Anyone ever done MA weapons in the SCA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Combat Sports, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I was curious if any credited MA weapons experts have ever tried to use their skills in the Society for Creative Anachronism? (SCA)?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQjh8EQ5h40"]SCA Combat Types - YouTube[/ame]

The minimum armor you have to wear really lets you go off on your opponents. Weapons are made out of wood generally.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I was invited to in the late 80s, after beginning arnis. Never took them up on it though.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

like the music lol you should see if you can have this moved to the western martial art section it might get more reply's, there's actually quiet a sizeable little group of regular posters who could comment on the quality of this group from a place of expertise.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

That looks awesome! That would be a sweet way to use the luk dim boon gwan in some practical application :D

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Looks like LARPing, not saying that's a bad thing, it looks like great fun!

6. Combat Sports

Some LARPs do fight really hard. I participate in one myself that has it's roots in SCA. We just use padded weapons so that we don't all have to wear the very expensive armor. My armor costed around $1,000 but I will be able to pass it on to my great grandkids.

But the SCA has a rule set that could be a lot of fun for martial artists with weapons backgrounds. And the armor setup would allow you to go at full speed and intensity.

7. Pretty In Pink

Awesome. Could you tell us the rules?

8. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Aye that would be nice. If you could include grappling and striking in something like this it would also make for a fun integration of weapons and hand to hand both in single combat and massed formations.

9. Combat Sports

The system called "King's Rules" is that a blow has to be solid, you have to hit them with a certain amount of force for the blow to count.

If you are struck on a limb, you lose use of that limb. If this is your arm you would lose use of the weapon or shield on that arm. If this is one of your legs you would be forced to kneel. Some people hop on one foot in a situation like this but that is limited. If you are struck in the chest or head you are counted "out" and effectively dead in the skirmish.

Most of the combat is dealt with solely with the wooden weapons though individuals sometimes incorporate grappling and such, this sort of thing would be agreed upon by both participants but it's not very common. Because a single shot can eliminate you right off the bat you end up in fights where people are very cautious. You can watch some of the tournaments on youtube.

I am not in the SCA myself so I am not an expert but because the tourneys in my LARP use very similar rules I study some of their training tech. Some of the drills I learned are great.

This has the rules in better detail:

http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/

10. Combat Sports

This is a video if two high caliber fighters. The way you get noble ranks in the SCA is through winning crown tourneys. These are held at big gatherings periodically. Someone who has won these tourneys more then once will end up being a noble. I am uncertain how many it is for each but it scales up as you go. (Baron, Duke, etc.) The "King" is basically the current champion and someone who has been King multiple times will retain a lifetime title.

These are two Dukes, which would basically be like two former MMA multiple champions going at it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN5jTYA9YPU&feature=related"]Cynagua Coronet May 2011 - Duke Sean and Duke Uther - YouTube[/ame]

Duke Uther is one of my favorites.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

How very Monty Python.

:D

12. Pretty In Pink

Looks like great fun. Might look into it for giggles.

13. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Sweeping generalisation.

14. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

One thing I've wondered about the SCA is, how prevalent is grappling? Also, is harpooning people in the joints of the armor encouraged or discouraged? I imagine it'd be a conflict between safety and fundamental armor fighting tactics.

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I was friends with a guy who did SCA heavy fighting. If they grapple, I never saw evidence of it. From what I saw, intensity and the amount of force involved were both quite high. Training was pretty informal and unstructured, but lots of free-play and pressure-testing. I think the fact that a big guy is going to be swinging a wooden pole at you with force is enough to encourage most people to take their training seriously and put a lot into it.

Overall, when it comes to the SCA, I was much more impressed with their heavy weapons program than with their rapier fencing program. I personally am not excited about a group where I have to choose a fake name and role-play a fake persona in order to particpate, but to each their own.

16. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

By the official SCA combat rules, grappling or "prolonged body to body contact between fighters" is prohibited. The weapons are not wood, they are rattan.

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I thought rattan was a type of wood?

18. komuso

komuso Valued Member

ummm, actually it is a type of grass? (technically)

paul

19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You're one of those people who claims that the drink V8 should be called V7F1 because tomato is technically a fruit and not a vegetable, aren't you? ;)

20. Combat Sports

You can swing the wooden weapons pretty much as hard as you want because the people are wearing armor capable of stopping real weapons. I would not say that is a sweeping generalization.