Anyone has experience in horse riding?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by runcai, Nov 24, 2013.

1. runcai

runcai Valued Member

In the South of China, the practice of static stance is called zuo ma (坐馬) or zo6 maa5 in Cantonese which means sitting on a horse. Most teachers of Southern Chinese Martial Arts do demand serious students to practice static stance for a long time in the beginning until they are able to relax as if they were sitting on a horse. This is to enable them to move flexibly between different stances such as horse stance, forward stance, cross leg stance, and speedy transfer of weight between legs and stepping, etc.

I am a city dweller with very few occasions in horse riding, but reading about the positioning and alignment of horse riding seems confirming the logic in zuo ma. The hope is that people with practical experience can enlighten me on the subject.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'm not really sure what you're asking??

Is standing in horse stance the same as riding a horse? Not really.. Don't try to compare the two - both completely different creatures.

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I've never ridden a horse in my life but I've known several avid equestrians (ha! that should un-awkward the conversation some) and the impression I got is that it's anything but a static activity - more like a short ROM jump squat/good morning hybrid than a static stance.

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

The problem with people is they get caught up with the names, terms, and methods too literal

5. runcai

runcai Valued Member

It was suggested that "one should create proper alignment in your horse just as a chiropractor specializes in ligning the spine" in a horse riding web-site. This sounds like a good example of keeping the body straight while the lower part of the body being moved passively by the horse. Some web-sites even showing the alignment from top of the head to the heel.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Straight line from head to heel.

You imagine you are being pulled up, keeping a straight back, heels down.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Rode a lot of horses as a kid, nothing similar to the horse stance at all.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You guys over there ride a bit longer in the leg than over this side of the pond but yeah either way it's not particularly like horse stance.

9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I've ridden horses, but riding a horse is very different to the horse stance. The horse stance is basically a wide squat. Whether riding a horse is like sitting on a chair during an earthquake (or at least that's been my experience with horses).

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Instead of just train your boring "static" horse stance, it may be better to train your more fun "dynamic" hip throw instead. You can train any dynamic horse stance application. This way, you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone (develop good foundation and combat skill at the same time).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vHM639ZBeM&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Two things that I have learned:

- The name of a technique is not important.
    - There is no "standard" way to execute any particular technique.

12. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Thanks, I think "head up" and "riding a horse is like sitting on a chair during an earthquake" sound very good.

"Sitting on a horse" refers to any kind of stance in Kung Fu, and the basic idea is maining balance with flexible hip and knee and ankle joints. In a way this sort of preparing for dynamic movements. In Kung Fu, most beginners start with static stance. Well, at least in Hong Gar and Wing Chun are doing it in the old days.

13. runcai

runcai Valued Member

You are right in a way, but when you have to translate or explain a technique then I think it is important. Zuo Ma literally "sitting horse" and is very difference to a stance or Zhan Zhuang literally "standing pile". And we now have the standard of like ridding a horse. Zuo Ma in Hong Gar is like doing stance on a boat and that is like ridding on a horse. I think making up a suitable name for doing a fighting stance on a boat might be difficult in English or Chinese.

14. runcai

runcai Valued Member

How about a punting stance? Punt is a flat bottomed boat and punting is moving a punt with a pole. Now it sounds like Wing Chun.

15. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Dont try to learn martial arts from reading about a stance.
    Learn from a teacher who can show you proper postures.

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

A gave a form demo on the stage. B commented on A's demo that B's demo was so perfect, there were 6 horse stances in the form. All 6 horse stances looked exactly the same. What was the true meaning of B's comment?

If you try to

- punch your opponent on his chest, your horse stance will have "punching" intention.
    - throw your opponent over your back, your horse stance will have "lifting" intention.
    - press your opponent down to the ground, your horse stance will have "sinking" intention.
    - spin your opponent down to the ground, your horse stance will have "spinning" intention.

Whether you want to call it

- punching horse stance,
    - lifting horse stance,
    - sinking horse stance,
    - spinning horse stance,

the name is not important but your "intention" is. Try to think "dynamic" and not "static". This is why I think one will have better benefit to train "dynamic hip throw" than to train "static horse stance".

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  17. runcai

runcai Valued Member

I am only suggesting that a passive type of stance like riding or punting is not a static stance as some people understand. It is highly flaxible in changing from punching to kicking and then lifting, etc.

18. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Not to be pedantic but I thought the stance was called 馬步 (mabu).

19. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Zuo Ma is use in Kung Fu (Cantonese for Martial Arts). Mabu in Wushu (Mandarin for Martial Arts) is used for static stance while the dynamic stance is just call something Bu (step) like Baguabu for example. In Taijiquan, the terms Zuo Bu and Zuo Kua are used.