Anybody know TKD's Bird Form?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by kwang gae, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. kwang gae

    kwang gae 광개 Sidekick Specialist

    This is a question I was asked recently on my website, and I have no idea how to answer. (BTW, my sites about sparring, not forms).

    Can anybody here help out Chris, and in so doing make me look smart? :D
  2. MadMonk108

    MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

    The only thing I can think is that he means 제비 품/Jaebi Poom, which is the Swallow Shape. It is most commonly done with a knife hand, and consists of a simultaneous interception with the lead hand and a knife hand strike to the neck of the attacker.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  3. kwang gae

    kwang gae 광개 Sidekick Specialist

    Thank you! I'll pass that along. :D
  4. franksv

    franksv Valued Member

    I used to use the bird form after I would lose at sparring.Its a hand form :D .
  5. MadMonk108

    MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

    We call that the Bullshido salute where I'm from.
  6. kwang gae

    kwang gae 광개 Sidekick Specialist

    Lose at sparring??? Sorry, I can't relate. :D That salute does seem familiar though. ;)
  7. MadMonk108

    MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

    That's because you haven't fought me yet.
  8. Alexander

    Alexander Possibly insane.

    Swallow, eh? That's interesting.

    Well in one of Hong Hi Choi's works, called Taekwon-Do, there is the 'En-pi' form that descended from Karate. In Karate 'Empi' is said to translate as 'flying swallow' so that could be it. Though I'm not sure that its that likely - I can't think of one organisation that does Taekwon-do and incorporates En-pi into the syllabus.

    It also hinges on Chris meaning 'form' as 'tul' or 'poomsae' rather that just 'move' or 'technique'.
  9. MadMonk108

    MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

    It gets more interesting.

    My Korean name is Jaebi.

    While the term literally means "Swallow", in contextual slang it also can also mean "playboy", just like the swallow flits from flower to flower, so a jaebi goes from girl to girl.

    You can imagine the incredibly difficult time I have introducing myself to Korean girls.

    This would be Yonbi in Korean. I don't think it's practiced in most TKD, aside from the Dangsoodo and Kongsoodo camps.

    This is why I went with the original answer I gave. It means "Swallow Shape". Form is another word for "shape".
  10. kwang gae

    kwang gae 광개 Sidekick Specialist

    I passed the info on to Chris, and she said it was "quite helpful." Thanks! :D
  11. dragonslayer

    dragonslayer New Member

    what is bird form??

    I have heard of bird form before and i think it is some sort of stance in the traditional tkd and not the wtf one.I am not really sure though.....anyone else know what is it please tell as i would really like to know.thanks.... :bang:
  12. MadMonk108

    MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

    I already did.
  13. KellyOwens

    KellyOwens Valued Member

    Our instructor usually tags on "mok chigi" to the "jebipoom" so it's:

    jebipoom mok chigi

    In the WTF forms it's used in taegeuk sahjang and palgue yookjang.

    It's a knifehand head block and a knifehand strike to the neck done simultaneously.

    Just found this about jebipoom mok chigi:


    It's the pic on the right. The pic on the left is "jebipoom teok chigi". Sorry, they wouldn't post seperately so I had to post them both :D .


    P.S. I was shown that the striking hand begins behind the head and the blocking hand begins at the opposite side of the face (if blocking with left hand it begins with palm facing the right cheek in a knifehand).

    P.P.S. I know you already forwarded the info but just thought I'd share anyway...I like pictures :D .
  14. MadMonk108

    MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

    Always a good thing.
  15. Liam Cullen

    Liam Cullen Valued Member

    Kelly -

    Just out of interest, why do you bring your blocking hand from the face rather than the waist? And do you also only raise your blocking hand to the same sort of level as the guy in the photo?
  16. Alexander

    Alexander Possibly insane.

    My heart bleeds for you. :D
  17. Mitch

    Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

    Looks like the 2nd move from Chung Moo in that pic, is that right Madmonk?

    Oh, and that dude's stance is way too narrow :p ;) :D

  18. MadMonk108

    MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

    Switch the feet, and yes, though the application for the movements would be different.

    Meh. Yours is too wide.
  19. KellyOwens

    KellyOwens Valued Member

    Hey Liam!

    Basically it requires less time and is a faster more natural transition than from the waist. Punches/strikes/jabs are generally fast and there's not a whole lot of time to work with :) .

    That's how it has been explained to me anyway.

    Yup, our block is raised only to about forehead level.

    Just to add, his stance would be considered too narrow at our school and his elbow is pulled back too far in both blocks also (one of our substitute instructors is extremely picky about that type of thing and he has beautiful forms :) ).

  20. EternalRage

    EternalRage Valued Member

    Well from a purely theoretical point of view (since using this thing in sparring would be suicide) if you start with your hands up by your head for the preparation, that's exposing alot of your body at once with no real gain of power or speed. And the rising block is too low, (theoreticallY) a hammerfist or high punch would tear through that. And in the picture arm doing the knife hand strike is too far out. You lose too much connection between the elbow and the hip, which without it you have less control (it is like swinging a bucket of water on a string - the farther away the load is the harder it is to control).

    As for the bird characteristics of this movement, I dunno about that, you would have to ask a Okinawan/Japanese karate practitioner since that's where the move is from. Heian/Pinan/Pyungahn 4.

Share This Page