Any word on Alex Wilkie in NJ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hux, May 24, 2007.

1. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I'm on long term assignment in Somerset, NJ. The closest MA school of an kind I can find is:

http://www.alexwilkie.aikidesigns.com/

any word on this school? I was thinking I might give systema a shot. I'll be here about a year, I think.

2. hux

hux ya, whatever.

well, as an MMA and kickboxing school they get two thumbs up from me - depsite the website kinda promoting a somewhat thuggish image ;) Alex is technically sound and the guys are cool to work with you. There's a pro fighter training there and he seems great as well.

I haven't tried the systema class yet.

3. robj

robj New Member

So this place good ? What about for a beginner? I'm new to the scene hoping to learn a variety of mma and hopefully find something that is for me...

4. hux

hux ya, whatever.

LOL yea I was just posting on your other thread :)

Here's the thing..you'll be partnering up with someone approx. your size. Could be another beginner, could be a pro fighter. The thing is, though, everybody is VERY good to work with you no matter what level yer at. You'll do some rolling on your first night - but again, they are great to work with. Nobody is going to hurt you intentionally, but look forward to tapping a lot.

Heck, if it will help with comfort level I'll work with you the first few times. I'm certainly no instructor but I've been training MMA for about a year altogether pre and post surgery.

Be ready to work yer ass off in the heat. There's no A/C there. I highly recommend calling and talking to Barry with additional questions. Tell him Charles the computer nerd from NC sent you ;) He'll get a kick out of that. :)

PS there are some hotties that train on Tuesday(kickboxing) nights. I'm just sayin'.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  5. robj

robj New Member

Hey thanks for the heads up. I acctually called a few times yesterday but no one picked up ( I called around 2 pm ? im guessing to early? ) I ended up just shooting out an email before I left work for some more info... Do you know if they have an intro or could I come by and watch a class or somthing?

Thanks for the tuesdays info lol, if i join up I'll have to make that a mandatory night

6. hux

hux ya, whatever.

ya, nobody is there till about 6pm most days. They're kind of slow to respond to emails sometimes, they don't really do the whole computers thing very much. ;)

I observed a class before jumping in, and I see folks observing all the time. I'm sure it won't be an issue.

I look forward to meetin'! New rolling partners = awesome. ;)

7. robj

robj New Member

now im getting excited :) ill be the computer nerd from NJ lol... also do you know if they have classes saterdays come the fall ?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  8. hux

hux ya, whatever.

ya, I am fairly certain they do - open workouts too, I think. During the summer there are no classes on Saturdays.

Barry or Alex would prolly be better person to talk to on that one, I'd be afraid to say wrong ;)

9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

Barry call you back? You gonna be around Monday?

10. robj

robj New Member

nothing on the email yet.. and i didnt get a chance to call i completely forgot... my friend and i plan on going down monday tho. You dont think it would be a problem to just show up eh ? I figure we will stop in 730 or so monday and possibly even tuesday.

Is there anything i need to bring etc etc?

11. hux

hux ya, whatever.

nah, definitely not a problem to just show up. They'll want you to sign a waiver if yer gonna work out, standard stuff.

If yer just wanting to observe you don't need anything - if yer planning on working out I highly recommend a mouthpiece and cup...but they're not required. They have bag gloves and pads there at the school. Just communicate with your partner, tell them yer a beginner - make sure you know how to 'tap out' - and then don't be afraid to.

I'd hydrate really well that day and don't eat within 2 hours of class. But eat well before that LOL. I'll wear my "Poker Stars" T shirt in case you wanna meet.

Good luck! And congrats on beginning yer journey, even if it leads you away from Alex's. :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  12. hux

hux ya, whatever.

oh - bring 20 dollah for monday's class, I think tuesday is 14. If you decide to stay the monthly fee is a much better deal. 80ish for unlimited classes/month.

13. robj

robj New Member

cool well looks like ill be there... i brought some cloths but my buddy will be going right from work i dont think he managed to get a change of cloths with him so we might just watch this time but if it looks cool we will probably be back even as early as tomorrow to start

14. robj

robj New Member

Hey hux .. quick question... how intense is the kickboxing class.. how much legwork ? my legs are KILLING me from yesterday but the upper body is fine.... wondering if i should come out tonight or if ill fall over lol . lemmi know !

15. hux

hux ya, whatever.

We do jumping jacks and such during the warmup, and I usually find soreness is worked out by the time we finish that. We'll do some kicking but not a tremendous amount generally. Aleve is your friend :) Last night's warmup was not the typical one we do. Normally we do some stretching and such after a brief period of bouncing around.

Good job last night man, you were doing real well in the rolling portion IMHO. You work with those monsters you can't help but get better. My game(what little there is) has gotten a hell of a lot better just in the last month I have been playing there. Most important thing IMHO is to learn to relax and let thigs flow on their own. Shrug. Your attitude seems great, and that's what will make you a great MA no matter what the system ends up being.

/ghey :)

16. robj

robj New Member

cool maybe ill hunt down some alleve and then come work out again.... worst that happends if i fall over lol good thing the groudn is padded. oh and am i gettin punched tonight? or is it more of a workout think ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  17. hux

hux ya, whatever.

only if ya wanna be! ;)

at 9pm the folks who want to spar head over to the ring and do so. Otherwise you keep working the mitts. It's the same kind of thing as last night - just communicate with yer partner and whoever is running the ring(usually a guy named 'Machete', and he lives up to it :) ) that yer starting out and you'll be fine. Headgear is required, you can just grab one off the floor or even borrow mine if you want..

You really should , however, have a mouthpiece and cup. Accidents happen.

18. robj

robj New Member

hmmm i might just skip out on tonight and go buy myself a cup and mouth piece and get ready for next weeks kickboxing and all ... def want to get the cup soon

19. hux

hux ya, whatever.

LOL i hear ya man. I was thinking of slacking tonight too, that great big dude I was rolling with last night caught me in a knee bar on my surgery leg...I nearly ****ed myself on the spot - and it's a little stiff tonight.

Getting old sucks. I don't recommend it. See you next week, and congrats again.

20. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I wussed out tonight. :(

that big dude I pointed out in the red and white shorts is this guy:

http://www.abouata.com/

he's a nice guy, another IT guy in web design(!). Mostly I try to avoid eye contact and stay out of his way LOL