Anybody know of a western internal martial art

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by AshlandAether, Sep 8, 2014.

1. AshlandAether

AshlandAether New Member

I've been searching for a western internal martial art and found close to nothing. Does anybody know of a new or preferably traditional martial art out of Europe or just non asian source. Tai chi and Xing Yi seem great but in the interest of paths less travelled , whats going on the west???

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

What do you feel defines an internal art? It's not a well defined concept, so it may be hard to pick an art based on whether or not it is internal.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Fencing is pretty internal. Pointy end goes in the other man.

4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

If I had to go out on a limb and recommend a western art that meets my personal criteria of what constitutes an internal art, the only art I can think of off the top of my head would be Systema.

5. AshlandAether

AshlandAether New Member

by internal i mean a training that emphasises / has training methods for the development of body awareness/ neurology/ and subtle energy

and attacks that include shocking the chakras so to speak. ... the projection of subtle energy with malintent in conjuction with the physical strike

6. philosoraptor

I'd be skeptical of any and all martial arts that claim such abilities.

7. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Yeah, Systema comes pretty close to your definition. Systema focuses on correct breathing as well as on maintaining a certain relaxed/calm psychological state. Their strikes are based on generating power through a lack of tension. There is an aspect of spirituality that comes through the association of the art with Russian Orthodox Christianity.

8. AshlandAether

AshlandAether New Member

yeah i am .. such things border the occult and as such are mired in smoke, mirrors and secrecy

I've personally experience energetic healing and conflict in my life journey and was wondering if any such thing has at least been claimed and or structured within a western style. perhaps I should just look to the east and start simply with some tried and true stuff to go that route.

Please read the ToS regarding our policy on masked profanity.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  9. AshlandAether

AshlandAether New Member

thanks for the suggestion . i'll look into systema in Los Angeles. might you have any info on the most legit teachers, schools, affiliations, type thing.

10. philosoraptor

Good luck with that I guess.

[​IMG]

11. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Nope sorry, personally I'm not a fan of Systema. I think time spent learning Systema could be spent far more productively in other arts (if your focus is learning how to fight effectively). If your goal is spiritual development than personally I wouldn't choose martial arts as a way of developing spiritually, not saying it can't be done, just that there are better (more focused) options out there.

That being said, of the western arts I feel that Systema best meets the criteria you provided. It is the only western art I can think of that seems to be analogous to the asian internal arts. Please note that I'm not making a recommendation as to what art you should study, just answering your question regarding what western art could be considered as an internal art.

12. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

How about boxing? A good uppercut can really shock your chin chakra!

13. AshlandAether

AshlandAether New Member

yeah i'm at the brainstorming stage where i want to do everything . my interest in "western internal martial arts" is more academic curiosity but then i though wait maybe I should go see what training is like. in my other thread I post some criteria on what type of fight training id like to do.

about internal martial arts it just seems to me that if there is something to it that it should exist in the west more. I read in a xing yi book that old time bareknuckle boxing most approximates xing yi .

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

What is "subtle energy"?

What you're speaking of doesn't sound like the things defined as subtle energies within the Tai Chi,Hsing I, or Pa Kua systems.What you describe sounds like "ch'i strikes".

The guys who fight,or in past days fought using T'ai Chi,Hsing I,or Pa Kua don't/didn't concern themselves with shocking chakras.The statements of boxers who were old in the 1970s on usage of these systems is pretty down to earth. The utilization of what are defined in these systems as energies is a result of body mechanics and/or tactile sensitivity.

And trust me, those things and what the results can be are weird enough!

If you can find a good teacher in one of these systems you'll get all the body awareness/command, Yi,and subtle energy (as defined by the systems) training you could ask for. Good hunting!

15. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Try Martin Wheeler - there is no "chakra work", but a lot of health work alongside the fighting. He is at the Academy Beverly Hills, alongside Rigan Machado