to land a lot of punches to my stomach. Though it is easier for me to hit them on the head :D

7. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Hek ya I'm short, at least I think so. I'm almost 21 now and I'm just 5.5&1/2 I think that's really short.....hmmmm I think I may be right at 5'6 now

8. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I was watching AMC and they had the uncut fight between kareem and bruce from game of death, it was pretty long and kind of explained the advantages and disadvantages of being tall/short. Kareem got tired faster because of his large size.

9. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

I'm 5' 2" and the one thing to remember is if your opponent is within reach.........so are you.

Drop into a slightly lower stance. Make their already short target more difficult to strike. Slide in quick and explosive, don't get trapped and reserve enough stamina for a quick exit.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  10. Ruan Long

Ruan Long New Member

Yeah, we short people are fighters aren't we? It's nice to learn that persistance in strategy leads to sucess.

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

[​IMG]

12. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Yep! I just thought I would mention the one I saw was on AMC because the actual movie "Game of Death" doesn't show the full fight.

13. darlph

darlph New Member

I'm 5'5" and a little chunky. Most guys are taller than me. In point, when I sparred, I used to always manage to score with rights to the stomach. For some reason my fist had a mindof it's own then. Also just before they aired that version of "Game of Death", they stated you would see the actual uncut version. I agree, it was pretty good.

14. Helm

Helm New Member

Ohh, i just realised im 5'11". Whoop.

Well, i used to be short anyway =)