Anybody going to the ITF Worlds in Birmingham (Aug 1st-6th)?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Gizmo, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

I wonder if any of the MAP members is going to take part (as a competitor, official or a spectator) in the ITF World Championships that will be held in the NIA in Birmingham from August 1st to 6th? They're hosted by the UKITF on behalf of Master Choi's ITF group. I'm going to be there with a small Polish squad of coloured belts. The event's website is http://www.itfworldchampionships.com/

2. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I might come and spectate

3. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

Cool, if you'd be there just look for the Polish team, maybe we will have some time to chat :)

4. Am I allowed to fight?

5. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

youll need a BTC license to fight in ITF competitions unless your from overseas

6. Screw 'em

7. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

"allowed" and "fight" dont really work in the same sentence like that Rags.

8. Lets not beat around the bush. Not insured, dont have this license, whatever else.

They either let you or they dont.

I dont see how it can be a World Championships if they exclude people.

9. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

Well, that's easy - these are not Open World Championships, they`re just for this particular organisation's members. To compete in WTF event you have to have Kukkiwon certificate and to be selected by the National Governing Body - yet, these are still World Championships.

Come over to Poland in March for our own Polish Open Championships, there will be also a nice open ITF event in Cork / Ireland in November...

10. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

Which tourney is that Gizmo?

11. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

IUTF Irish Open will be in November 2007.

12. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Its an ITF world championships i.e for ITF members and the BTC whom ITF are mebers insist on all competitors have BTC insurance when it comes down to it its the BTC who are the insurer not the ITF

13. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

I would go and spectate if it weren't for my unfortunate lack of cash. And the fact that I can still clearly remember the TAGB even in the exact same venue a month ago.

14. 2sweet

2sweet Valued Member

Very true Rags! But that is the state of play now days I'm afraid.

You really don't need to look very hard to find someone putting on a world championships of some sort somewhere in the world pretty much every month!!! :confused:

I wouldn't read too much into them if I was you.

I came 3rd in the worlds last month but IMO it is only a 3rd in the TKDI world champs. Don't get me wrong it was tough & some top fighters were in attendance but There is also this Itf worlds coming up, another Group held a world champs in Canada a short while back, & the ETF are holding one in Germany in Oct I think!

How many World champions does one world need anyway???

I would stick to doing the open comps if I were you!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  15. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I think all the ITF's should come together for the world champs, that way every country gets a bigger selection!! And we can see who truly are the best competitors!! It's realistically the only way someone can be crowned world Champion and know there's no one else in the competitive world that could be standing in there place

16. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

Well, we also do not place that much emphasis on being a champion of whatever. The main point is, we need a good tournament, with lots of good opponents and nice atmosphere, and the federation and title is just another story. One of the best tournaments in Poland is called Open Opole Region Championships and yet it usually attracts more people than the Polish Championships due to its unique atmosphere.

ITF Worlds in Birmingham is just another challenge for us, we have an opportunity to take part, so off we go. We competed WTF before, TAGB, BUTF, WAKO, ETF and can't remember exactly what else. If tomorrow a group called XYZ Taekwondo Federation will invite us to their event, we can consider that, provided that it will be a good tournament.

Still, I spoke to Master Ron Sergiew and we hope to visit the local TAGB school during our stay in Birmingham if our schedule permits - it would be a nice addition to our trip.

17. 2sweet

2sweet Valued Member

Great Attitude to have Gizmo! I quite agree.
    A good tournament with good opponents is all that really matters at the end of the day.

18. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

Well, off to Birmingham tonight. Some sight-seeing, competition on Saturday and hopefully we will make the TAGB class on Sunday evening. I will post some infos after I'll get back.

19. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

Hi everyone,

we got back safely from Birmingham yesterday evening after a late flight and 2 traffic jams underway, tired but very happy, taking home 3 gold medals und 1 silver - everybody got one!

Pictured are:

Michal Danko - silver in junior sparring blue/red belt -70 kgs
    Iwona Duklewska - gold in senior red belt sparring
    Wojciech Szwarc - gold in cadet yellow belt patterns
    Jakub Kret - gold in junior sparring blue/red belt over 70 kgs (he should have actually been in -70 kg, but moved one category up on his own request to avoid meeting his teammate in the same division - and weighing only 67 kgs, he did a fine demolition job in the heaviest category...)

Soon there will be a full report and more pictures published on my website.

Attached Files:

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

congrats :)